new goal song

Talk UMass Hockey. Home of the 2021 National Champions!
PreecherJenkins
Senior

new goal song

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:45 am

Twitter is lit on the decision to move on from the HEY song.

thoughts from ppl who were there

thoughts from the rest of us

to me huge misstep by Bambi and friends.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Re: new goal song

Post by Old Cage » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:22 pm

I vote strongly for this side of the discussion. I've not understood why it wasn't removed long ago:

Amin Touri @Amin_Touri 9m
I love the goal song. It's one of my favorite things about UMass sports. I hope the students keep singing it. But it had to go.
The short version: Those that have dug into Gary Glitter's record know that it's extensive and upsetting.
The longer version: http://bit.ly/2VzaUze
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:52 pm

Old Cage wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:22 pm I vote strongly for this side of the discussion. I've not understood why it wasn't removed long ago:

Amin Touri @Amin_Touri 9m
I love the goal song. It's one of my favorite things about UMass sports. I hope the students keep singing it. But it had to go.
The short version: Those that have dug into Gary Glitter's record know that it's extensive and upsetting.
The longer version: http://bit.ly/2VzaUze
I do not condone what gg did but that is a 15 year old issue. little late for that to be the reason.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

mdogt12
Hall of Fame

Post by mdogt12 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:36 pm

They need to bring back the goal song ASAP

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:53 pm

Obviously I don't condone pedophiles, but the song itself is harmless. If this is about royalties then play a cover. Better yet have our great ice band play it as they did in Boston, Manchester, and Buffalo last year.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:58 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the band have to play royalties to use music?

I honestly don’t care. I sat through tons of games were UMass was blown out and they played that song. I’d rather go to games like last night instead TBH.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:04 pm

This isn’t 2002, it’s 2019, Gary Glitter has been a known pedo for almost 20 years. Strange time to do this.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:30 pm

to be clear, we believe the change occurred because of GG pedophilia and not because they want them to stop saying eff em up ?

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:45 pm

jjmc85 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:58 pm Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the band have to play royalties to use music?
I believe the band pays a publisher for the arrangement (one-time fee of maybe a few hundred dollars). However, they don't pay the record label to play it. If the band writes the sheet music themselves, I don't believe they pay anything.

But maybe royalties aren't the issue. I think we're talking less than $100 to Gary Glitter's record label (currently at 9.1 cents per play) if they started playing it at hockey games starting in '93.

This was just based on some quick googling. Definitely not my area.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:39 am

What a very good distraction from Football. Kudos to the department for that part.

Terrible decision. Our school struggles with anything fan tradition related... lets kick the one thing we do have to the curb. Real smart.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

meff
Sophomore

Post by meff » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:10 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:39 am Terrible decision. Our school struggles with anything fan tradition related... lets kick the one thing we do have to the curb. Real smart.
Yes because a song defines the hockey program. :roll:

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:21 pm

meff wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:10 pm Yes because a song defines the hockey program. :roll:

That's not at all what I said and you know it.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

meff
Sophomore

Post by meff » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:32 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:21 pm That's not at all what I said and you know it.
It's not like that chant has been the same from the 90's for hockey it was like other schools: sieve you suck and there was no f'em up. That change came along well after Toot was hired if not in the Mick error.

There are enough reasons for a new song/tradition, I'd like to think the students can be creative enough to come up with something uniquely UMass.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:38 pm

meff wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:32 pm
It's not like that chant has been the same from the 90's for hockey it was like other schools: sieve you suck and there was no f'em up. That change came along well after Toot was hired if not in the Mick error.

There are enough reasons for a new song/tradition, I'd like to think the students can be creative enough to come up with something uniquely UMass.

Ummm, it was certainly chanted in it's current fashion back in 2000 at hockey.

You enjoy thinking that way... history and reality suggest otherwise. We had something unique. Hopefully the students still chant it every game... loudly and proudly.

meff
Sophomore

Post by meff » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:50 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:38 pm
meff wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:32 pm

Ummm, it was certainly chanted in it's current fashion back in 2000 at hockey.

You enjoy thinking that way... history and reality suggest otherwise. We had something unique. Hopefully the students still chant it every game... loudly and proudly.
Yes, my silly reality at actually being at almost every home hockey game since before you were a student..must be my memory going in my old age. :roll:

As someone who was part of the small group of students who started using the chant (borrowed from multiple other schools and I want to say from Northeastern and Lowell) it was not the same as it is today.