FIRE WALT BELL!

Get ready for some MACtion
ZooMass84
Senior

Re: FIRE WALT BELL!

Post by ZooMass84 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:28 pm

econalum wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:52 pm
ZooMass84 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:09 pm
Used to be VOR wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:51 pm Just a question for the group.

Is there anything that could ever convince certain members of this board that getting out of FBS football would be the right move?

I am honestly curious.
Dropping the sport or dropping back down to FCS would make sense if the administration didn't want a USNWR #64 univ and #24 public university. If we want to get into the AAU, then you don't drop the sport. If you want to be URI, then drop the sport. Anyone who says UMass would have over 42,000 applications as a FCS or no football school is just totally wrong. Don't tell me it's a coincidence that applications doubled when we went FBS. You can't buy the exposure FBS football gives you. Yes, we suck, and I'll be honest: we probably will always be pretty bad (not like this season) but maybe 3 or 4 wins, tops.
A Correlation that has no causal link. Rankings are based on everything BUT athletic success.
That's false. The rankings include the student experience (which includes sports). I just described the causal link: increased exposure and increased applications.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:32 pm

MassMan06 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:02 am
ZooMass84 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:09 pm Anyone who says UMass would have over 42,000 applications as a FCS or no football school is just totally wrong. Don't tell me it's a coincidence that applications doubled when we went FBS.
Over what time period was that jump?
I just told you: since 2011/2012. Look at UMass' own records.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:36 pm

daveyboy wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:25 am Umass has spent 10 seasons getting kicked around in every way possible.The jump in apps is due to financial pressures
in parents,students and the college debt accrued. UMass offers
a very good to exclent education with much for much less.
F
There's nothing cheap about the cost of a UMass education. I just heard $130,000 for 4 years on WBZ or WCRN this morning. In fact, it's NOT much less. UMass is one of the most expensive public universities, not the cheapest, that is not in the AAU.

MassMan06
Hall of Fame

Post by MassMan06 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:00 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:36 pm There's nothing cheap about the cost of a UMass education. I just heard $130,000 for 4 years on WBZ or WCRN this morning. In fact, it's NOT much less. UMass is one of the most expensive public universities, not the cheapest, that is not in the AAU.
According to College Board, average in-state public cost is $25k. UMass is $30k.

Private college average is $52k.

So yes, it's significantly cheaper.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:05 pm

MassMan06 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:00 pm
ZooMass84 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:36 pm There's nothing cheap about the cost of a UMass education. I just heard $130,000 for 4 years on WBZ or WCRN this morning. In fact, it's NOT much less. UMass is one of the most expensive public universities, not the cheapest, that is not in the AAU.
According to College Board, average in-state public cost is $25k. UMass is $30k.

Private college average is $52k.

So yes, it's significantly cheaper.
UMass is public, not private. UMass is one of the most expensive public universities NOT in the AAU. It's like paying for a stock with a very high P/E ratio.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:03 am

ZooMass84 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:36 pm
daveyboy wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:25 am Umass has spent 10 seasons getting kicked around in every way possible.The jump in apps is due to financial pressures
F
There's nothing cheap about the cost of a UMass education. I just heard $130,000 for 4 years on WBZ or WCRN this morning. In fact, it's NOT much less. UMass is one of the most expensive public universities, not the cheapest, that is not in the AAU.
130,000 is an inflated price. For in state students it is closer to 100k. And elite private schools are in the upper 60 to 70k per year. One big difference is that private schools use their endowment lower actual cost by grant/gift in many cases and UMass caps their merit aid at 4K per year and doesn’t have an endowment that allows for grant/gift aid.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:25 am

With the democratization of information that the internet now provides, these college tuition prices are an absolute joke. It’s a nice racket to be in I guess.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:41 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:27 am There are too many jobs at stake and thank God we live in the 4th wealthiest state in the US.
ZooMass84 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:05 pm UMass is public, not private. UMass is one of the most expensive public universities NOT in the AAU. It's like paying for a stock with a very high P/E ratio.
Hey buddy, you can't have it both ways.

How about the correlation between wealth/median income and cost of living/CPI? Isn't spending typically pretty proportional to income?

