2020 Season

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
User avatar
Quann
Senior
Posts: 1482
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:17 pm
Location: Start Line, MA

Re: 2020 Season

Post by Quann » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:28 pm

Jack wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:55 pm
Quann wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:11 am Boy oh boy. Should have taken a deep breath a few weeks ago and waited. Never follow UConn on anything!
'
^^^^ This 1000% - Wonderful News that we are going to play football this fall. Never do what Ukon does. GO UMASS !!!!!
Yes! Good news all around. Even if they only end up playing 3 or 4 games, I'm still excited. Go UMass!!

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2036
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:25 am

Re: 2020 Season

Post by TruBluMaroon » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:55 pm

Just take over Notre Dame’s schedule!! Or the part that doesn’t have numbers next to their name!! Georgia Tech, BC, Syracuse, Florida State......will add in Pitt because they are closer than the rest with numbers next to their name!

eldonabe
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4475
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:34 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: 2020 Season

Post by eldonabe » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:02 am

TruBluMaroon wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:55 pm Just take over Notre Dame’s schedule!! Or the part that doesn’t have numbers next to their name!! Georgia Tech, BC, Syracuse, Florida State......will add in Pitt because they are closer than the rest with numbers next to their name!
Um...... Umass has a number next to their name - #130
In Matt McCall I trust!

User avatar
SignMan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2604
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:48 pm

Re: 2020 Season

Post by SignMan » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:33 am

I'm thinking that we should play Campbell U.
They have a 4 game schedule; 2 down, 2 to play.
D1 school
Christian school, so we can be Liberal UMass PC and replace Liberty without any complaints...
and,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVya4Rv5bSU
furthermore...

playing Campbell could help get us over the hump.
He struck out so many times last year that putting him on the roster this year is rather baseless.

User avatar
e_parade
Junior
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:15 pm
Location: Boston

Re: 2020 Season

Post by e_parade » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:02 am

Looking through some schedules, the most likely candidates are BYU and Marshall, who both have multiple dates open going through November.

Marshall open dates: 11/7 and 11/28 - they currently only have 8 games plus potentially the C-USA championship game to put them at 9

BYU open dates: 11/7, 11/14, and 11/28 - also currently only have 8 games but with no potential championship game

Army currently has 10 games plus Navy, maybe they'll move the postponed BYU game to 11/28 though to get back to 11 + Navy. If they for some reason want 13 games or if another game needs to be canceled/postponed for COVID, they currently have 10/31 open.

Liberty has 10 games scheduled and only 10/31 and 11/28 open


So:
10/31: Army?
11/7: Marshall
11/14: BYU
11/28: Liberty?


Try to convince Air Force to take on another home game in between their Army and Navy ones (they only have a 2 game schedule, 1 month apart)?

Jack
Senior
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: 2020 Season

Post by Jack » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:39 pm

I will appreciate each and every game that we can schedule as it will likely pay dividends for the program down the road. Our team needs as much game experience and exposure as it can get. Hopefully Coach Bell will have the players ready to play and hopefully some of these games will be televised.

Sheck
Senior
Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:13 am
Location: NH

Re: 2020 Season

Post by Sheck » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:36 pm

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... ecommended

Might get to play in a bowl this year, lol.
One if by land, two if by slam!

User avatar
R&G
Junior
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:45 am
Location: South Shore

Re: 2020 Season

Post by R&G » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:04 am

I'm curious why there hasn't been an announcement about whatever games have been scheduled. It would be strange (and not particularly smart) if they made the decision to play this fall without having at least two games set up already.

DrG
Senior
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:02 pm
Location: MA

Re: 2020 Season

Post by DrG » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:28 am

I have to believe the AD wouldn't have made the announcement if he didn't have at least 2 or 3 games solidly lined up. It makes sense to hold off on a scheduling announcement until the full schedule is finalized, however many games that might be. It's not like season ticketholders need to make plans.

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 14912
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: 2020 Season

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:36 am

I think once they have 4 lined up they will announce those, with a note that they are still looking for 1 or more opponents to add.

Remember the last line of the release:
The department will announce media rights distribution plans as games are scheduled throughout the fall.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

harbo
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:22 pm

Re: 2020 Season

Post by harbo » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:16 pm

I'd like to propose we find seven other like-minded schools (include a 1AA if needed) and cobble together an eight-team "tournament", just to have something a little bit meaningful to play for. Schedule each round two weeks apart to allow flexibility around other committed games. Winners of each round move on to play the other winners with the "championship" at a time and place agreed upon by the participants. Likewise, losers play off for 3rd, 5th, and 7th place "bragging rights".

Lots of logistics and way late to start this up, but at least it would be something to provide a little incentive.

Camby4Life
Senior
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:00 am
Location: South Boston

Re: 2020 Season

Post by Camby4Life » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:18 am

DrG wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:28 am I have to believe the AD wouldn't have made the announcement if he didn't have at least 2 or 3 games solidly lined up. It makes sense to hold off on a scheduling announcement until the full schedule is finalized, however many games that might be. It's not like season ticketholders need to make plans.
Common sense is out the window these days. Nothing would surprise me at this point. The AD continues to make questionable decisions and continually gets a free pass. Looking forward to how this plays out.

User avatar
MassMan06
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3171
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:59 am
Location: Eastern MA

Re: 2020 Season

Post by MassMan06 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:20 pm

Camby4Life wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:18 am
DrG wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:28 am I have to believe the AD wouldn't have made the announcement if he didn't have at least 2 or 3 games solidly lined up. It makes sense to hold off on a scheduling announcement until the full schedule is finalized, however many games that might be. It's not like season ticketholders need to make plans.
Common sense is out the window these days. Nothing would surprise me at this point. The AD continues to make questionable decisions and continually gets a free pass. Looking forward to how this plays out.
Did the Big Ten and Pac 10 make questionable decisions as well?

PreecherJenkins
Senior
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:41 am

Re: 2020 Season

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:40 am

The big ten probably not. They have rapid testing a teams are playing set of 8 games. Umass has no guarantee of games. I don’t see how we’re going to wake up on Monday when wake and Nd cancel and go down to Winnie Salem to play wake on Saturday. We’re seeing it week after week games are getting cancelled. There might be an nfl games cancelled today.

Where is the money coming from for the testing and the games? Oh wait They fired 58 ppl to help make this possible.

Camby4Life
Senior
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:00 am
Location: South Boston

Re: 2020 Season

Post by Camby4Life » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:11 am

MassMan06 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:20 pm
Camby4Life wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:18 am
DrG wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:28 am I have to believe the AD wouldn't have made the announcement if he didn't have at least 2 or 3 games solidly lined up. It makes sense to hold off on a scheduling announcement until the full schedule is finalized, however many games that might be. It's not like season ticketholders need to make plans.
Common sense is out the window these days. Nothing would surprise me at this point. The AD continues to make questionable decisions and continually gets a free pass. Looking forward to how this plays out.
Did the Big Ten and Pac 10 make questionable decisions as well?
Of course they did. They were outnumbered 3-2 in the big 5 and the backlash of canceling built up and they caved. But at least they can put together a conference schedule on the fly. Umass doesn’t have that guarantee. Making that early rash decision to cancel the season was a dumb follow the media campaign move. Can’t wait to see what schedule Bamford puts together.

Post Reply