Game 2D: @ Marshall - 11/7 @2:30pm

Get ready for some MACtion
Jack
Senior

Re: Game 2D: @ Marshall - 11/7 @2:30pm

Post by Jack » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:40 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:00 am Jack its simple.

why was it okay for you to call him nascar bob but to lecture me?

Preech its very simple. I never stated it was okay for me. I never lectured you. I suggested that perhaps its time to take it easy on Marcum. If that is some huge problem for you to consider - then just ignore the suggestion and continue to think Bru is great... LOL :roll: :roll: :roll:

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:55 pm

Jack I’m done w the mud flinging. Why do you hate bru? What coaching decision did he make that you believe caused the program to go downhill? Who killed umass hoops? We’re you happy how the 2001 coaching search went. If you’d like the full story I’ll be glad to provide it.

Since this is the football forum who killed umass football
1. Running charley
2. Kevin Morris
3. Bamford
4. Jmc
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:29 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:55 pm Jack I’m done w the mud flinging. Why do you hate bru? What coaching decision did he make that you believe caused the program to go downhill? Who killed umass hoops? We’re you happy how the 2001 coaching search went. If you’d like the full story I’ll be glad to provide it.

1. Running charley
2. Kevin Morris
3. Bamford
4. Jmc
All the above!

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:47 am

dennisdent wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:29 pm
PreecherJenkins wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:55 pm Jack I’m done w the mud flinging. Why do you hate bru? What coaching decision did he make that you believe caused the program to go downhill? Who killed umass hoops? We’re you happy how the 2001 coaching search went. If you’d like the full story I’ll be glad to provide it.

1. Running charley
2. Kevin Morris
3. Bamford
4. Jmc
All the above!
Sorry Dennis the real answer is bru!!! Bru killed umass football because he didn’t win enough basketball games!!!
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:16 am

PreecherJenkins wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:47 am
dennisdent wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:29 pm

1. Running charley
2. Kevin Morris
3. Bamford
4. Jmc
All the above!
Sorry Dennis the real answer is bru!!! Bru killed umass football because he didn’t win enough basketball games!!!
Not fair! That was a trick question, you didn't have Bru on there. :lol:

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:46 pm

The fact the program can get a good schedule as an independent and has made serious upgrades to facilities means Bamford hasn’t killed the program. This is the toughest place in all of FBS to be successful. No conference. No fan support. Old stadium. No bowl tie ins. Not in a recruiting fertile place.

Morris was mediocre. A couple of mediocre seasons don’t kill a program.

McCutcheon did made what at the time was the right move based on what was known to move to the MAC. Sucks Temple left for what turned out to be not a BCS conference. If they had stayed things probably would have worked out better. Guess we can blame him for not joining the MAC all sports but that ship has sales.

Person who IMO killed UMass football was Molnar. He alienated the alumni. He insulted everyone who every played at UMass before he got there by implying they played “little boy football” while simultaneously getting beat by Maine (and everyone else too). He had the team basically kill themselves in practice and pregame warmups. The AJ Doyle interview Curry Hicks Sage did was very eye opening in these respects. He didn’t adjust his offense to the players he had. I don’t know if it was his decision or not but the team also abandoned maroon uniforms during his time which was dumb as well. Turned his back in many ways on the once proud tradition of the program. I think in retrospect it would have been better to keep Morris for the transition instead of hiring Molnar.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:37 pm

jjmc85 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:46 pm The fact the program can get a good schedule as an independent and has made serious upgrades to facilities means Bamford hasn’t killed the program. This is the toughest place in all of FBS to be successful. No conference. No fan support. Old stadium. No bowl tie ins. Not in a recruiting fertile place.

McCutcheon did made what at the time was the right move based on what was known to move to the MAC. Sucks Temple left for what turned out to be not a BCS conference. If they had stayed things probably would have worked out better. Guess we can blame him for not joining the MAC all sports but that ship has sales.

Person who IMO killed UMass football was Molnar. He alienated the alumni. He insulted everyone who every played at UMass before he got there by implying they played “little boy football” while simultaneously getting beat by Maine (and everyone else too). He had the team basically kill themselves in practice and pregame warmups. The AJ Doyle interview Curry Hicks Sage did was very eye opening in these respects. He didn’t adjust his offense to the players he had. I don’t know if it was his decision or not but the team also abandoned maroon uniforms during his time which was dumb as well. Turned his back in many ways on the once proud tradition of the program. I think in retrospect it would have been better to keep Morris for the transition instead of hiring Molnar.
Couldn't agree more except Whipple had us quasi-respectable at 4-8, 4-8. 2017 was our best year since the move-up. Bell is absolutely killing this program and, truthfully, I would be in shock if we are still playing FBS in 7 or 8 years.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:48 am

1. Running charley
2. Kevin Morris
3. Bamford
4. Jmc
Nobody killed UMass football. We're quite alive and the program is improving. Whipple did a good job of improving the program and there were more than a few of us who realized that and opposed letting him go. Bell will get things going positively. Thank goodness they are playing games - that is tremendously important. I'm glad you're done w/mud flinging mud ...whatever that means. I don't hate Bru. feel free to think he's great. LOL

