IA Football

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.

Why do you oppose IA football

Afraid we would lose more than 2.5M/year (AA football)
61%
Like AA football (Don't mind losing more than 2.5M/year)
28%
I don't like football. We should cancel the football program
11%

Total votes: 18

lane one
Junior

Post by lane one » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:18 pm

Belonging to the alumni association is not necessarily the same thing as donating to the University. Only very recently have I felt the alumni association was an organization worth being a member of. I am happy to say that my local association has been making nice strides recently, but the alumni association was very close to completely loosing my interest several times over the past 10 years. (I make reasonably significant contributions to the school every year, and these were never in jeopardy.)

The last time I checked (and it was a few years ago, in the US News and World report ranking, so my data are old) UMass had a higher percentage of alumni donating to the school than Michigan did. The percentage certainly wasn't attrocious compared to other public universities.

The model for donations should be to have a large percentage of the young alumni to stay involved through small contributions. For recent graduates, all that should matter is maintaining the connection to the school. As the young alumni grow older, they will eventually get to a point in their life when the can contribute more. Ultimately, when their kids are out of college, some might be ready for some serious donations. But, you can't force the pipeline - I know several alumni who will probably never give again because they felt like they were being squeezed. I am confident that the alumni who are now in their 30's and younger 40's are, in general, on the right path. Our alumni in their 60's are not there in the numbers we need them to be, but there isn't much we can do about that now.

Hats off to the folk organizing UMassFootball.org. They might be raising money slowly compared to what some people think needs to be done, but at least they are doing what they can to raise money. Its better than waiting for a hypothetical donor to step up and write a huge check. In fact, their efforts just might inspire a real donor to step up and write a huge check after he/she sees people really care. All of their fundraising efforts will help the football team, regardless of division. If they are really successful, I-A might be feasible. If they are meet only a fraction of their goals, the football team and the athletic program will still be better off.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:28 am

ktabz16 wrote:young grads won't pay anything... i wish someone who would just let me do the cool stuff without dropping $50... btw... i bounced my first ever check... and it was my $40 to the alumni association

based on our convo yesterday, your wife obviously isn't doing a good job at balancing that checkbook! hahahah

meff
Sophomore

Post by meff » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:28 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:based on our convo yesterday, your wife obviously isn't doing a good job at balancing that checkbook! hahahah
Time to get a new wife! :shock:

meff
Sophomore

Post by meff » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:52 pm

ktabz16 wrote:she is a new wife!
Time to repalce her obviously! :)