Alaska college hockey funding

Talk UMass Hockey. Home of the 2021 National Champions!
Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Alaska college hockey funding

Post by Old Cage » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:33 pm

I suspect that the hockey travel budgets for UAA and UAF could be on the block no matter what the final funding level is:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/educati ... president/
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

mdogt12
Hall of Fame

Re: Alaska college hockey funding

Post by mdogt12 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:43 pm

Plus they could already be in trouble if the WCHA splits happens
http://m.startribune.com/7-schools-incl ... 511976862/

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:01 pm

What an attack on public higher education! Let's hope this doesn't spread countrywide. Why is this happening? It seems unimaginable that any state would want to suddenly cut the budget in such a way as a to destroy a public higher ed system. Alaska will probably not recover from this for a very long time. My guess is all the sports programs get eliminated immediately and probably permanently. This governor has lost his mind. I hope the people of Alaska seek a recall.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:33 am

mdogt12 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:43 pm Plus they could already be in trouble if the WCHA splits happens
http://m.startribune.com/7-schools-incl ... 511976862/
Essentially this is a roundabout way to kick Alabama-Huntsville and the two Alaska schools out of the conference. IIRC the Alaska exemption allows one extra (home?) game for schools that travel to Alaska to play up there. In theory, this helps offset costs of travel, though in practice it probably doesn’t. All three schools had to fight to stave off elimination within the past decade. If they are kicked out of the WCHA, elimination would be likely.

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:42 pm

I’ve never seen any of the three live. I’m gonna go see UAH at Lowell in October. UMass is off. If anyone else wants to see all 60 programs and hasn’t seen the Chargers, I’d advise doing the same. They probably aren’t going to last as an Indy.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:25 pm

We are in Alaska. A guty that I talked with here says that the only UA-A team that would bother folks if it disappeared is the rifle team, which has been many times the NCAA champs. I didn't even know that rifle was an NCAA sport.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:58 pm

OC, go up and visit some of The Last Alaskans up there. Give them some UMass gear
Time to Win

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:25 am

Rumors of dissolving the teams is enough of an issue that the league thought that they needed to issue a press release. There is no immediate effect for us, but re-alignment is an issue for hockey just like the other sports discussed here:

BLOOMINGTON, Minn. – August 3, 2019 – WCHA President and Men's League Commissioner Bill Robertson released the following statement today regarding the status of the hockey programs at Alaska Anchorage and Alaska Fairbanks for the 2019-20 academic year.

"We have received confirmation from the University of Alaska Fairbanks and the University of Alaska Anchorage that there will be no change in the status of their hockey programs for the 2019-20 season. Both teams will compete in the WCHA this season.

"We are pleased with this decision and look forward to another exciting season from our 10 member institutions in the Men's League of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association."