AD Ryan Bamford

Any other UMass sports talk? From Softball to Crew, find it in here.
Hall of Fame

AD Ryan Bamford

Post by 78 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:15 pm

Thought it made sense to start a new thread for this.

http://ht.ly/KEZKP
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Marshmont_63
Senior

Re: We have a winner -- It's Bamford

Post by Marshmont_63 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:32 pm

Oh boy, I can't wait for the hockey program to improve! :roll:
“When people come to our building we want them to feel the house of P.A.I.N.” -- Chaz Williams

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:07 am

Edit- delete.
Last edited by njumass08 on Fri May 29, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

rsox1221
Senior

Post by rsox1221 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:10 am

This seems like a good hire for the program, and is what a lot of people wanted. I liked Greene myself, but Bamford is young, coming from a big-time school, has local ties, and has experience with the revenue sports.

There were some potential issues with him and his time at GT, which is not great, but it's also hearsay and there are no accusations or articles floating around like there are with Fiore. That part I don't like but there isn't much to be done about it right now.

At the beginning of this process a lot of people, myself included, were looking for an assistant from a P5 school to come in and get the job, and that's exactly what we have now. Let's see what he can do with the programs, specifically football, in the coming months, as there are challenges everywhere right now.

rsox1221
Senior

Post by rsox1221 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:14 am

Marshmont_63 wrote:Oh boy, I can't wait for the hockey program to improve! :roll:
Not quite sure why people take this attitude with certain sports as it relates to certain candidates...

Obviously GT doesn't have hockey, but Yale does, which is where he worked before. And he from freaking New Hampshire, I think he knows that hockey is a big deal up here. Give the guy a chance before we just assume he's not going to even bother with an entire program, especially one that's high-profile for UMass. In fact, I'd say it's probably the #3 program at the school after football and men's basketball, so we're just going to assume the new guy is going to treat that program like it doesn't exist?

sbloombe
Junior

Post by sbloombe » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:53 am

He was my top choice based on resumes alone. He spent his whole life in / near New England and he was a top assistant at a P5 school. I'm not sure what else we can ask for from a resume perspective. Sure, some experience as AD would be nice, but anyone interested in the UMass job will only have AD experience at a lesser school.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:34 am

The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:45 am

Two yellow flags for me. One, he worked at GT, which I think is a very middling P5 program and has made two terrible basketball hires in a row. The other is the personal stuff that NJU keeps referring to. That's it, otherwise he's a great candidate on paper. And those two yellow flags are really not that big of a deal and could quite conceivable be non-issues. I personally like the VCU AD candidate the best, then Greene, but this guy could be really good. In all honesty we know very little about these guys, that's why they interview them and do (presumably) extensive background checks. The people doing the hiring know a ton more than us about them (again, presumably).

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:25 am

It's time to stop the chirping and be positive. We have a lot of work to do.

Niles - I don't think that we had a chance to offer the VCU guy. One story suggested that he dropped out.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

ElGuapo Hoy
Junior

Post by ElGuapo Hoy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:34 am

If you are happy with three years at a P5 schools as the experience we were looking for, boy that's sad.
Please think before you type.

gosox22
Junior

Post by gosox22 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:38 am

^ Agree with OldCage.

Local guy from NH, rose up through the ranks at various schools, and is coming from an ACC school where he oversaw football and basketball. What am I missing? Is the exchange with the ESPN PR person why people didn't like this guy? It wasn't a good look for Bamford, for sure, but I'm not sure its grounds for this being a bad hire. Unless I'm missing something else. Let's give this guy some support and hope he finds football a home and gives the hockey program some much needed love (among other programs on campus). I'm trusting that the search committee did their job.

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:42 am

GTech fans seem sorry to see him go.

https://gtswarm.com/threads/gtaa-loses- ... witterfeed

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:45 am

He's our guy now.
Last edited by njumass08 on Fri May 29, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:51 am

Great quote about us from the GT board that Rocks linked above:

"There are some deep philosophical and historical differences between those who want to keep athletics within an educational context and those who naively lust after the culture of the football factories."
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

MajBugman
Senior

Post by MajBugman » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:01 am

Called it.

Wait, he can't come to UMass!
Ryan Bamford was a standout 3-pointer shooter
Raise the bar, do the minimum.