Spurs Futbol/And all things EPL

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Re: Spurs Futbol/And all things EPL

Post by Juice Stand » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:12 pm

Big news there, although not surprising. USMNT is in my top 3 favorite teams to watch and I hope they can start to make a bigger push. Nothing is more exciting than the World Cup and we should be more competitive.

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:19 pm

Not against firing Klinsmann, but if the Arena rumors are right then they simply made a change just to make a change and to not get better. Arena isn't going get this US men's program to another level. If anything he could bring it backwards. Wish they went after Vermes or Oscar Pareja
Hire Matt McCall!

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:04 pm

I hate the Arena hire
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

mdogt12
Hall of Fame

Post by mdogt12 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:13 pm

Do not like JK or Arena. There was not an up and coming young coach we could have tapped?

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:56 am

^ I'm sure there is, but nothing US Soccer does makes much sense.
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:42 pm

There was a few up and coming younger coaches who I would of preferred over Arena, however in a way this hire does make sense. The team is in a tight but not impossible spot in the Hex after losing their first two matches of 10, they need someone who knows how to navigate the Hex and get them through. In that sense, Arena is a good hire. I have to think Arena is their interim manager through WC2018, after that they'll likely go after a younger manager who can take USA soccer to another level and be around a number of years. Greg Berhalter (Columbus SC), Caleb Porter (Portland FC), Jason Kreis (Orlando SC), and Peter Vermes (Sporting Kansas City) should all be looked at.
Hire Matt McCall!

MassModestMouse
Senior

Post by MassModestMouse » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:00 pm

BUMP

Are we title contenders? Here's hoping we keep our run over city going this weekend 8)
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:06 pm

Absolutely title contenders! Stole a point today at City! We were very fortunate that Walker's push wasn't called. Not only would it have been a penalty that likely would of gave City a 3-1 lead but Walker would have received a red card and the accompanying suspension. The soccer gods were on our side though, and within 60 seconds of the push Walker-Kane-Son pulled off a beautiful goal. Both goals today were things of beauty, and in that sense we should have had all 3 points as both of City's goals came from mistakes by Lloris. I'd venture to say we won't see two mistakes from Lloris in the rest of his Spurs tenure like we say today within 10 minutes of themselves.

Biggest hurdle Spurs will face in their title race is injuries, especially along the backline. Vertonghen is already out 6 weeks (which is better then the original 10 weeks estimate), and Toby went down today with a hamstring injury....which is said that it is not anything serious. Our worst run this season has been when Toby was out, so hopefully the 10 day break between league matches is all he needs. People gave me greif when I asked if we need to go out and get another CB or two during the transfer window after the Vertonghen injury....saying that Wimmer filled in last season seamlessly and Trippier can play in the 3-4-3. However, we saw today that Wimmer is not suited for the 3-4-3 (3-4-2-1) and we had to go back to our 4-2-3-1. We're at our best when we can play 3-4-3 so if we can get someone who can fill in for Vertonghen, and then be a soild backup to him when we return then we should. Legit title chances don't happen every season, and I think we struggle next season when we have to play at Webley for a full season, so we should do what we can to make a run this season. It won't be easy to make up a 6 (and probably 9 after tomorrow) point gap on Chelsea, but there seems to be a chink in their armor.

Aside from CB, I'd love to see another attacking mid or striker brought in as it looks like Lamela will be out for the season. His injury has kept him out longer than expected, and he has yet to progress towards getting better. Lamela's absence has been overlooked with our stellar play, but he certainly is missed. Would love to see more minutes from Nkoudou as he's looked very good in cup play, but hasn't even been in the 18 during league play. Sissoko got off to a rough start in a Spurs kit, but has looked better and better every match lately. Hopefully, we can start to see some of that improved form from Janssen too.

FA Cup 4th round match against League Two side Wycombe Wanders is up next before playing Sunderland on the 31st to resume league play. Spurs have Sunderland and Middlesbrough before a HUGE match at Anfield against Liverpool. I see Spurs and Liverpool as Chelsea's main competition for the top spot so this match will be absolutely huge and will show if Spurs are title contenders or just be focused on holding onto a Champions League spot. Liverpool has a home match with Chelsea prior so hopefully they can bring Chelsea back to the pack some before we go into Anfield and take 3 points!!
Hire Matt McCall!

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:51 pm

Huge match tonight for the USMNT in their journey towards trying to qualify for World Cup 2018. Missing some key pieces due to injury (Bobby Wood and Fabian Johnson) and Jermaine Jones is suspended. Arena's first WC qualifier since coming back. Pretty much a must win in San Jose against Honduras before going to Panama on Tuesday. They need to get at least 4 points from these two matches. If they can get 6 it would calm many nerves.

Hopefully Arena plays Pulisic centrally, and uses Duece appropriately. Match doesn't kick off till 10:50, taking forever to get here! Hopefully they can get a goal early and get the momentum going in the right direction early. Will be interesting to see which formation Arena goes with. Would have most definitely gone with both Wood and Altidore up top, but with Wood out does he with just Jozy??

Praying for good things!!! LETSSSS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Hire Matt McCall!

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:43 am

WHAT A PERFORMANCE! 6-0 thrashing of Honduras! Dempsey makes an incredible comeback with a hat trick, Bradley played like he's capable of playing, and Pulisic no longer looks like a superstar in the making....he is a superstar! Great job by Arena with his lineup and where he played guys....especially Pulisic in centrally. Another big one on Tuesday at Panama who is coming off an awful result, losing at Trinidad.
Hire Matt McCall!

MassModestMouse
Senior

Post by MassModestMouse » Mon May 01, 2017 9:16 am

Well we might not have Chelsea but at least we'll have this

https://twitter.com/Simply_Spurs/status ... 1476006914

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon May 01, 2017 10:04 am

It's been a great season... Unfortunately Chelsea basically has a cake walk into the league championship but needing one point to clinch a top 4 spot with 4 games to go should not go overlooked. Knocking Arsenal out of top 5 contention was a sweet sweet cherry on top :lol: Hell, depending how the tables look in a couple weeks I might just root for United on 5/14 :twisted:

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Mon May 01, 2017 7:27 pm

^ You wouldn't go so far as to root for Chelsea in the FA Cup, would you?

Didn't think so.

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Sat May 13, 2017 11:02 am

Would you Spurs fans allow me this shout-out for EPL Champion Chelsea FC? Even you guys have to admit they were pretty damned good this year. I love Antonio Conte, the anti-Jose!

MassModestMouse
Senior

Post by MassModestMouse » Sat May 13, 2017 11:28 am

Fair. I spent a decent amount of time the past 2 years hating Chelsea with every fiber of my being (even moreso than arsenal). But the job that Conte did is phenomenal and the fact that he even made them vaguely likable is an amazing achievement. How's that for praise :D