UMass Dining

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
UMass'96
Junior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

UMass Dining

Post by UMass'96 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:24 pm

What's the deal with UMass Dining?

I get it that the UMass dining commons have won all sorts of awards for great chow but now they have their name on the floor and people are holding UMass Dining signs in the stands stating it's #1?

Unless the Dining Commons are now somehow sponsoring the basketball team, why is their name everywhere. I actually found it a bit embarrassing as I watched the game with some friends at a bar and they asked me the same question...

Are the dining commons run by an independent third party vendor, not associated with the University other than to feed students? And if so, why advertise unless you are trying to appeal to a wider audience to generate revenue. Although I'm not sure who looks at the UMass floor and suddenly thinks, "Hmmm, UMass Dining. I need to have them cater my wedding out here in New Hampshire."
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

69MG
Hall of Fame

Re: UMass Dining

Post by 69MG » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:26 pm

UMass Dining was ranked #1 for campus food by The Princeton Review. It's a nationally televised game and a chance to get our name out there in front of a national audience. What's your problem with this?

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:36 pm

My only issue is how Deeky slipped on their logo last night. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see that logo removed from the floor by the next home game.

On a related note, I had the game on in the living room last night and my wife commented about the logo. When the woman who doesn't really care about sports notices, that's a testimonial.

UMass'96
Junior

Post by UMass'96 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:41 pm

69MG wrote:UMass Dining was ranked #1 for campus food by The Princeton Review. It's a nationally televised game and a chance to get our name out there in front of a national audience. What's your problem with this?
It has nothing to do with basketball and makes us look like a Mickey Mouse organization. Seriously, we're advertising our dining commons????!!!

If you want to be great you have to look, act and perform great. Advertising food isn't going to cut it.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:08 pm

Considering the recognition that UMass Dining has gotten over the last few years, I think it's smart to push it more.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:25 pm

Best thing on the floor last night
Nothing worth having is easy to get

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:47 pm

Multiple Fortune 500 companies aren't beating down the door to be sponsors of UMass Athletics. The athletic department will take whatever it can get, even if it's from within the University.

If promoting dining is a covert way to promote admissions and increase the school's profile, then I'm all for it. Otherwise, what's the end game with their advertising? Why are the doing it?

Promotions from Dining at Mullins isn't new - they'd had signage on the end cap scoreboards for many, many years. The advertising is just much more visible with the graphic on the court. I'm just concerned about the money used to promote dining. With the volatility of food prices, why would they spend so much money on advertising? I'd rather see them use the money to help offset rising food prices or lower the price of the meal plans. Dining Services is supposed to be revenue-neutral - advertising like this makes it more difficult to do that.

If a logo for any kind of marketing affects the field (or court) of play, it should immediately be removed. I don't want to see someone get hurt just because Dining Services needed to spread the word.

Does Athletics even manage sponsorships? I thought they outsourced that to Learfield. I believe Learfield does the leg work, takes a cut of the money, and gives the rest to Athletics.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:21 pm

Floyd wrote:Best thing on the floor last night
Well played, sir.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:14 pm

MikeUMA wrote:My only issue is how Deeky slipped on their logo last night. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see that logo removed from the floor by the next home game.
Are they going to remove the entire court too?

harbo
Senior

Post by harbo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:34 pm

Maybe Whip had some o-linemen in recently and treated them well in the dining commons. With last night being national tv, maybe it was a subliminal message in case they tuned in.

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:26 pm

It's clearly getting people to talk and look into the dining program if they didn't already know, so from a marketing standpoint, that's a home run. I see nothing wrong with it other than something else people want to complain about.
Hire Matt McCall!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:17 pm

Swampy wrote:
Floyd wrote:Best thing on the floor last night
Well played, sir.
Thank you, thank you
And a Jimmy Beam to you
Nothing worth having is easy to get

UMass'96
Junior

Post by UMass'96 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:27 am

I appreciate all of the thoughtful replies and humor. :D

I just thought it was a bit small potatoes for a school looking to place itself on the map.

xlgman
Hall of Fame

Post by xlgman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:22 pm

UMass'96 wrote:I appreciate all of the thoughtful replies and humor. :D

I just thought it was a bit small potatoes for a school looking to place itself on the menu.
fixed that for you.
This is the most enjoyable losing season ever!

chapter 11
Junior

Post by chapter 11 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:24 pm

I often notice other universities utilize the medical school logo on post game press conferences and on the advertisements displayed in arenas. We may do the same. Other than that I suggest placing a huge UMass Political Science logo on the football field.