Massachusetts Athletics Branding

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
FightMass19
Sophomore

Massachusetts Athletics Branding

Post by FightMass19 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:22 pm

How do you guys feel about the branding of athletics at UMass?

Personally, I feel it leaves a lot to be desired. Notably with our primary mark, the Power U. However, I give the administration credit for making some good moves, like using "Massachusetts" more often and using the state outline on the uniforms.

IMO, go back to the interlocking UM, call ourselves Massachusetts (so no one mistakes us with Lowell ever again), and use real maroon.

What do you guys think?

DearOleUMass
Sophomore

Re: Massachusetts Athletics Branding

Post by DearOleUMass » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:53 pm

I prefer the most recent "UM" logo over the Power U but the Power U has grown on me.

Definitely think we need to move towards using 'Massachusetts' on all of our jerseys like we did with the Fenway Football uniforms.

It's annoying as hell that we don't use maroon as our color. I don't care what the administration says, we actually use red and it looks terrible in my opinion.

nighttrain777
Junior

Post by nighttrain777 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:57 am

^ ^^
I agree with you both. Our colors should always be Maroon and White. And the interlocking UM looked great on the helmets.
'Fight On' You Loyal Sons and Daughters of Metawampe.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:13 pm

I actually really like the Power U and it took awhile to win me over. Even bought my first shirt with that logo just last week. Agree on the other stuff, I love when we are branded as Massachusetts and love seeing the state outline. I think they're doing some good things with branding. I'm glad they are going away from the straight block letter "UMASS". That was pretty boring.

JD14
Freshman

Post by JD14 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:25 pm

IMO the interlocking UM looks like a D2 logo. Reminds me of Merrimack College.

I have the unpopular opinion that I enjoy the Adidas UMass Bright Maroon. "Red" is the color worn by Louisville or NC State. Our Maroon also distinguishes us from the other maroon and white universities (Texas A&M/Miss St.....can't tell them apart at first look).

I do enjoy seeing 'Massachusetts' spelled out, but we should also be known simply as 'UMass'. Lowell should be required to add the modifier.

FightMass19
Sophomore

Post by FightMass19 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:43 pm

JD14 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:25 pm IMO the interlocking UM looks like a D2 logo. Reminds me of Merrimack College.
Perhaps we're thinking of different logos - I'm referring to the ones used on the helmets for the Ohio game. I agree that the old stacked UM (U slightly higher than the M) that we used a few years ago looks like Merrimack's logo, but the interlocking UM looks more D1 to me than any of the other logos we've used. A timeless look that would look good on all pieces of apparel, souvenirs, etc.
JD14 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:25 pm I do enjoy seeing 'Massachusetts' spelled out, but we should also be known simply as 'UMass'. Lowell should be required to add the modifier.
I think in conversation we will always be know as UMass, much like Michigan is referred to as UM or UMich in Michigan (my buddy is from there and tells me this is the case). But I hope moving forward we will be seen as Massachusetts on TV.

FightMass19
Sophomore

Post by FightMass19 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:45 pm

This is the UM logo I'm referring to:

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:23 pm

FightMass19 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:45 pm This is the UM logo I'm referring to:

This is probably the best looking uniform the team has worn for years.

FightMass19
Sophomore

Post by FightMass19 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:26 pm

e_parade wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:23 pm
Agreed 100% - I think if they were to make the maroon jerseys say "Massachusetts" across the chest like they do on the Fenway Uni's, then we'd have an all-time great combo.

JD14
Freshman

Post by JD14 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:24 am

FightMass19 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:45 pm This is the UM logo I'm referring to:

I do love this logo. Thank you for the clarification!

gosox22
Junior

Post by gosox22 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:14 pm

FightMass19 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:26 pm
e_parade wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:23 pm
Agreed 100% - I think if they were to make the maroon jerseys say "Massachusetts" across the chest like they do on the Fenway Uni's, then we'd have an all-time great combo.
No doubt. Love this uniform.

eXelwood
Sophomore

Post by eXelwood » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:08 pm

I like real maroon, the other red hued colors look more like BC, we should also brand ourselves as Massachusetts ends the hyphen issue, Bring back the Julius era Maroon and white and white and maroon jerseys with Massachusetts on the front.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:55 am

I obviously prefer maroon but jiminy christmas pick a damn color. When 2 "maroon" shirts are hanging next to each other at McGuirk I shouldn't be able to tell they are different colors just by walking by.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:12 pm

eXelwood wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:08 pm I like real maroon, the other red hued colors look more like BC, we should also brand ourselves as Massachusetts ends the hyphen issue, Bring back the Julius era Maroon and white and white and maroon jerseys with Massachusetts on the front.
Maybe I'm rationalizing the irrational, but I've learned to accept the red by two things (though I doubt these are in any way motivating factors):
1.) We were the Redmen in some of our best years. Fusia and early MacPherson eras in football, turned out legends like Pro Bowlers Milt Morin and Greg Landry. In basketball we made our first NCAA Tourney in '62, and the NIT in '70 and '71 under Jack Leaman with Dr. J graduating the year prior to the name change (I believe).
2.) The Massachusetts Bay Colony flag was red and white.

Yes I prefer maroon, but I think we need to realize that two of our "maroons" are also closer to red than they are to some other schools maroons.
Here's Mass. Maroon (used in academics):
Here's the maroons used for athletics:

Compare this to Aggie Maroon (used by Texas A&M athletics/academics):
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

FightMass19
Sophomore

Post by FightMass19 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:44 pm

UMass Athletics recently sent out an email asking for participation in a survey. A significant part of this survey was regarding branding/logos.

So, if you're not a fan of the Power U, and want to see a superior alternative (i.e Interlocking UM) - then check your email and make your voice heard!