Women's Team

Talk UMass Hockey. Home of the 2021 National Champions!
stevemaz
Senior

Women's Team

Post by stevemaz » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:17 am

After watching the end of the women's championship and then the selection show I have to say that I am stunned that we have not started a Women's program. This should happen asap! Then we could add more scholarships to baseball and men's lacrosse, or bring back Water Polo (a sport we were dominant in).

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Re: Women's Team

Post by TruBluMaroon » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:53 am

^ Like UM was dominant in Softball? Who do you think will be paying for these scholarships? I thought UM didn’t have scholarships in those sports because they didn’t have the money….

cox'n
Junior

Post by cox'n » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:27 am

UMass added women's rowing when they added men's hockey. UMass does have a strong women's club hockey team.

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:45 am

I would rather the resources go into the existing women’s teams that we have. Don’t see much ROI here even winning a natty doesn’t attract much attention.
#maction 🚩#flagship

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:43 am

The lack of resources argument is akin to the salary cap in the NFL

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:49 am

Count me in on thinking we should have a D1 Women's program. We already have conference affiliation for it too. It certainly would require some investment, but it should be done.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:26 am

RB has been asked this numerous times. Only UMass and Lowell do not have women's teams in Hockey East. The answer has always been "scholarships".

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:29 pm

Last I checked-and I’m not a title IX expert so I could be wrong- I don’t think UMass would need to add scholarships to the men’s side to add women’s hockey. I think it would actually make us more compliant. Here’s a Twitter thread cause I’m too lazy to type this all: https://twitter.com/squirts14/status/14 ... 32514?s=21
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:17 pm

Perhaps the reason we don't is it would mean changing over the ice surface to hoop and back more times a year would be expensive and complicate scheduling for Men's and Women's basketball even more. Maybe it could be done, I don't know.
Refuse To Lose!!!

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:07 pm

If that’s the reason it’s incredibly dumb. Have the women’s team play in the practice rink. BU women’s team doesn’t play at Agganis and UConn women don’t play at whatever the Hartford rink is called so it’s not unprecedented in HEA to have separate home rinks

Leave the A-10!

baseline47
Senior

Post by baseline47 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:48 am

In a nut shell, Title IX requires that: whatever the men get, the women get two! If the men's hockey team plays in the Bill, a women's team would also have to play there too.
"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:51 am

You mean too, not TWO. They don't get 2 teams.
Refuse To Lose!!!

rsox1221
Senior

Post by rsox1221 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:56 pm

baseline47 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:48 am In a nut shell, Title IX requires that: whatever the men get, the women get two! If the men's hockey team plays in the Bill, a women's team would also have to play there too.
Title IX means that a WIH team would need to be provided an equal arena situation, not necessarily the same arena. As long as they had a dedicated arena to play in that would meet the criteria.

For example, BU's MIH team plays all their home game at Agganis Arena while BU's WIH team plays all their home games at Walter Brown Arena. Obviously those two programs are not required to play in the same place. As long as the women have a dedicated facility, i.e. they aren't forced to rent something off-campus to play in and such, they would be fine.

A UMass WIH team could use the Mullins practice rink for their games and use the Bill as well depending on the opponent and other scheduled events.

scorpio

Post by scorpio » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:58 pm

rsox1221 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:56 pm
baseline47 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:48 am In a nut shell, Title IX requires that: whatever the men get, the women get two! If the men's hockey team plays in the Bill, a women's team would also have to play there too.
Title IX means that a WIH team would need to be provided an equal arena situation, not necessarily the same arena. As long as they had a dedicated arena to play in that would meet the criteria.

For example, BU's MIH team plays all their home game at Agganis Arena while BU's WIH team plays all their home games at Walter Brown Arena. Obviously those two programs are not required to play in the same place. As long as the women have a dedicated facility, i.e. they aren't forced to rent something off-campus to play in and such, they would be fine.

A UMass WIH team could use the Mullins practice rink for their games and use the Bill as well depending on the opponent and other scheduled events.

There are plenty of examples of corresponding men's and women's teams playing at different home venues on the same campus. In basketball, it occurs with NC State, UNC, Northeastern, and others. It used to occur at UMass. The women's team mainly played at the Cage after Mullins opened.

A women's hockey team could in theory play at Mullins and the scheduling could be worked out. Conte Forum hosts both basketball and hockey for men and women, and BC does not have a practice hockey facility.

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:19 pm

Again, not a title IX expert, but if this is the case how does BU get around having the women play at Walter Brown while the men play at Agganis? How does UConn get away with the women playing on campus at Freitas while the men play at Hartford?

Leave the A-10!