3%
Undecided
6%

Total votes: 33

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Re: Presidential poll August

Post by Berkman » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:49 pm

Is it not amazing that for those who predicted doom and gloom for the stock market if Trump won can now see the DOW up over 19,000 for the first time ever.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:24 am

Why the reluctance? How is this NOT a really bad thing? Why am I not surprised?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... l#comments

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:37 pm

I'm willing to give him a shot. We've had 16 years of miserable leadership from the oval, I think an outsider was needed.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:12 am

ktabz16 wrote:But again, one party controls all three branches of government despite getting millions less votes nationwide. How is that ok at all?

Because he represents 50 states, not Just California, New York, and Massachusetts.............

Like I said, don't expect too much to really change once all is said and done. Trump will take on all of the affectations that come with a head coach, too much blame and too much credit.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:19 am

So you want the electoral college eliminated and our biggest population centers (big cities) having all the say in electing a president? LA, NYC and Chicago would be where 80 percent of campaigning is done if that's the case. Doesn't seem very democratic to me. The rules are the rules, the popular vote means zero, zilch, nada when electing a president.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:05 am

eldonabe wrote:Trump will take on all of the affectations that come with a head coach
In that case......FIRE TRUMP!!!

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:59 am

eldonabe wrote: No - it was an anti-Hilary vote. Stop blaming and excusing and whining.

Trump is an asshole, he is a morally reprehensible human who thinks and acts like a spoiled rich-boy brat. Call him anything and everything negative you can think of in the English language (and most foreign languages too).

Hillary could not beat THAT - just let THAT sink in for a minute. The representative chosen by Democratic Party (who's logo is an ASS) could not beat THAT. This should have been a George Wallace-like thumping - instead President Trump will take over on January 20th 2017.
I largely agree with this. Democrats, particularly the loyalists, need to stop blaming everybody but themselves and look inward if they want to fix what happened to their party. In particular, it is time to stop ridiculing and insulting the voters if they want to win over the votes of those outside their circle. Establishment Dems did this throughout the primary, they did this in the general election, and they're doing it now. Almost a third of Hispanics went for Trump. That shouldn't have happened, and those voters aren't going to be insulted or mocked into voting the way we want them to. It's time to refocus if there's going to be any future success for the party. If the insiders want to look for blame, there's plenty to go around - starting with the person at the very top, President Obama aka Mr TPP, who couldn't get it that people weren't going to cast votes for legacies, and to this day opposes the DNC candidacy of one of the only forward thinkers in Keith Ellison (a man who had the foresight to back the best candidate in the primary and also predict the threat of Trump over a year in advance). The list goes on: Hillary Clinton, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Donna Brazile, and many, many more....if they want to play the blame game, have at it!

Anyway, here's a pertinent commentary by Jon Stewart from last week:

Blame for Trump's Win goes Beyond Party Lines

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:46 am

ktabz16 wrote:
Quann wrote:So you want the electoral college eliminated and our biggest population centers (big cities) having all the say in electing a president? LA, NYC and Chicago would be where 80 percent of campaigning is done if that's the case. Doesn't seem very democratic to me. The rules are the rules, the popular vote means zero, zilch, nada when electing a president.
I'm actually much, much more concerned about the policy of gerrymandering undertaken by Republicans for total control of the house and state houses than I am about the electoral college. By eliminating fair elections in those bodies, a Republican president no longer has a constitutional check on his power. The current situation is clearly undemocratic and unconstitutional.
"gerrymandering"...... :?: Love it - I read a lot of books of many kinds of genres and I have never heard this one. I did figure it was a political word and I was right - but I still never heard of it!

noun
1. U.S. Politics. the dividing of a state, county, etc., into election districts so as to give one political party a majority in many districts while concentrating the voting strength of the other party into as few districts as possible.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:32 am

Love it. When Republican's gerrymander, it's the worst thing in the world. When Democrats gerrymander (as they do here in MA), no one says a word.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:39 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:Love it. When Republican's gerrymander, it's the worst thing in the world. When Democrats gerrymander (as they do here in MA), no one says a word.
Every single county in MA voted for Clinton. To get a Republican seat in MA would require gerrymandering.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:50 pm

^

And? That doesn't change my point. Democrats have done it here for years.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:01 pm

^ I have a feeling that you don't understand what gerrymandering is. That said, I don't think district lines should be drawn by politicians of either party. Iowa and California probably do it best.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:03 pm

^

I'm well aware of what gerrymandering is, thank you.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:07 pm

Maybe you need to look at the MA districts versus the NC districts to understand the difference then because what you are saying is ludicrous.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/map

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:23 pm

I never commented on the different degrees parties go about their gerrymandering, I just stated that the Democrats do it too, and often times no one bats an eye when it occurs. There is nothing ridiculous about what I said.