Money talks

Get ready for some MACtion
Umass

Money talks

Post by Umass » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:25 am

I am new so please be kind and patient. UMass had a nice home in the Atlantic 10. So why leave, Well of course money and i dont have a problem with that. It's foolish to lose money than to make money. So let get to it. UMass is leaving to play football and increase revenue. There millions of dollars out there for college football. Bamford stated expenses will increase under 10% "But it's a 5 to 8% increase," Bamford said, and being in the MAC "will allow us to grow our revenues to the department by anywhere from eight to 10 times what we're currently seeing from a conference standpoint, right as we enter the league."
My first question was what is the Departments Revenue and what are the expenses. This link indicates $43,882,480 total revenue and about the same in expenses. It does state year but we just want a ball park.
https://www.collegefacTtual.com/college ... fe/sports/

My question is, how is Bamford going to grow revenue 8 to 10 times right as UMass enters the league?

McKinney
Senior

Re: Money talks

Post by McKinney » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:54 am

IIRC he said 8-10x "conference revenues". I'd take that to mean revenue UMass gets from the MAC vs from the A10.

I assume that includes things like TV, NCAA credits, etc. But does not include ticket sales, merchandise, or institutional subsidy.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:42 pm

It wasn’t just money it was survival and hopefully thriving for the football program. Independence was never the long term goal and the MAC had no interest in us being a football only member for a second time. If we didn’t take this offer, FBS football at umass was probably going to be on the road to oblivion. I’m excited for the new chapter of umass sports.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:55 pm

Wasn't football only in the MAC before? Why did we leave when hoop was still in the A10?
Time to Win

Tman1319
Junior

Post by Tman1319 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:21 pm

Floyd wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:55 pm Wasn't football only in the MAC before? Why did we leave when hoop was still in the A10?
The MAC triggered a clause that required UMass to bring all sports over or football had to leave.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:41 pm

Oh, didn't know that. Thanks
Thought we left to go Independent
Time to Win

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:53 pm

Being an independent was a short term thing. No CFP $$$ no conference rev sharing no conf championship to play for. Move had to made and the A10 got 2 into March Madness vs. 1 for the MAC. Big deal.

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:08 am

Floyd wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:41 pm Oh, didn't know that. Thanks
Thought we left to go Independent
And that clause was only triggered because Temple left to go to the AAC (well, it was still technically the Big East at the time, I believe). They would have been happy with the status quo had the realignment bug not caused all that action in front of us.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:11 pm

The money is much greater in the MAC than being an indy and A-10. Everyone is forgetting that we wouldn't even have FBS football if we didn't jump to all sports MAC. As of now, the only indys as of July 1, 2025 are Notre Dame and UConn. Actually only UConn. ND is in the ACC and CHOOSES to play the indy sched while being all sports ACC full member. So in reality UConn is the only indy. I think they may be able to pull it off for a long time is that they have revenues of 100M and almost a lock for another Final Four. If they are the only indy I think they will have no problem scheduling 12 games.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:33 pm

Shoulda dropped football and invested in hockey and hoops...men's and women's in both sports.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:48 pm

Shoulda invested in football properly many moons ago. Men's and Women's sports here at UMass would all be in a much better spot had that happened.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:03 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:48 pm Shoulda invested in football properly many moons ago. Men's and Women's sports here at UMass would all be in a much better spot had that happened.
I agree 100% But sadly, that ship has sailed. It's hard to play 'catch-up'.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:07 pm

Of course, but dropping football wasn't the answer either. And knowing how MA works, no way the football budget would remain available to be used towards other thing athletic, or even academic, related things. The Commonwealth would just take that money away completely.... foolish to think otherwise.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:56 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:07 pm Of course, but dropping football wasn't the answer either. And knowing how MA works, no way the football budget would remain available to be used towards other thing athletic, or even academic, related things. The Commonwealth would just take that money away completely.... foolish to think otherwise.
At this point we're throwing good money after bad...IMO.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:01 pm

LS71 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:56 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:07 pm Of course, but dropping football wasn't the answer either. And knowing how MA works, no way the football budget would remain available to be used towards other thing athletic, or even academic, related things. The Commonwealth would just take that money away completely.... foolish to think otherwise.
At this point we're throwing good money after bad...IMO.
First off: it's not our money. That's like the cops' "overtime pay". It's phony $$$$ but who cares? Second off: The Commonwealth would just take that money away completely. absolutely hit the nail on the head!!!! You don't reduce the budget, then you lose the budgeted $$$.
I have to ask LS: why do you want football dropped? The only flagship State Univ that dropped football is Vermont (all 600,000 residents who could care less).