Casula to Michigan

Get ready for some MACtion
wmmmfan
Senior

Re: Casula to Michigan

Post by wmmmfan » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:36 pm

As long as it isn’t Kevin Morris I’ll be happy.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:56 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:51 pm
dennisdent wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:43 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:36 pm
Stop stalking me?! Lol.
Couldn't help myself, but didn't want to pass this one up. :D
….UMass needs a seasoned OC who won’t change the dna of the offense too much.
I guess time heals all wounds as I don’t recall sitting there watching a finely tuned machine last season on offense featuring TEs, multiple RBs and a well oiled machine of a line😁.
I just recall an offense that was in the bottom third of the country in yards gained and touchdowns

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:08 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:36 pm
Stop stalking me?! Lol.
I wasn’t actually comparing their work. Waldron went from the Pats all the way “down” to HS coach and back up through UMass. Casula has been a mid level offensive guy his whole life. I was being a bit facetious with the idea that Casula would parlay anything. The money however is spot on. Casula was a two year OC. UMass needs a seasoned OC who won’t change the dna of the offense too much. Based on the personnel, they need to stick with an option plan at this point. Can’t recruit or replace an entire offense in this time period, IMO. I agree coaching TE is the entry level offensive position on most staffs.
Now you're back to stalking me again! :wink: Actually Waldron went to a professional team after the Patriots in the UFL. He went prep school, not HS, which is a big difference if you know anything about football and recruiting/coaching.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:11 am

TruBluMaroon wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:56 am
I guess time heals all wounds as I don’t recall sitting there watching a finely tuned machine last season on offense featuring TEs, multiple RBs and a well oiled machine of a line😁.
I just recall an offense that was in the bottom third of the country in yards gained and touchdowns
Spot on comment! In UMass's three wins, Puma ran and the D scored against NMSU/Army couldn't stop KLA/Merrimack shut down UMass's offense for much of the game. They scored the most points in the 4th (109) when the games were out reach. He will not be missed.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:33 am

I agree. Casula was not a whirlwind OC by any stretch of the imagination. My point about the dna is not switching the scheme to the point this upcoming year would have players not suited for the new scheme. For example, all the QBs that have been recruited are dual threat runners before passers it seems.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:02 am

Im glad he is gone, but I will say UMass OL really improved last year. I think just 15 sacks taking out Auburn and Penn st games and we had a 1k rusher. I expect a better offense this year.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:12 am

stevemaz wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:02 am Im glad he is gone, but I will say UMass OL really improved last year. I think just 15 sacks taking out Auburn and Penn st games and we had a 1k rusher. I expect a better offense this year.
I’m glad he’s gone too. His play calling and game management were less than desirable. I think the OL a play had more to do with the OL coaches and not the schemes or play designs.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:21 am

dennisdent wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:08 am
I wasn’t actually comparing their work. Waldron went from the Pats all the way “down” to HS coach and back up through UMass. Casula has been a mid level offensive guy his whole life. I was being a bit facetious with the idea that Casula would parlay anything. The money however is spot on. Casula was a two year OC. UMass needs a seasoned OC who won’t change the dna of the offense too much. Based on the personnel, they need to stick with an option plan at this point. Can’t recruit or replace an entire offense in this time period, IMO. I agree coaching TE is the entry level offensive position on most staffs.
Now you're back to stalking me again! :wink: Actually Waldron went to a professional team after the Patriots in the UFL. He went prep school, not HS, which is a big difference if you know anything about football and recruiting/coaching.
I forgot he went to the UFL. I also know about ISL/Nepsac vs HS vs prep programs with post grad athletes. I don’t think the two coaches are alike in any way. That was my intent with the original post. It was tongue in cheek.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:17 am

The transfer portal saved him from being another Walt Bell. Year one he failed spectacularly with his QB recruit of Gino and the offense was horrible as we all know. Year two he brings in two promising transfers QBs, who both get injured because of his QB running offense. His play design and play calling were just poor and relied too much on the QB making the decision to run. He didn't recruit KLA to UMass (win for Bell) and relied on him without using other rbs to keep defenses from keying on KLA.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:59 pm

dennisdent wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:17 am The transfer portal saved him from being another Walt Bell. Year one he failed spectacularly with his QB recruit of Gino and the offense was horrible as we all know. Year two he brings in two promising transfers QBs, who both get injured because of his QB running offense. His play design and play calling were just poor and relied too much on the QB making the decision to run. He didn't recruit KLA to UMass (win for Bell) and relied on him without using other rbs to keep defenses from keying on KLA.
Agree. His lack of protection schemes when the play was a pass and no relief valves on most pass plays also forced the QB to run.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:21 pm

^ That was always so frustrating to watch! QB roll out, if the ONE receiver was covered, the QB would run and get hit. He was the QB coach at UMass and how bad can he be to become the TE coach at his next job! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:30 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:46 pm
Quann wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:39 pm Yesssssss!!! I get it’s Michigan but tight ends coach makes more than OC here?
Well, Shane Waldron parlayed being a UMass TE coach into an NFL job, and he hasn’t really looked back since. Casula made 255,000 at UMass. The TE coach at Michigan made 275,000 last year.
Michigan is mega big time. They pay more than NFL amounts. My kid is thinking about applying there. All I can say is "Good riddance". Never got the play calling like vs Army at home a couple years ago and he couldn't score 1st and goal from the 1 yd line.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:33 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:51 pm UMass needs a seasoned OC who won’t change the dna of the offense too much. Based on the personnel, they need to stick with an option plan at this point. Can’t recruit or replace an entire offense in this time period, IMO.
I wonder if Davidson's HC Scott Abell would be out of reach for an OC position at UMass. One of the most successful in the spread-option business, and connections to Virginia and North Carolina recruiting certainly couldn't hurt.
Last edited by McKinney on Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:38 pm

dennisdent wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:11 am

Spot on comment! In UMass's three wins, Puma ran and the D scored against NMSU/Army couldn't stop KLA/Merrimack shut down UMass's offense for much of the game. They scored the most points in the 4th (109) when the games were out reach. He will not be missed.
Army couldn't stop KLA Thank God KLA is coming back!!!! by the way, I think if we get an actual OC, we could beat E. Michigan to start the season and maybe get one of Toledo/Buffalo and we should blast CCSU. How does 3-1 sound? (Not being SteveMaz here).

DeeDeeBee
Sophomore

Post by DeeDeeBee » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:43 pm

Not gonna miss him at all!