Get ready for some MACtion
Camby4Life
Senior

Re: 2023 Season

Post by Camby4Life » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:13 am

Steve81 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:38 am
Camby4Life wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:00 am
UMass'96 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:53 am

This is an an incredibly facile view of both examples. This view focuses on the symptoms and not the root cause.
You are on the wrong site if you are looking for deep thoughts on the symptoms of our football teams sucking.
We are not looking for sympathy, we want full membership in the MAC.
Beyond frustrated and pissed off that we watch the decline in the A10 and UMass and the numbers look like nearly 3.9 Million loss with basketball. Why are we screwing over the football team so the basketball team can stay in the A10. Look at the numbers!.
MattBrownEP wrote: Per their NCAA-mandated FRS report which I have obtained via open records, here's what UMass declared re; M basketball budget:

FY22 Men's Basketball Revenues: $587,017
FY22 Men's Basketball Operating Expenses: $4,454,120
How does it always end up in Maction talk with you? You could have solved real life problems with the amount of time you put forth on this subject. I respect the passion but it’s nauseating.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:19 am

Camby4Life wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:13 am

You are on the wrong site if you are looking for deep thoughts on the symptoms of our football teams sucking.
Beyond frustrated and pissed off that we watch the decline in the A10 and UMass and the numbers look like nearly 3.9 Million loss with basketball. Why are we screwing over the football team so the basketball team can stay in the A10. Look at the numbers!.
MattBrownEP wrote: Per their NCAA-mandated FRS report which I have obtained via open records, here's what UMass declared re; M basketball budget:

How does it always end up in Maction talk with you? You could have solved real life problems with the amount of time you put forth on this subject. I respect the passion but it’s nauseating.
I'd like to know 2 things:

- how he got "sympathy" from "symptoms"
- who the "we" are that he's referring to
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:23 am

As it turns out it was a huge mistake not taking full membership into MAC. The plan should have been all along to pump resources into the Athletic program and dominate the MAC in football by say 2016.. we would be in the AAC today if we had..

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:39 am

Camby4Life wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:13 am

Don't like the A10 and like the MAC.
Every university with FBS dreams has left the A10, except UMass: Penn State, Pittsburg, Rutgers, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Temple and Charlotte.
Not only are they all better off today, ever other team that has left the A10 is better off today: Villanova, Xavier, and Butler.
Go UMass!!

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:05 pm

Does is really matter? We haven’t won more than 1 game since 2018, it’s a pathetic situation that isn’t getting any better anytime soon.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:13 pm

Camby4Life wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:05 pm Does is really matter? We haven’t won more than 1 game since 2018, it’s a pathetic situation that isn’t getting any better anytime soon.
So you are saying independence is not working.

Almost everyone agrees as there are few independents. Notre Dame is with the ACC olympic and plays 5 football games there. Army is in discussion to join the American. UConn is in the power of conference of non football and are fine waiting for a P5 opportunity. Every other independent FBS team has jumped this last go around to joining a conference as independence is purgatory land with poor revenue streams.

It's time to change priorities as 1.7 million into a BB HC salary says volumes on this AD's priorities. This is more than the football head football and offensive coordinator salaries combine. It's time to change priorities as the A10 conference revenue stream is poor with a 3.9M men's bb loss. Go all sports MAC with better revenue from media and full share of College Football Playoffs!

Give football a home a conference home with added exposure, revenue, and a ooc and conference seasons!

--------- added details to be worked out ----------------------------

A Big East affiliation would be upgrades to both men's lacrosse and soccer.

There is only 1 sport that the top of the MAC is not comparable to the A10 and that is women's lacrosse. Our men's' lacrosse would need to go to the Big East, which has 6 members. The soccer is a bit more complicated as they dropped soccer and Akron was a prior National Champs and ranked #23 in the Big East.

Men's soccer Akron #23, UMass #95 and Delaware #99

Men's lacrosse and included Delaware as they probably need a pairing.

Go UMass!!

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:26 pm

Steve is there ANY talk between Umass and MAC - anything at all? Or any conference really?

This season has quickly become a giant turd with the only possible salvage being a win versus the Fighting Insurance Salesmen from Storrs. Given how this season has unfolded however, Umass should lose that and close out as the 2 time defending Bottom 10 champion for 2023. 3 years in a row (arguably 5) is a pretty hard feat to accomplish.............

............... AND ALSO THE REASON WE CAN'T GET INTO A FUCKING CONFERENCE!

Uminuteman
Senior

Post by Uminuteman » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:31 pm

I love, again and again, how this discussion keeps circling back. Everyone listen...NOBODY WANTS US!! The MAC isn't an option. We don't have an invite and there isn't one on the horizon. We SHOULD join ANY conference that will have us...but currently none want us. But please continue what conference would be best for us and why we shouldn't join.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:35 pm

Uminuteman wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:31 pm I love, again and again, how this discussion keeps circling back. Everyone listen...NOBODY WANTS US!! The MAC isn't an option. We don't have an invite and there isn't one on the horizon. We SHOULD join ANY conference that will have us...but currently none want us. But please continue what conference would be best for us and why we shouldn't join.
The yelling won’t stop the same few from repeating themselves. The rest of us realize this team blows and it’s sad that we peaked in FBS at 4-8. Tough to get alumni support to grow for an annual Bottom 10 team.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:54 pm

After all these years, I'm about tapped out on UMass football. Bamford no longer reaches out to the fan base updating us on the athletic department or getting into/or not getting into a conference.

Brown means well and has upped the recruiting, but he's on his last legs as a head coach and it shows. When the head coach's speciality is the worst part of the program (Walt Bell says hi), its madding!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:55 pm

I'm hanging in until next season. Giving Coach Brown another off-season of talent upgrades and see how it goes. I can see a definite improvement in the talent this season over last, but still need some more, and more depth, and hopefully it translates to some w's.

