2020 Season

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
dennisdent
Junior
Posts: 736
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 7:18 pm
Location: Too close to the Beltway

Re: 2020 Season

Post by dennisdent » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:37 pm

The landscape has changed even more to transfers over the past two years-there are even more players out there! The transfers that Whip brought on some of the best players and students that UMass football has had in the FBS era (or ever). I could list them but I think we all know who they are.

Buffalo and UMass have nothing alike at all with the way the programs are being built or coached (hiring a top D3 coach vice an inexperienced unknown). Buffalo has 18 transfers and JUCOs (most JUCOs) on the 2019 roster. UMass had 11 on Whip's last team in 2018. Bamford is blowing more smoke up UMass fans you know what! Bamford is in CYA mode!

That 10 - 4 2018 UB team that Bamford talked about: 21 players were transfers (6 grads)/JUCOs on the roster. (most of the upper-class) How is that building like Bell is with freshman??? The UB coach is a winner--not sure what Bell is yet...

User avatar
rsox1221
Senior
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:37 am
Location: Shrewsbury via Southborough
Contact:

Re: 2020 Season

Post by rsox1221 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:45 pm

For clarification here, I believe what Bamford said was more to the effect that UMass in this recruiting cycle cannot take mostly or all transfers in the hopes of having some sort of immediate, band-aid-type success

He was talking about letting the current coaching staff have the time to build the program, and I believe he said that UMass can't build a program with all transfers. I don't recall him saying anything about not taking transfers at all

The point he was making was in regards to fan concerns about the competitiveness of the program right away. He was trying to explain further that the program is not going to make some sort of miracle turnaround next season and that he is committed to allowing the coaching staff to build with a lot of 4-year players that they are recruiting

Whether you like Bell & Co or not, whether you like Bamford or not, whether you like this strategy that they are employing or not, all he was trying to do was explain it more clearly for folks

I'm not taking a side but I will say this: He's not wrong about the fact that UMass can't build a program with all transfers, namely JUCOs. He cited that some programs can, but UMass is too good a school academically these days to allow for that

Right now UMass has a couple of JUCO players committed, they took some last cycle, they have other targets this cycle and are looking a players who have recently entered the portal. They took two GTs last year as well. They are taking transfers are won't stop, but they are doing it at the normal, sustainable pace that most programs prefer to

I know people don't like it, but this is what the current plan is for the football program. Build slowly and by 2021 you ideally see a big step forward, 2022 and beyond is when the bowl-eligibility is supposed to be there. I don't know if it will work, but that's where we're at

dennisdent
Junior
Posts: 736
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 7:18 pm
Location: Too close to the Beltway

Re: 2020 Season

Post by dennisdent » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:13 pm

I'm still calling BS to this by Bamford because he didn't say anything about taking 4 -5 years to build the program until the end of the season, when it became obvious that Bell was doing a terrible job. Bamford had no issues with the two grad transfers or all the JUCOs (who will be here 1 - 2 years) Bell brought in with his first class but now its "give him 4 -5 years building with the majority freshman" (because they and not Grads/JUCOs, will be here for 4 -5 years). Why can teams like Charlotte/Liberty/Kansas have new coaches and be competitive right away--coaching!

Bamford used UB as a "case study" on the 4 - 5 year type plan working but after a fact check it is BS! UB is building a lot of their program on JUCOs and transfers.

Personally, I like Bamford and feel that he's an outstanding fund raiser. I feel that he is being too hands on because he sees that Bell is not up to the task like he thought Bell would be when he hired him. I know what I saw on the field this past season and that was the worst football by a UMass team ever! As they say you can't fix stupid and you can't fix bad coaching in 4 - 5 years (but Bamford's going to try) :lol: .

Jack
Senior
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: 2020 Season

Post by Jack » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:15 pm

30 or so yrs of UMass Football and I agree that Coach Bell's team this season was the worst that I have ever seen - including Molnar's team. Bell simply refused to play complimentary football and Bell's failed HUNH concept led directly to huge blowout losses and totally unwatchable football.

I'm an optimist and I believe that Coach Bell might be capable of achieving dramatic improvement in year 2. Coach Bell's Christmas list: 1 real starting QB who can run the HUNH, A vastly improved offensive line, Something resembling a Defense....

User avatar
Quann
Senior
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:17 pm
Location: Start Line, MA

Re: 2020 Season

Post by Quann » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:22 pm

^^^^^^^

My Christmas wish:

Ditch the HUNH unless we’re in the 2:00 drill. Our defense is already weak as it is, no need to give double the scoring opportunities again next year.

User avatar
MJatUM
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4404
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:46 pm
Location: Attleboro

Re: 2020 Season

Post by MJatUM » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:13 pm

My Christmas wish-list: stop using the HUNH acronym. I read it as the "HUNNY" of Winnie The Pooh's honey pot.

User avatar
MajBugman
Senior
Posts: 1730
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:29 pm
Location: Aberdeen, MD

Re: 2020 Season

Post by MajBugman » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:37 pm

My Christmas wish is that people will give Coach Bell more than 12 months to fix the program. Building the roster with men that will be there for at least three years is the way to go. If you can find grad transfers or JUCO that can fill gaps after the roster is built, great, but that is not how you build the program.

