Politics

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
DEM
Senior

Re: Politics

Post by DEM » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:41 am

UMass87 wrote: Just to disabuse you of the idea that Politico is not right-leaning (while also corporatist and establishment) you should read this nice history of Politico:

https://www.washingtonian.com/2016/07/1 ... ton-allen/
You don't have to disabuse me of anything - I wasn't making the case that they are left-leaning. My main point was that, as you yourself said, they are corporatist and establishment, and that distinction, up to this point in the election, has been a more important one than whether they are "left or right".

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:49 am

MJatUM wrote:
ktabz16 wrote:As far as polling goes, the Republicans always take a slight lead around RNC time, so I take those polls with a grain of salt.

Edit - the Republican platform is a god awful mess of homophobia and anti-reality. Making Mike Pence the VP nominee reinforces the platform. The entire Republican party should be disqualified from holding office for endorsing such a vicious and backwards platform.
There needs to be a "new" republican party where we kick out the crazy evangelicals (who unfortunately, I feel make up a majority of the party that actually goes out to vote). When the hell is there going to be a socially moderate (read: common sense) republican. FFS, there are a BILLION better hills to die on than denying gay marriage. Infuriating doesn't even begin to describe it.
You're describing the Libertarian Party. The social bullshit from Republicans like Pense turns so many people off, including myself. That being said, do you think Trump would even do anything about the gay marriage ruling if he ever won? I highly doubt it. He doesn't give a shit, he's an NY liberal at his core.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:21 pm

^ I'm a combination of Libertarian and Repub... I'm not pacifist enough to qualify as libertarian. I'm also for very small government but, I believe, the libertarian party wants NO government involvement with things such as public schools. I think all three parties have their good but it's become such a black and white world that nobody lives in the gray when it comes to politics and it just pisses everyone off.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:07 pm

MJatUM wrote:...
There needs to be a "new" republican party where we kick out the crazy evangelicals (who unfortunately, I feel make up a majority of the party that actually goes out to vote). When the hell is there going to be a socially moderate (read: common sense) republican. FFS, there are a BILLION better hills to die on than denying gay marriage. Infuriating doesn't even begin to describe it.
The GOP needed to broaden its registered base in the 60s and so began a very successful effort to recruit non business-class (i.e. Chamber of Commerce) people to the party. Evangelicals were a natural fit and churches could be used to mobilize members to both vote and run for local office. The GOP, over the past fifty years, has built, from the ground up, a whole new party. Unfortunately for the establishment Republicans the new recruits - many, many of whom started in local office - have usurped control of the party. It may be bad for non-evangelical conservatives but it was a master class in wresting control of local and state governments. Contrast it with the Green Party which is roughly twenty years old and has accomplished almost nothing. The Green Party would have been better off as a faction of the Democratic Party and pulling the same grass-roots coup that the evangelicals have.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:46 pm

All is well though, Scott Baio is here to Make America Great Again :lol:

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:23 am

Apparently, Mrs. Trump, while good looking, delivered a speech that was written for her by someone who stole from Mrs. Obama's convention speech.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:54 pm

m626t wrote:Apparently, Mrs. Trump, while good looking, delivered a speech that was written for her by someone who stole from Mrs. Obama's convention speech.
.... allegedly..... :wink:

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:48 am

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, what's up?
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:25 am

^ Everyone is too depressed to say anything.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:52 am

Trump's supposedly up as much as 5 points in the latest CNN poll over Hilrod. Shows just how much the country hate her if people are increasingly backing this egomaniacal buffoon. Sad state of affairs indeed.

Also, not sure how Bernie can keep toeing the Democratic party line after it's been blatantly proven that Wasserman Schultz did everything in her power to make sure he wasn't getting the nomination.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:05 pm

What is up? WHAT IS UP?

The political establishments as we know them are in a race to see who can be the most inept and unintelligible people on the face of the earth.

I have a 6 year old who occasionally pays attention to some of the stuff I have on TV. She has seen both candidates on TV in the last few months and these were a couple of her comments:

TRUMP - Why is he such a bully, he is just calling all of those other men names? My teacher would make him sit in the corner for a long time if he was in my class... Does his mommy know that he talks like that to other people?

HILLARY - Who is she yelling at? All she does is yell at all those people. Did they do something wrong?
She also saw one of those set up pieces where Hillary was sitting in a small group of people who were talking to her and my daughter said.... I don't think that lady cares what those people are saying to her, she looks like she is just shaking her head for no reason.

Interesting stuff from a "not so" clueless child.....

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:13 pm

^^^^^^^
That is fantastic and so spot on. I think your 6 year old is already more mature than the Donald ever will be.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:20 pm

Bill's speech last night was an embarrassment and an insult to every single person over the age of 25 in this country.

The thing is - almost NOBODY cared if Bill was getting hummers under his desk in the oval office, in the Presidential limo, or on a conference call with his full cabinet - except of course congress who impeached the guy - which literally meant nothing in reality. He did a pretty good job as president - THAT is all that mattered.

Our culture has proven time and time and time again that you can fuck up all you want if you are good at your job - From Clinton to Pitino to CEO's of fortune 100 companies to the dozens of Athletes who have committed crimes the regular guy would get jail time for - if you bring results, your misgivings are mostly swept under the rug. The Bill doesn't get blowies any more because he is too old - not because he found religion and has buried the hatchet with his cow of a wife.

He just threw his entire scumbag personal life in our faces (and especially Hillary's face). The guy was up there last night basically saying Fuck You you dumbass American people, I did whatever the hell I felt like AND IT DIDN'T REALLY HAPPEN - ROTFLMAO!

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:03 pm

You're so cynical Eldonabe. I thought it was a beautiful breakdown of quintessential American love story. :lol:

In all seriousness, Bubba is the smoothest, most charismatic speaker I have ever seen or heard in my lifetime. Guy could sell ice to the Eskimos. With that being said, I think his days of skirt chasing and partying on Air F*ck One are catching up to him. He sounded a little long in the tooth last night.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:35 pm

Obama is the coolest podium prez in my lifetime and it ain't even close.