UMass should (and I believe is trying to) make strides to be more affordable and accessible, but it's already a great bargain when you consider the schools its applicants cross-shop.

Also, UMass is not one of the most expensive public universities NOT in the AAU. By my count, they're the 94th most expensive by in-state average loan amount (https://www.payscale.com/college-roi). And what kind of benchmark is comparing to public universities NOT in the AAU? Why should we be comparing UMass to the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma and The University of Montana-Western?
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:18 pm

McKinney wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:41 pm
ZooMass84 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:27 am There are too many jobs at stake and thank God we live in the 4th wealthiest state in the US.
ZooMass84 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:05 pm UMass is public, not private. UMass is one of the most expensive public universities NOT in the AAU. It's like paying for a stock with a very high P/E ratio.
Hey buddy, you can't have it both ways.

How about the correlation between wealth/median income and cost of living/CPI? Isn't spending typically pretty proportional to income?

UMass should (and I believe is trying to) make strides to be more affordable and accessible, but it's already a great bargain when you consider the schools its applicants cross-shop.

Also, UMass is not one of the most expensive public universities NOT in the AAU. By my count, they're the 94th most expensive by in-state average loan amount (https://www.payscale.com/college-roi). And what kind of benchmark is comparing to public universities NOT in the AAU? Why should we be comparing UMass to the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma and The University of Montana-Western?
First, what does one have to do with the other?

Second, the AAU (I'll explain for you) is the Assoc of top Research Universities in the US. These are the major univ that have the best facilities for research & make more off DOD, NIH, etc grants than all the bowls combined. UMass is not in this group. Look at the USNWR lists and tell me that under public univs and their tuition costs, that UMass is ALMOST as expensive as Michigan, Virginia, Penn State. Their endowments are in the billions, not 300 million. The Univ of Science and Arts of Oklahoma and The Univ of Montana-Western are little rinky dink schools. I'm talking national universities.

My point being, I'm very happy UMass went 1A, because they had to for academic reasons. Like Chancellor Lombardi said, "UMass is too small to be big, and too big to be small". However, this FBS program has been nothing but misery for 8 years and like another poster said on here (I think Johnlescotthair) that we will have a succession of coaches who put the blame for being shitty on the previous coach. I've donated to the Minuteman Club and have the hats and little helmets, but until a T.Boone Pickens donates 1 billion dollars to UMass, we will be playing in a high school stadium and only get 2 and low 3 star recruits.

SJGMoney
Junior

Post by SJGMoney » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:31 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:03 am
F
130,000 is an inflated price. For in state students it is closer to 100k. And elite private schools are in the upper 60 to 70k per year. One big difference is that private schools use their endowment lower actual cost by grant/gift in many cases and UMass caps their merit aid at 4K per year and doesn’t have an endowment that allows for grant/gift aid.
It's virtually $130k, not $100k. I know, i've written the checks
UMass '87

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:06 pm

SJGMoney wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:31 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:03 am

It's virtually $130k, not $100k. I know, i've written the checks
well good to know, because with my son applying to schools the literature they put out says closer to 100k. Sadly, he’s not going to end top there. He will end up at a private school that can give us more money-we’re lucky to be needy I guess and he is wicked smaht.

SJGMoney
Junior

Post by SJGMoney » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:27 pm

Hate to break it to you, the private schools know exactly what their competition (UMass) costs and they'll come close to it but the only ones that are cheaper are far inferior schools. Your kid like mine may qualify for different UMass scholarships that bring it closer to $25k per year but the average kid isn't getting those, the competition is tough, as it should be.
UMass '87

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:54 pm

Jesus, I guess the 30k i paid for 4 years at UMass wasn't bad
Time to Win

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:52 pm

SJGMoney wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:27 pm Hate to break it to you, the private schools know exactly what their competition (UMass) costs and they'll come close to it but the only ones that are cheaper are far inferior schools. Your kid like mine may qualify for different UMass scholarships that bring it closer to $25k per year but the average kid isn't getting those, the competition is tough, as it should be.
We are lucky that some of the more selective schools meet total need and I think he can get in there. One bonus of teacher salary....

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:00 pm

I graduated in 2003 and my total for the four years was less than 40k. Can’t believe it’s gone up 150 percent in 16 years. That’s outrageous.