Get ready for some MACtion
Quann
Hall of Fame

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by Quann » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:19 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:47 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:07 pm
ZooMass84 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:10 pm

no one cares about hockey. the only 2 sports anyone cares about nationally are football and mens basketball. you might as well bring up wrestling or water polo or crew.

I care about hockey. I know many others that do as well. And I guarantee you that if BC had the opportunity to flex its muscle against UConn related to the Hockey East Conference, it would have taken that opportunity to do so.
Yeah. I don’t think BC has a care about competition in hockey east. They believe they are the cream of the crop. The football situation is more about recruiting competition and BC does not want UMass or UConn in its league because that would mean more revenue and increased recruiting competition. They want to be the one P5 in New England.
Agreed but that is too bad. A league with BC, UConn and UMass playing hoops and football together would be so much fun. I know New England will never be much of a college sports territory but that probably would at least drive up interest in Mass and Connecticut. Get PC and URI in the mix as well for basketball and you'd probably get a lot of Southern New England fans traveling to games between these fan bases.

Big Guy
Freshman

: Conference Realignment

Post by Big Guy » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:14 pm

I actually think that if Florida State is able to get out from under the ACC Grant of Rights and they are able to join the SEC, (I don't see FSU as a Big Ten school) I see several other schools leaving the ACC as well. In that scenario, I see UCONN as the # 1 target and candidate to join a revamped ACC.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:12 pm

Quann wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:19 am Get PC and URI in the mix as well for basketball and you'd probably get a lot of Southern New England fans traveling to games between these fan bases.
It's been proven in hockey that fans will travel for games between the Boston Schools, UConn, UMass and Prov. I think it would hold true in BB. Football is not as much of a sure thing. The 3 FBS schools would have to be fairly close in watchability for fans to travel.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:26 pm

^

The football aspect is still a bit unproven (vs proven to not work)... we're only starting to re-build a rivalry with UConn, and games with BC are still too few and far between. We've also sucked so much that our fans often don't show... not to mention this year's UConn game was held when students were not on campus.

It could get there, and I suspect it would. And considering the current greater landscape, it really should happen... These regional schools playing each other other in all these sports will get things going fandom-wise.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:15 pm

What SHOULD ABSOLUTLEY HAPPEN IS THIS..

Big East adds: BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Va Tech, UMass, Georgia Tech, Duke, Wake Forest, Dayton, Gonzaga, and St Marys. 22 Strong!

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:29 am

stevemaz wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:15 pm What SHOULD ABSOLUTLEY HAPPEN IS THIS..

Big East adds: BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Va Tech, UMass, Georgia Tech, Duke, Wake Forest, Dayton, Gonzaga, and St Marys. 22 Strong!

You must have played Dungeons and Dragons a lot as a kid?

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:12 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:07 pm
ZooMass84 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:10 pm
jjmc85 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:12 am
BC didn’t block UConn from Hockey East and they’ve been playing each other in football-with a little help from Bamford IIRC. Anyone who cares about what happened back then is either long gone or else doesn’t have decision making power.
no one cares about hockey. the only 2 sports anyone cares about nationally are football and mens basketball. you might as well bring up wrestling or water polo or crew.

I care about hockey. I know many others that do as well. And I guarantee you that if BC had the opportunity to flex its muscle against UConn related to the Hockey East Conference, it would have taken that opportunity to do so.
I meant nationally. I like hockey too and watched every second of us winning the national championship. In the United States, hockey is more or less a northern or mid west thing. i know the NHL has teams all over the US, but you know what I mean. But my point still stands re: UConn being blackballed by BC and other teams that were sued by that moron AG of Connecticut.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:02 am

ZooMass84 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:12 pm
I meant nationally. I like hockey too and watched every second of us winning the national championship. In the United States, hockey is more or less a northern or mid west thing. i know the NHL has teams all over the US, but you know what I mean. But my point still stands re: UConn being blackballed by BC and other teams that were sued by that moron AG of Connecticut.

I know what you meant, and you're still wrong in the context of what you were trying to state. If BC had that big of a grudge, they are a school that is petty enough to flex their muscle in the HE.

Your point doesn't stand and you have no proof of it. Thanks, though.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:45 pm

I don't know if we have a chance for the American. My old view was that we were passed over for Tulsa, way back and again more recently with Charlotte. But I'm not the AD, who has been working this for a long time. Opportunities have presented themselves and time will tell. Whatever happens will support football without wavering and cheer the successes of our other sports.

Why did I post this, well if fit is the most important thing, it's the American. Plus with SMU leaving, there would be 1 less no vote. Assuming the 2 Texas teams and Tulsa vote no. Seems a 10 to 13 vote would pass. There are others that could vote no and not sure about the Tulane and Rice. Listening to the Hockey, High Character podcast with our Chancellor Javier Reyes and mentioning fit was most important.
Go UMass!!

DeeDeeBee
Sophomore

Post by DeeDeeBee » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:18 pm

Excellent! IMO.....American WAY over CUSA!!
Much better fit!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:28 pm

DeeDeeBee wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:18 pm Excellent! IMO.....American WAY over CUSA!!
Much better fit!

I think we all agree with that... but there really hasn't been anything of substance tying us to the AAC.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:14 am

Looks to me like this summer we will see the final wave of realignment kick off. Is it possible that we see 4 conferences of 20 schools?

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:26 pm

With new details being posted by twitter.
Heather Dinich
@CFBHeather
According to sources, Washington State and Oregon State are expecting to receive $360,000 each per year in the new contract - 1/5 of the $1.8 million Group of 5 schools would each make. Historically, they received between $6-7 million per school as members of the Pac-12.
Would 1.4M in CFP difference be enough for UConn to consider being the MAC 14th as a football only?
Go UMass!!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:13 pm

Steve81 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:26 pm With new details being posted by twitter.
Heather Dinich
@CFBHeather
According to sources, Washington State and Oregon State are expecting to receive $360,000 each per year in the new contract - 1/5 of the $1.8 million Group of 5 schools would each make. Historically, they received between $6-7 million per school as members of the Pac-12.
Would 1.4M in CFP difference be enough for UConn to consider being the MAC 14th as a football only?
They wouldn’t get that full amount as an affiliate member.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:32 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:13 pm
Steve81 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:26 pm With new details being posted by twitter.
Heather Dinich
@CFBHeather
They wouldn’t get that full amount as an affiliate member.
Depends how they slice it. Meaning there is the MAC media deal and CFP. Not both, maybe a percentage of both, or just the CFP and no media money.
Like to dream, but perhaps not enough when considering believe they make 100k for non FCS games in their FB media deal.
Go UMass!!