2023 Game 6: Arkansas State

Get ready for some MACtion
TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Re: 2023 Game 6: Arkansas State

Post by TheInsider » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:03 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:47 pm
palm14 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:30 pm I don't blame anyone for being angry at Brown and questioning his job status. But this feels no different from seasons under other coaches.

The guy who needs to be fired is Ryan Bamford. He may not be solely responsible for UMass Athletics' problems but he hasn't helped and he's the guy who can be axed. He's been terrible at hiring (and firings). Others in the athletic department pulled the strings to get Carvel and Verdi. Brown and Frank all but fell in his lap. They both have struggled but Ryan could have, and would have, hired worse.

He's had plenty of time. He's had time to increase the funding everyone talks about. Fundraising is up (allegedly), but attendance and interest is down. He's pushed away alumni. He's not good to work for. While I like Frank and Carvel will always be a legend in Amherst, I fear very much the winter sports season will not be great either.

It's time for Ryan to go. We have a new Chancellor who seems to care about athletics. It's a good time to do it.
Amen brother

Fire bamford
100%... what other AD in the country would have fired 2 basketball and football coaches for the programs being bad and have kept his job?? And just stop "what about hockey???" Palm is right.. others should get credit for that hire. Many don't know this but he has fired many in the dept who were good at their jobs for no fault.. so much no fault the university had to pay the remainder of their contracts for years for them not to show up.

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:11 pm

palm14 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:30 pm Others in the athletic department pulled the strings to get Carvel and Verdi.
TheInsider wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:03 pm And just stop "what about hockey???" Palm is right.. others should get credit for that hire.

Citation requested
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

kd68
Junior

Post by kd68 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:23 pm

There are a lot of negative comments on this blog. I believe most of the posters are avid Umass fans or they wouldn’t waste their time on this forum. I for one have been very disappointed in this team for years. I have no solutions for the mess we are in without some radical house cleaning. I see no future for this team unless they do something like Colorado has done.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:55 pm

It was a disappointing game all around. For being out played, defended, our offense, penalties and some the officiating. Those AAC refs, idk.

The only thing that makes sense is that they are banged up, but still need to play some very good teams with Toledo and Penn State before their bye. Hope their pride, grit, and determination show up.
Go UMass!!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:58 pm

jjmc85 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:11 pm
palm14 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:30 pm Others in the athletic department pulled the strings to get Carvel and Verdi.
TheInsider wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:03 pm And just stop "what about hockey???" Palm is right.. others should get credit for that hire.

Citation requested
I know for me it's people that have worked at UMass for a long time that would be in position to know

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:11 pm

The problems with UMass football run deeper than DB and RB.

RB needs to go period, he’s in way over his head.

I think DB could still do a good job but I think he needs more money to attract a full staff of qualified coaches and analysts. A head coach has many obligations and needs qualified professionals and analysts on staff to run the day to day.

UMass leadership needs to commit to FBS football, no conference will admit a program that is not committed to being bowl eligible and conference championship capable. Either commit to FBS or commit to being a basketball school and fund to the Big East level. UMass football and basketball have achieved irrelevant status and that is not acceptable for a university like Massachusetts.

Leadership needs to get off the fence and run athletics like the business it is.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:15 pm

wmmmfan wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:11 pm The problems with UMass football run deeper than DB and RB.

I think DB could still do a good job but I think he needs more money to attract a full staff of qualified coaches and analysts. A head coach has many obligations and needs qualified professionals and analysts on staff to run the day to day.

UMass leadership needs to commit to FBS football, no conference will admit a program that is not committed to being bowl eligible and conference championship capable. Either commit to FBS or commit to being a basketball school and fund to the Big East level. UMass football and basketball have achieved irrelevant status and that is not acceptable for a university like Massachusetts.

Leadership needs to get off the fence and run athletics like the business it is.
Can’t become Rutgers though.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:51 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:15 pm
wmmmfan wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:11 pm The problems with UMass football run deeper than DB and RB.

Can’t become Rutgers though.
Completely agree. Join the right conference to which we can fund appropriately with the top programs and we can be competitive.

I don’t believe any of the former Big East schools have had sustained success since they left for ACC, B1G or Big 12. Learn from their mistakes.

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:56 pm

TheInsider wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:58 pm
jjmc85 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:11 pm

Citation requested
I know for me it's people that have worked at UMass for a long time that would be in position to know
Both Bamford and Carvel have told the story of the hire multiple times. Both seem to contradict this. Maybe Verdi I have no clue on that one, but not giving Bamford credit for Carvel does not seem to be supported by the facts.

Leave the A-10!

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:58 pm

Carvel's a UMass grad, with his wife from Amherst, who was offered a job in Hockey East. Even Bamford couldn't screw that one up.

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:07 pm

^That I believe. Carvel has said if his team hadn’t lost in the ECACs he wouldn’t have been in town visiting his in laws. And if he wasn’t visiting his in-laws he wouldn’t have taken the interview. He had no interest in leaving St Lawrence (his undergrad alma mater and where he played) but Bamford talked him into coming here.

I have never seen evidence it was anyone else in the department who convinced Carvel to come but have heard straight from Carvel this story in interviews and I believe perhaps in a pond club zoom during Covid?

Be upset at Bamford all you want for football/basketball/ but he gets credit for Carvel.

Leave the A-10!

LouMass
Junior

Post by LouMass » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:31 pm

Floyd wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:43 pm I've had enough. Maybe next year
I’ll get the door for you Floyd.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:36 pm

jjmc85 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:07 pm ^That I believe. Carvel has said if his team hadn’t lost in the ECACs he wouldn’t have been in town visiting his in laws. And if he wasn’t visiting his in-laws he wouldn’t have taken the interview. He had no interest in leaving St Lawrence (his undergrad alma mater and where he played) but Bamford talked him into coming here.

I have never seen evidence it was anyone else in the department who convinced Carvel to come but have heard straight from Carvel this story in interviews and I believe perhaps in a pond club zoom during Covid?

Be upset at Bamford all you want for football/basketball/ but he gets credit for Carvel.
That's fine.. give him credit for a niche sport (D1 college) hire.. he has failed everywhere else

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:56 pm

dennisdent wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:58 pm Carvel's a UMass grad, with his wife from Amherst, who was offered a job in Hockey East. Even Bamford couldn't screw that one up.
Ding ding ding

Fire bamford
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:48 am

Can the PA crap stop! Mainly....

1. 3333333333333333RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DOWN!

2.YEAH BUDDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! after a first down?

3. I think a panhandler off the streets could do a better job running the athletic dept. over Bamford!!!!

Man, Butch Jones is a big believer in skinny jeans on the sidelines.......
Alex Guerrero, my HERO!!!!