2020 Season

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
Quann
Senior

Re: 2020 Season

Post by Quann » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:56 am

Looks like the big 10 will be back in October. Nothing official yet but supposedly voting today.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:33 am

Suppose the Big Ten has a shortened fall football season. What does that leave UMass in terms of scheduling for spring football? PAC-12, MAC, Mountain West, ODU, New Mexico State, and any FCS schools that wind up playing spring ball. I doubt there will be any pay-for-play games, and if there are, it won’t be for much money. I can’t see many PAC-12 or MWC schools traveling across the country or wanting to play at McGuirk. There’s also a chance that there is conference only play in the spring. Although I hope UMass plays a shortened spring schedule (smattering of MAC and FCS) just to get the players some game time, it’s looking incredibly unlikely.

TruBluMaroon
Senior

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:42 pm

Watching the Pats play in front of an empty Gillette, reminds me of some of the UM games at Gillette!

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:57 am

Quann wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:52 pm
Jack wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:03 pm
Watching the season get underway today and realizing that there are many programs who can and have been able to play underscores how unfortunate that UMass is not playing. Seems idiotic to me. Oh well - Go Appy State !!! :D
Everybody should be playing. UMass got caught up in the season cancel hysteria when the PAC 12 and big ten postponed. Wish they had taken a deep breath and waited like the sec, big 12, ACC, etc, there is no reason they shouldn’t be playing right now.
I agree 100% I think UMASS made a poor decision when we decided not to play sports. It seems like a huge blown opportunity for the football program and the University. I fully expect that the B10 will wake up and realize that it was a dumb and costly decision not to play football. I wish that UMASS would do the same.

UMass'96
Junior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:11 am

When is it reasonable to expect a Spring Schedule to come out announcing what games will be played in the spring?

I would think that they would be working on that now...
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:57 am

UMass'96 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:11 am
When is it reasonable to expect a Spring Schedule to come out announcing what games will be played in the spring?

I would think that they would be working on that now...

I'm not sure the department even knows that, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't know until we're well into February.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:14 pm

So far, I'm finding that I have no interest in the college games that are being played. It just doesn't seem like a real season. The NFL is a different story . . . older professional players, strict league protocols on testing, contact tracing, face cover requirements, etc. So far I have seen little reason why the NFL can't pull this off. Colleges are different. Not only are there no uniform standards or protocols among the conferences, but college campuses are a COVID petri dish right now. Obviously programs like Ohio State want to play, but I hear that there are at least four Big Ten schools that will not play under any circumstances. As much as I miss going to the games, independents like UMass and UConn have absolutely made the right choice in my opinion.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:15 pm

Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more Dr.G. I see this as a significant blown opportunity for the UMass football program. The schools that are playing are demonstrating thus far that it can be done safely. I don't think shutting down the football program is necessary or even a good idea for our student athletes or the program.

capezona
Senior

Post by capezona » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:18 am

I think the jury is still out on the outcomes of the games being played now, especially those with fans in attendance. These events tend to be superspreaders (note Sturgis and Tulsa, but they're extremes). We'll see.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:31 am

Big Ten is back in business, per CNN and other sources.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:34 am

B10 is now going ahead with football after realizing that cancelling the season was an overreaction and a mistake. Apparently the health officials in the B10 don't agree w/Capezone that college football "tends to be super spreaders" I'm not so sure about that - Have there been any reports of playing college football causing a Covid 19 spike ?

UMass'96
Junior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:51 am

If Sturgis can be held relatively safely, then I think that football games can be played.

Based on the article below, I don't know if Sturgis can be considered a "Super Spreader". There's a John Hopkins review as well that questions the validity that Sturgis was a spreader. Although, knowing the audience on this board, I'm sure that there will be several examples showing that even John Hopkins conclusions are wrong and that Corona is the prequel to the Armageddon.

The media is good at fanning the flames of fear. 'OMG, they are going to hold Sturgis! Everyone will catch Covid! Everyone be very afraid!' But they are not very good at then presenting the actual results of the event. But it doesn't matter, they have accomplished their intent of instilling fear. Nobody is going to go back and actually validate the media predictions.
capezona wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:18 am
I think the jury is still out on the outcomes of the games being played now, especially those with fans in attendance. These events tend to be superspreaders (note Sturgis and Tulsa, but they're extremes). We'll see.
But so far residents of Sturgis — a city with a population of about 7,000 — appear to have weathered the rally without any major outbreaks. The city held free testing after the rally and of the 650 people who participated, only 26 cases turned up positive.
"I think it shows that a lot of the mitigation efforts that we did proved to be very successful," said Ainslie.
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... ycle-rally
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:57 pm

The Big Ten is looking at tens of millions of dollars in lost TV revenue, so this comes as no surprise. Also, the power 5 schools have the resources to institute state-of-the-art COVID procedures, like the quick-result testing which the NFL is using. This stuff costs money that many Group of 5 schools and definitely FCS schools don't have. I realize G5 conferences like the Sun Belt, CUSA and even the AAC are playing, but they are dominated by southern schools where spending priorities are a little different.
Last edited by DrG on Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quann
Senior

Post by Quann » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:00 pm

I'm with Jack, huge missed opportunity for UMass to play this year. We could have done it with zero fans in attendance at home and then at least the kids that came here to play FBS football still get to suit up. I have to imagine the majority of them are very disappointed after seeing at least 1/2 of the FBS programs playing football last Saturday while they sit at home, with more programs coming back in the coming weeks.

Crank
Senior

Post by Crank » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:52 pm

UMass'96 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:51 am
If Sturgis can be held relatively safely, then I think that football games can be played.

Based on the article below, I don't know if Sturgis can be considered a "Super Spreader". There's a John Hopkins review as well that questions the validity that Sturgis was a spreader. Although, knowing the audience on this board, I'm sure that there will be several examples showing that even John Hopkins conclusions are wrong and that Corona is the prequel to the Armageddon.

The media is good at fanning the flames of fear. 'OMG, they are going to hold Sturgis! Everyone will catch Covid! Everyone be very afraid!' But they are not very good at then presenting the actual results of the event. But it doesn't matter, they have accomplished their intent of instilling fear. Nobody is going to go back and actually validate the media predictions.
capezona wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:18 am
But so far residents of Sturgis — a city with a population of about 7,000 — appear to have weathered the rally without any major outbreaks. The city held free testing after the rally and of the 650 people who participated, only 26 cases turned up positive.
"I think it shows that a lot of the mitigation efforts that we did proved to be very successful," said Ainslie.
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... ycle-rally
I wouldn't go starting the duck boats proclaiming Sturgis as a non-spreader. If you're going to cherry pick quotes from the article link you posted, there are plenty of others that stand out on the other side:
"--The tally of coronavirus infections traced back to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally has surpassed 260, an estimate that is growing steadily as more states report cases and at least one death.
--At least 12 states have turned up cases linked to the 10-day event.
--Minnesota has counted more than 45 cases tied to the rally, and that only includes people who got tested and then notified state health departments about their possible exposure at Sturgis.
--Public health experts say the number of cases linked to the event will probably never be clear.
--"I think it's still a little early to really know how this is going to play out," says Dr. Marcus Plescia, chief medical officer for the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials.
--Many Sturgis residents left town during the rally and those who stayed were encouraged not to have much contact with visitors and to take precautions when they did