NCAA Revenues and Expenses

Get ready for some MACtion
harbo
Hall of Fame

NCAA Revenues and Expenses

Post by harbo » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:05 pm

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

I'll leave the commentaries to the financial gurus amongst us (myself certainly excluded from that category), but I did find this sortable revenues and expenses information compiled in June 2023. The big boys are listed in the top tiers. The A10 has four teams listed in the 66-108 range with us being the number 66 team. Buffalo leads the MAC pack at 81 with eleven others ranging down to 143.
What direction do we expect to see UMass take with our latest moves? To quote many of my excellent professors, show your work. Hopefully we can find an updated version in the early summer.

stevemaz
Senior

Re: NCAA Revenues and Expenses

Post by stevemaz » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:34 pm

I too am curious about this. From what i thought i heard or read, the tv deals were dramactically higher starting in 2024 or 2025.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:44 pm

harbo wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:05 pm https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances
The A10 has four teams listed in the 66-108 range with us being the number 66 team.
If I'm seeing correctly, those few programs are the only ones from the entire A10 conference on that list (in contrast to the MAC). In other words, just public schools, which are a dying breed in the A-10. Just an observation.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:06 pm

You can access the methodology tab at the bottom where we read that public schools are the only schools that are obligated to provide their information. Private schools or public schools that are covered under a state exemption can be exempt.
Last edited by harbo on Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:57 pm

Makes sense. Either way, it's a feature of that list worth noting.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:26 pm

Agree that it would be nice to see the complete picture.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:40 am

"Equity in Athletics" from the US Department of Education has financial data available including for private schools. Although it is more outdated than USA Today's. I'm also not sure if it's as comprehensive compared with USA Today's methodology / what they're able to find with FOIA requests.

https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:00 pm

The percentage listed for the subsidy from the university is an interesting statistic. It seems that that number is shrinking and Bamford has been telling the truth about it.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:41 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:00 pm The percentage listed for the subsidy from the university is an interesting statistic. It seems that that number is shrinking and Bamford has been telling the truth about it.
basically the subsidy from student fees, waivers and university aid is keeping it so the athletic department does not lose 40million a year. the issue here is they have a LONG way to go as a profitbale business. Yes, there is going to be a bump in external revenue (not 8-10x like was discussed) but costs will continue to rise as well.

The good news is Reyes seems cool with it and it ain't our money. Just do not say they are running a good business.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:20 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:41 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:00 pm The percentage listed for the subsidy from the university is an interesting statistic. It seems that that number is shrinking and Bamford has been telling the truth about it.
basically the subsidy from student fees, waivers and university aid is keeping it so the athletic department does not lose 40million a year. the issue here is they have a LONG way to go as a profitbale business. Yes, there is going to be a bump in external revenue (not 8-10x like was discussed) but costs will continue to rise as well.

The good news is Reyes seems cool with it and it ain't our money. Just do not say they are running a good business.
Only about 15-20 athletic departments make actual profits. Athletics is a cost for universities. The only things that lower the subsidy are tv/league money and ticket sales. Many schools don’t give students free tickets, etc. and still charge student fees. As long as revenues keep going up faster than costs, that’s great.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:51 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:41 pm

"Just say no to the MAC"??? huh..........let me guess: UMass should have stayed 1AA also... :roll: :roll: :roll: