2023 Game 8: @ Penn State

Get ready for some MACtion
DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Re: 2023 Game 8: @ Penn State

Post by DoctorJ » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:11 am

I'd hate to see us drop football but the national embarrassment thing is wearing on me.

The money we spend on football over the past decade probably would have been better spent on hoop and hockey programs. I just don't think UMass would cut football without it really upsetting a lot of people and they don't want to do that.

I am not an expert on football. I don't know what we should do or will do but it is painful being a laughing stock program in the sport. We do seem to have improved but just not enough to win games.
Refuse To Lose!!!

kd68
Junior

Post by kd68 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:43 am

I would hate to see us drop football also. I thought there would be a little improvement this year, but have seen none, maybe it is time to call it quits.

Merlin Samuels
Junior

Post by Merlin Samuels » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:40 pm

kd68 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:43 am I would hate to see us drop football also. I thought there would be a little improvement this year, but have seen none, maybe it is time to call it quits.
Unfortunately, UMass is not a top-10 football program. Yesterday was a paycheck.

We have four games left, and I think all of them are winnable. I have seen improvement, but I guess if we lose all of them then we haven't improved.

kd68
Junior

Post by kd68 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:46 pm

Your right. All games are winnable.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:56 pm

Liberty is "winnable," are fucking kidding me! They are 6 - 0 and the game is at Liberty. If you UMass keeps it under 60, okay 65, that will be a win, if that's what you mean. :lol: :lol: :lol: Army is going run up and down the field on UMass, and that game is at Army. The only winnable game may be Merrimack. UConn is a much better team than UMass, even though their record doesn't show it.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:22 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:11 am I'd hate to see us drop football but the national embarrassment thing is wearing on me.

The money we spend on football over the past decade probably would have been better spent on hoop and hockey programs. I just don't think UMass would cut football without it really upsetting a lot of people and they don't want to do that.

I am not an expert on football. I don't know what we should do or will do but it is painful being a laughing stock program in the sport. We do seem to have improved but just not enough to win games.
From Don Brown, (don't make the schedule*), play the schedule. Ryan Bamford makes the schedule and next year 3 power conference games, while in basketball playing Div III as an exhibitor game. Perhaps he does not have the best scheduling skills.

That said DoctorJ, sorry your so embarrassed. Penn State has destroyed everyone this season and just came off a bye week. This was our 7th game, including 2 power conference teams and will finally get our first bye week to heal up.

Now Doctor J, how do you feel about the money the basketball team is losing, $297,469 per scholarship player?

Revenue from the A10 was $587,017, expenses $4,454,120.
A loss of $3,867,103 and that is the money sport for the A10.
The financials from the A10 is disappointing and time we left.
Go UMass!!

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:37 pm

Last night I watched some of the Idaho (former FBS team) play Montana game in a full home stadium on ESPN2. Idaho was in the same place UMass was as an FBS program, losing constantly and fans unhappy at the direction of the program. Now, they still play two FBS money games, won one, lost the other in a close game this season but beat top 25 FCS teams and are 5 - 2. Would it really be that bad for UMass to go back to the CAA and play UNH, Maine, URI and others again? The program would save a lot of money on the reduced scholarships and coaches salaries. I would rather UMass be 5 - 2 as an FCS team than 1 - 6 as an FBS team. I just don't see UMass having success as an FBS program, I don't sadly.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:47 pm

dennisdent wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:37 pm Last night I watched some of the Idaho (former FBS team) play Montana game in a full home stadium on ESPN2. Idaho was in the same place UMass was as an FBS program, losing constantly and fans unhappy at the direction of the program. Now, they still play two FBS money games, won one, lost the other in a close game this season but beat top 25 FCS teams and are 5 - 2. Would it really be that bad for UMass to go back to the CAA and play UNH, Maine, URI and others again? The program would save a lot of money on the reduced scholarships and coaches salaries. I would rather UMass be 5 - 2 as an FCS team than 1 - 6 as an FBS team. I just don't see UMass having success as an FBS program, I don't sadly.
They are in a conference and scheduling at their level. Our AD has unsuccessfully tried to get us into the AAC or an affiliation for 8 years! Drop the affiliation line and join the MAC and stop scheduling multiple body bag games.
Go UMass!!

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:54 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:11 am I'd hate to see us drop football but the national embarrassment thing is wearing on me.

They should have tripled what they spent on football at the outset!!

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:56 pm

^ They are in a FCS conference same as the CAA, if UMass drops down. UMass just doesn't fit playing weak academic, regional schools of the MAC. UMass doesn't recruit the same type of player academically as Toledo, EMU and others in the MAC. UMass fits playing the other Flagships in New England and Villanova, W&M, Richmond's.

Merlin Samuels
Junior

Post by Merlin Samuels » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:42 pm

dennisdent wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:56 pm Liberty is "winnable," are fucking kidding me! They are 6 - 0 and the game is at Liberty. If you UMass keeps it under 60, okay 65, that will be a win, if that's what you mean. :lol: :lol: :lol: Army is going run up and down the field on UMass, and that game is at Army. The only winnable game may be Merrimack. UConn is a much better team than UMass, even though their record doesn't show it.
Liberty? Liberty beat NMSU about the same we did, but we weren’t at home.

I happen to think UMass is better than our record.

Merlin Samuels
Junior

Post by Merlin Samuels » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:45 pm

dennisdent wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:56 pm ^ They are in a FCS conference same as the CAA, if UMass drops down. UMass just doesn't fit playing weak academic, regional schools of the MAC. UMass doesn't recruit the same type of player academically as Toledo, EMU and others in the MAC. UMass fits playing the other Flagships in New England and Villanova, W&M, Richmond's.
Stanford just joined a conference with Louisville, I think “fit” is out the window at this point.

UB, Ohio, and Miami are excellent institutions.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:54 pm

Merlin Samuels wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:45 pm
dennisdent wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:56 pm ^ They are in a FCS conference same as the CAA, if UMass drops down. UMass just doesn't fit playing weak academic, regional schools of the MAC. UMass doesn't recruit the same type of player academically as Toledo, EMU and others in the MAC. UMass fits playing the other Flagships in New England and Villanova, W&M, Richmond's.
Stanford just joined a conference with Louisville, I think “fit” is out the window at this point.

UB, Ohio, and Miami are excellent institutions.
Who gives a shit about Stanford or Louisville--UMass had nothing in common with either school athletically or academically.

"UB, Ohio, and Miami are excellent institutions." They are good schools, far from excellent.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:23 pm

I was there for the whole game. Context here is that this Penn State team has a fantastic defense. They beat Iowa 31-0 and held them to four first downs. We could not stop their running game and our special teams were horrific. During the first half, when we actually forced a punt, moved the ball a little, and kept them from scoring at will, first quarter, 7-0, etc. a Penn State fan remarked to me that we (UMass) were playing well, and he was impressed because he thought we were not going to be able to do what we did at the start. Granted games are more than a quarter, and it unraveled with the punt returns and sacks. So, yes 63-0 is one of most lopsided scores you will see. At the same time, people without maroon glasses saw something redeemable with this team.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:31 pm

Looking forward to Penn State going into Columbus next weekend. Gonna be a great matchup. At least we have some time to rest up our laundry list of injured players. Let's at least play tough at West Point.