Women's Hockey

Talk UMass Hockey. Home of the 2021 National Champions!
DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Re: Women's Hockey

Post by DoctorJ » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:24 pm

How many people fit in the practice rink?
Refuse To Lose!!!

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:33 am

69MG wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:16 pm Add this to the items on the "Ryan Bamford complaint list". I have a friend who is over the top about wanting women's hockey. He confronted RB about it and all I heard was "It costs too much".
I wonder what costs so much about it. They already have two rinks on campus. They already have a standing invite to a bus conference so it wouldn’t be travel. All the ECAC has women’s hockey too so there’s enough teams close to schedule for OOC. Is it the sticks?
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:57 am

jjmc85 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:33 am
I wonder what costs so much about it. They already have two rinks on campus. They already have a standing invite to a bus conference so it wouldn’t be travel. All the ECAC has women’s hockey too so there’s enough teams close to schedule for OOC. Is it the sticks?

Exactly my point... not only do they have a conference they can walk into (Football is very jealous of this...), they have a hockey arena, a practice rink, and for the last 7 years or so plenty of space in the Mullins for locker room facilities since both basketball programs moved into their own building.

And if it is true that we are significantly out of Title IX compliance, this only helps before someone sues the school and Commonwealth.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:55 am

69MG wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:16 pm Add this to the items on the "Ryan Bamford complaint list". I have a friend who is over the top about wanting women's hockey. He confronted RB about it and all I heard was "It costs too much".
My first thoughts would be coaches (3) salaries and benefits, which would be comparable to the mens…? between $500,000 - $750,000.Thank You Title IX.
While UM owns the rinks, they are managed by Spectacor and have a cost affiliated with them.
While the athletes travel by bus to contests, they don’t sleep and eat on the busses, so that is a cost. Unless they go Non-Scholarship, there is the full cost of what the NCAA dictates is the maximum.

Maybe Cale could donate the sticks through his endorsement deal and you save money there.

These thoughts are off the top of my head and are probably not complete. Feel free to share costs that I missed.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:06 am

Saw some public schools expenses for Womens Hockey on something callled “College Factual.
They listed expenses - they also listed revenues which were just about the same……no idea how.

UNH $1,851,067
Vermont $ 1,679,516
Maine $ 1,196,243

Didn’t look for UConn as we all know that what they feel is too much and what UM does are not comparable.

cox'n
Junior

Post by cox'n » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:58 am

TruBluMaroon wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:55 am
My first thoughts would be coaches (3) salaries and benefits, which would be comparable to the mens…? between $500,000 - $750,000.Thank You Title IX.
While UM owns the rinks, they are managed by Spectacor and have a cost affiliated with them.
While the athletes travel by bus to contests, they don’t sleep and eat on the busses, so that is a cost. Unless they go Non-Scholarship, there is the full cost of what the NCAA dictates is the maximum.

Maybe Cale could donate the sticks through his endorsement deal and you save money there.

These thoughts are off the top of my head and are probably not complete. Feel free to share costs that I missed.
At the D1 level most of a player's equipment is covered. Good stick is around $300.00 and high-end skates cost around $1,000.00. Skates will usually last a season, but most players will break several sticks during the year. So, there's another $50,0000 or so although they'ed probably get deals that might drop that cost significantly. Still, I'd love to see a women's hockey team. D1 women's hockey is fun to watch. There's no checking, but there is plenty is contact and physical play.