@BC game ?

Talk UMass Hockey. Home of the 2019 Hockey East Regular Season Champs, Hobey Baker Winner, NCAA National Finalist.
DrG
Senior

Re: @BC game ?

Post by DrG » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:49 pm

While I was stuck in traffic trying to get out of the garage after the game, the BC radio announcers conceded UMass is the best in Hockey East but has little chance of winning the national championship because the goaltender has "holes" and they don't play sound enough defense. Okay. :roll: It was great to complete the sweep on their ice, but good God, I hate that place.

classof60
Junior

Post by classof60 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:36 am

When I graduated I worked at a firm that was fifty % BC alum....we non Eagles would go to the Beanpot just to root against BC

Stnwaller
Sophomore

Post by Stnwaller » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:12 pm

Game was an absolute blast !!!! Can’t believe with all of BC’s $$ they still have bleacher style seats in the upper seating sections. Sat in the middle of a young hockey team from Nova Scotia and there parents were a lot of fun . They came in cheering for BC cause they got to tour there locker room but they were very impressed with UMASS. One kid even asked me if I knew how he could buy a Cale Makar game Jersey !!!!!! We had a great Umass fan presance there and got some loud chants going 👍This is a FUN team to watch !!!!!!! Go Umass

Sheck
Senior

Post by Sheck » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:32 pm

Saw this on the USCHO forum - first time UMass has swept both BC and BU in the same season as a Hockey East member (or possibly ever; not sure if there are reliable records of the pond era clubs).
One if by land, two if by slam!

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:47 pm

^ We do know that in 1920 we went on a road trip to a distant land - Boston - and beat BU and BC on consecutive nights. Those were the first games played against current Hockey East members.

And, before my friend Floyd asks, I was not in attendance.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:22 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: OC, you kill me. I read that first line and my first thought was, "Did you go with DrG and Swampy?" Then I continue on and see your comment. You're ALWAYS one step ahead OC, always :wink:

Love watching this team, and they're so damn young. Missed the friday nite game, but caught most of last night. Damn would it be nice to have another year of Cale Makar and Mario Ferraro
The E sho, best show in town

baseline47
Senior

Post by baseline47 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:25 pm

Seems like lately we're giving up early goals. Wondering if the team's taking opponents too lightly? Or, if opponents are coming out flying against us as they want to beat a top ranked team?
"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:15 pm

^ I'm thinking it's more than latter than the former.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:28 am

Stnwaller wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:12 pm
One kid even asked me if I knew how he could buy a Cale Makar game Jersey !!!!!!
LOL, good one. You can buy a trash "replica" jersey with (I believe) the number 93 on it.

baseline47
Senior

Post by baseline47 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:04 pm

Huh, this is why we're good! It's not the coaching, etc. According to a BC fan, "Umass players are very old." He explains:

"Frustrated loss…If BC is going to compete moving forward they are going to have to change their recruiting style. For instance, Umass has ten foreign players and they are a very old team with 21-22 year old Freshmen. The announcers made note that BC players are just too young and not physical enough. I wish the NCAA would do something about this and make it an even playing field. On the bright side, they did hang with these older players. This is why all these teams like Ohio St, Arizona St, Penn St are all of a sudden good. I believe they have nice facilities but not sure how the coaches are. Let’s hope BC can adapt moving forward."
"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.

BullmooseGEO
Sophomore

Post by BullmooseGEO » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:24 pm

baseline47 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:04 pm
Huh, this is why we're good! It's not the coaching, etc. According to a BC fan, "Umass players are very old." He explains:

"Frustrated loss…If BC is going to compete moving forward they are going to have to change their recruiting style. For instance, Umass has ten foreign players and they are a very old team with 21-22 year old Freshmen. The announcers made note that BC players are just too young and not physical enough. I wish the NCAA would do something about this and make it an even playing field. On the bright side, they did hang with these older players. This is why all these teams like Ohio St, Arizona St, Penn St are all of a sudden good. I believe they have nice facilities but not sure how the coaches are. Let’s hope BC can adapt moving forward."
If this guy thinks that Arizona State has nice hockey facilities, he is an idiot (of course he did shell out ~$60 grand/year to go to arguably a mediocre school, so that probably goes without saying). Oceanside Ice Arena's capacity is whopping 747. Yes, they will build a new multi-sport complex with a rink, but the current rink is terrible. Of course, Arizona State is in sunny Arizona, but still...

That's the limit of saying nice things about Arizona State for this month. Hopefully some day my employer, the University of Arizona, will upgrade its hockey program to D-I (there is already a beautiful 8000-seat AHL rink on downtown Tucson where the club team plays), and then UMass visits and beats them!

On the subject of the thread, I admit that I was skeptical that they would sweep both BU and BC, but this is fantastic!
"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

vanmeter
Senior

Post by vanmeter » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:34 pm

When a BC guy is complaining about UMass, you know we must be doing something right.

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:49 pm

I’m sure if Coach York called up a couple of 20 year olds who haven’t committed and offrered a scholarship, they might be interested in playing for BC. Why that’s a problem is beyond me. They’re probably gonna stick around four years and get a degree. I’d say that’s more in the spirit of college athletics than a one and done.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:13 pm

I was a freshman in '06 and took classes with some of these 21/22 year old freshman hockey players. This is not something new. Teams go through down spells, happens all the time. BC has a few terrific players, but on the whole UMass is a significantly better team this season.

to the above point, BC is not at any certain disadvantage with regards to recruiting these types of players. They just do not have the same advantage they've had from say 2000-2013 (ish). The talent throughout the country is better on the whole and BC and BU are not always going to be able to have a significant talent advantage over every other team.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:52 pm

MJatUM wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:13 pm
to the above point, BC is not at any certain disadvantage with regards to recruiting these types of players. They just do not have the same advantage they've had from say 2000-2013 (ish). The talent throughout the country is better on the whole and BC and BU are not always going to be able to have a significant talent advantage over every other team.
For a long time, as MJ alluded to, BC was the prominent Catholic hockey program in the country. They got almost every good high Catholic high school hockey player. Now they are competing with Notre Dame as well as Providence for talent.

I looked at the UMass, BC and BU rosters for age. We are older, but not significantly. From ages 22-24, we have 13 players. BC has 12 and BU has 8.
At age 21 we have 8, BC has 8 and BU has 9. BU by far has the most 19 and 20 year olds (9) while we have 4 and BC has 5. So yes we're older but BC isn't that far behind us.