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:00 pm

Jack wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:48 am

1. Running charley
2. Kevin Morris
3. Bamford
4. Jmc
Nobody killed UMass football. We're quite alive and the program is improving. Whipple did a good job of improving the program and there were more than a few of us who realized that and opposed letting him go. Bell will get things going positively. Thank goodness they are playing games - that is tremendously important. I'm glad you're done w/mud flinging mud ...whatever that means. I don't hate Bru. feel free to think he's great. LOL
"the program is improving"????? 1-11 last year and 0-3 (100% lock) this year. SRS -9.36 with Whipple to SRS -29 and SRS -28 under Bicep Boy/Gomer. Jack, when we go 0-12 next year, I think that's when Marty Meehan tells Chancellor Subbs to call it a day.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:14 pm

NEVER thought I would post this: UMass football is a blatant example of Academic/Athletic Welfare. A once proud program established in 1879 and playing FBS or the equivalent for 1882 -1906 then 2012 - present would be reduced to a permanent fixture in ESPN Bottom 10. Head coaches and assistant coaches and 30 other personnel who have no business in FBS. Marshall will stomp on us 63-0 and the Liberty game could be 77-0 with shortened quarters ala BC-Howard in 2015 76-0. Wish I'm wrong; crystal ball may be faulty, but I doubt it.

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:05 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:00 pm
Jack wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:48 am

1. Running charley
2. Kevin Morris
3. Bamford
4. Jmc
"the program is improving"????? 1-11 last year and 0-3 (100% lock) this year. SRS -9.36 with Whipple to SRS -29 and SRS -28 under Bicep Boy/Gomer. Jack, when we go 0-12 next year, I think that's when Marty Meehan tells Chancellor Subbs to call it a day.
I don’t think football is going to be gone anytime soon. Bamford and Bell on the other hand should and hopefully will be gone as soon as 2021

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:01 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:37 pm Couldn't agree more except Whipple had us quasi-respectable at 4-8, 4-8. 2017 was our best year since the move-up. Bell is absolutely killing this program and, truthfully, I would be in shock if we are still playing FBS in 7 or 8 years.
Whipple is a tremendous coach. Definitely the best UMass is had since I’ve been following the program. The fact the best he could do is win 4 tells you what a tough job this is. Gonna take an all time great to right the ship, and I question that an all time great would touch this program with a 10 foot cattle prong at this time. Bamford has to do what he did with the Bell hire and try someone new and unproven and hope to catch lightening in a bottle. And that’s hard to do.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:59 am

jjmc85 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:01 pm
ZooMass84 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:37 pm Couldn't agree more except Whipple had us quasi-respectable at 4-8, 4-8. 2017 was our best year since the move-up. Bell is absolutely killing this program and, truthfully, I would be in shock if we are still playing FBS in 7 or 8 years.
Whipple is a tremendous coach. Definitely the best UMass is had since I’ve been following the program. The fact the best he could do is win 4 tells you what a tough job this is. Gonna take an all time great to right the ship, and I question that an all time great would touch this program with a 10 foot cattle prong at this time. Bamford has to do what he did with the Bell hire and try someone new and unproven and hope to catch lightening in a bottle. And that’s hard to do.
Agreed. After Bell goes 0-12 next year, Bamford will have to fire him (I hope). ONLY factor saving us is that we are FBS (only 130 HC jobs). FBS is high profile and somebody will want the job, not to mention the $600k and hire his crony coach buddies too.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:33 pm

jjmc85 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:46 pm The fact the program can get a good schedule as an independent and has made serious upgrades to facilities means Bamford hasn’t killed the program. This is the toughest place in all of FBS to be successful. No conference. No fan support. Old stadium. No bowl tie ins. Not in a recruiting fertile place.

McCutcheon made more serious mistakes of scheduling almost all P5 teams, which hurt the program's reputation of getting clobbered and playing with many wounded players. Hence only winning a few games and living with that scheduling for years. Not knowing how strong Maine was and how poor we were with Charlie was his exit signature.
Go UMass!!

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:05 pm

Steve81 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:33 pm

McCutcheon made more serious mistakes of scheduling almost all P5 teams, which hurt the program's reputation of getting clobbered and playing with many wounded players. Hence only winning a few games and living with that scheduling for years. Not knowing how strong Maine was and how poor we were with Charlie was his exit signature.
The reason this happened was two fold: 1. Financial, to make money to fund the program and UMass has played 2-4 P5 games since going to FBS. 2. There was a lot less group of five or independents at that time. There was no Liberty, Coastal Carolina, App State or Georgia Southern type programs at the FBS level in 2012/2013. The program had to make some cash upfront to afford to start being able to pay other none P5 teams as home games.

The other start up FBS programs were much funded then UMass. App State and GSouthern have rabid fan bases who support the programs. Liberty has the Liberty cash and Coastal had the former TD Ameritrade CEO Joe Moglia using his own money. Blaming the first two years poor performance on scheduling P5 teams is both simplistic and out of context. The team was going to struggle no matter who they played at the FBS level and having CM as coach sure didn't help.