Glad they didn't fire Carvel after his 5-29-2 campaign.
Raise the bar, do the minimum.

TruBluMaroon
Senior
Posts: 1889
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:25 am

Re: 2020 Season

Post by TruBluMaroon » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:39 pm

MJatUM wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:13 pm
My Christmas wish-list: stop using the HUNH acronym. I read it as the "HUNNY" of Winnie The Pooh's honey pot.
Maybe we can get WTP as a grad transfer!!

stevemaz
Junior
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:23 am

Re: 2020 Season

Post by stevemaz » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:09 am

Sports psychic predicts we will all feel optimistic about the future one year from now.

User avatar
jjmc85
Senior
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: 2020 Season

Post by jjmc85 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:37 am

It’s going to be another very long season. Listening to the Plant the Flag podcast about recruiting day and Bell is stressing he needs another class or two. Bamford has said similar things. So I’m going to believe them that this season isn’t going to be UMass’ year either. Maybe 2022? :?
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

dennisdent
Junior
Posts: 736
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 7:18 pm
Location: Too close to the Beltway

Re: 2020 Season

Post by dennisdent » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:41 am

jjmc85 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:37 am
It’s going to be another very long season. Listening to the Plant the Flag podcast about recruiting day and Bell is stressing he needs another class or two. Bamford has said similar things. So I’m going to believe them that this season isn’t going to be UMass’ year either. Maybe 2022? :?
To me this is more BS. Many schools with new coaches can improve faster then what Bell/Bamford are telling us. Just make the games at least competitive and watchable. Bad coaching is like bad wine, it doesn't get better with age!

User avatar
Quann
Senior
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:17 pm
Location: Start Line, MA

Re: 2020 Season

Post by Quann » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:25 pm

Don’t run a hurry up offense until you get the talent and personnel to do it. Coaching 101. Guy does not come off a sharp x and o football guy.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4400
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:34 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: 2020 Season

Post by eldonabe » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:32 pm

dennisdent wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:41 am
jjmc85 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:37 am
It’s going to be another very long season. Listening to the Plant the Flag podcast about recruiting day and Bell is stressing he needs another class or two. Bamford has said similar things. So I’m going to believe them that this season isn’t going to be UMass’ year either. Maybe 2022? :?
To me this is more BS. Many schools with new coaches can improve faster then what Bell/Bamford are telling us. Just make the games at least competitive and watchable. Bad coaching is like bad wine, it doesn't get better with age!
When you are selling program #130 out of #130 it is hard to "improve faster". Never mind independent, a concrete slab of a stadium, and shitty weather after October 15th. This team has not even sniffed a bowl - even though they smell like a bowl used right after Beef Burrito night.

You could bring in Nick Saban right now and it would be a struggle to have a meaningful instant improvement - and Nick Saban, my friend, is not walking through that door any time soon.....

UMass big-boy football will never aspire to be much better than #100 until a conference affiliation is made. Until then, enjoy the ride for what it is, or find another program to root for. I hear BC is looking for more asses in the seats.
In Matt McCall I trust!

dennisdent
Junior
Posts: 736
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 7:18 pm
Location: Too close to the Beltway

Re: 2020 Season

Post by dennisdent » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:19 pm

eldonabe wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:32 pm
dennisdent wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:41 am
jjmc85 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:37 am
It’s going to be another very long season. Listening to the Plant the Flag podcast about recruiting day and Bell is stressing he needs another class or two. Bamford has said similar things. So I’m going to believe them that this season isn’t going to be UMass’ year either. Maybe 2022? :?
To me this is more BS. Many schools with new coaches can improve faster then what Bell/Bamford are telling us. Just make the games at least competitive and watchable. Bad coaching is like bad wine, it doesn't get better with age!
When you are selling program #130 out of #130 it is hard to "improve faster". Never mind independent, a concrete slab of a stadium, and shitty weather after October 15th. This team has not even sniffed a bowl - even though they smell like a bowl used right after Beef Burrito night.

You could bring in Nick Saban right now and it would be a struggle to have a meaningful instant improvement - and Nick Saban, my friend, is not walking through that door any time soon.....

UMass big-boy football will never aspire to be much better than #100 until a conference affiliation is made. Until then, enjoy the ride for what it is, or find another program to root for. I hear BC is looking for more asses in the seats.
Totally disagree with the Negative Nelly take on UMass football! UMass football was just there--competitive, watchable and respectful--with all the negatives you posted. The schedule is much easier and the team plays home in Amherst. Don't tell me that schools like SIU can blow UMass out at home because it has better facilities and weather then UMass.

With your defeatist attitude you would NEVER be my "friend." Telling me to root for BC--I put a curse on your family! :wink:

stevemaz
Junior
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:23 am

Re: 2020 Season

Post by stevemaz » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:54 am

I wont predict a bowl game in 2021 because they play two FCS and will finish 6-6. But, 2022 we will be eligible.

Post Reply