But the losses definitely are a buzzkill
Time to Win

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:52 am

Floyd wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:55 pm I'm hanging in until next season. Giving Coach Brown another off-season of talent upgrades and see how it goes. I can see a definite improvement in the talent this season over last, but still need some more, and more depth, and hopefully it translates to some w's.

But the losses definitely are a buzzkill
Floyd you are on a shrinking island for sure. We were told that significant talent upgrades were made to the roster this past year as well.

Was Umass THAT bad that the significant talent upgrades merely closed the gap between being the worst by a lot to only worst by just a little now?

Depth is a bit of a misnomer as well. If your starters can't win a game, depth is only going to mean you have more players who aren't as good as the ones who already cannot put up any wins.

UMass is not serious about FBS.... they just are not. Nobody is taking Bamford's calls and they compound their problems with one bad decision after another starting on day 1.

Eulogy is in the works....

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:22 am

eldonabe wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:26 pm Steve is there ANY talk between Umass and MAC - anything at all? Or any conference really?

This season has quickly become a giant turd with the only possible salvage being a win versus the Fighting Insurance Salesmen from Storrs. Given how this season has unfolded however, Umass should lose that and close out as the 2 time defending Bottom 10 champion for 2023. 3 years in a row (arguably 5) is a pretty hard feat to accomplish.............

............... AND ALSO THE REASON WE CAN'T GET INTO A FUCKING CONFERENCE!
I've heard from the athletic department that they have an open dialog with many commissioners and ADs, BUT they used that non starter word "Affiliation". Have a MAC poster's PM that there is some discussion. There is some discussions with Delaware big hitters and the administration but they put the time line to 18 months. Did find Martty's office email and have responded to Javier Reyes email on academic news. Seen too many decisions by AD's that have not benefited UMass Athletics in the long run. A lot with Nascar Bob, the last guy that was pushed out etc. It's time to email the AD and other decision makers. [email protected] [email protected]

The time is right to email the AD, Chancellor, and UMass President.,Gloria Nevarez, MWC commissioner and NCAA president, Charlie Baker have recently visited UMass and the team and wigs are heading to former A10 member Penn State.

The A10 is not what it was when founding, no longer brings in big bucks, been raided and will be raided again. All universities with FBS football have left, except UMass. To listen to the AD give that speech, we are looking for a football affiliation and committed to the A10 was disappointing. Within days the MAC communicated that they were no long looking to expand with WKU as MTSU had backed out and UMass would not put full membership on the table. Have to admit in retrospect, like having a possibility to pair with Delaware, an east coast presence is important and can pair a few sports with the Big East. Soccer looks very good and would not want to leave it in the A10. Think we all would like an association with the Big East in lacrosse and hopefully soccer.

The A10 TEN that did what was best for their athletic departments and everyone of them are better off.

Penn State, Pittsburg, Rutgers, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Temple and Charlotte.
Villanova, Xavier, and Butler.

Others will join the list in the future, the A10 will have most of the creme picked off as prior to the new Big East, we picked off others, mostly the CAA.
Go UMass!!

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:05 am

I will never leave this ship even if I am the last man standing.. We did close the talent gap a great deal with the past two years of recruiting and should be 3-4 right now so it sucks that they blew the EMICH and New Mex games (shoulda won both easily). shitty officiating hurt in the MIami game (HL blew the non TD call so that game should have come down to the last few minutes and gone either way). 2021 we were utterly pitiful and in 2022 we upgraded to just plain pitiful. 2023 we have upgraded to kind of sort of mildly decent. 2024 we will be decent.

Hang in there. I would go full membership in CUSA if MAC doesnt want us. CUSA is still looking for two more schools.

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:22 pm

stevemaz wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:05 am I will never leave this ship even if I am the last man standing.. We did close the talent gap a great deal with the past two years of recruiting and should be 3-4 right now so it sucks that they blew the EMICH and New Mex games (shoulda won both easily). shitty officiating hurt in the MIami game (HL blew the non TD call so that game should have come down to the last few minutes and gone either way). 2021 we were utterly pitiful and in 2022 we upgraded to just plain pitiful. 2023 we have upgraded to kind of sort of mildly decent. 2024 we will be decent. Hang in there.
FWIW, this is exactly how I feel. Sadly, I couldn't go to the Toledo game because I had to be out of town, but I followed it as I could online, and I was pleasantly surprised that we didn't get totally blown out. Yeah, third quarter sucked, but if you look at the box score, we stacked up pretty well against Toledo who are a pretty good team, and even got fewer penalties and penalized yards, which pleased me. It breaks my heart about Eastern Michigan and New Mexico, because if we were 3-4 right now, I think the conversation would be very different around here.
stevemaz wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:05 am I would go full membership in CUSA if MAC doesnt want us. CUSA is still looking for two more schools.
I'd basically go with whoever wanted us at this point, beggars can't really be choosers. From a football perspective, I actually thought the MAC was the perfect spot for us when we moved up, and I agree that the goal should have been to cut our teeth there and get good, then look at upgrading. That almost seems like a joke at this point, but I think that should have been the strategy. There's no question in my mind that we didn't make the move to all-MAC because of basketball and the A-10 revenue, whether we made the tournament or not, and while I didn't like that decision, I could at least understand it. In hindsight, it doesn't look like such a good call anymore. We really have no choice but to continue to try and improve and hope some conference sees enough of a spark to take a chance, and this time we may need to bit the bullet and go all-sports. Wherever we go, I think it will be better than independent, at least for football, and if we aspire to more, prove it on the field and earn it, don't expect it to be dropped in our laps.