FIRE WALT BELL!

Get ready for some MACtion
dennisdent
Senior

Re: FIRE WALT BELL!

Post by dennisdent » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:00 am

It was senior day yesterday, so what does Bell do--he starts the non-senior incompetent QB. If Brito hadn't been injured UMass wouldn't have scored any points and West would not have played. Curtis not being at senior day is worrisome. To me this is all I need to know about Bell's character!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:32 am

Why did he not participate in senior day?
Time to Win

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:41 am

dennisdent wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:00 am It was senior day yesterday, so what does Bell do--he starts the non-senior incompetent QB. If Brito hadn't been injured UMass wouldn't have scored any points and West would not have played. Curtis not being at senior day is worrisome. To me this is all I need to know about Bell's character!
He was there. He was playing catch with Fallon during the game and before west hanging out with Andy Isabella. He chose no to participate in senior day activities. I don’t think he participated last year, but he may have. He is a fifth year player. He may have participated last year in anticipation of transferring and then didn’t transfer. (That is all unfounded conjecture and guess, I have no proof of it).

SJGMoney
Junior

Post by SJGMoney » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:14 pm

I'm sure he was disgusted with the process this year but he's a classy kid who just kept his mouth shut during the whole thing and not participating in the Senior day was the only statement he wanted to make about the whole thing
UMass '87

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:44 pm

Feel most post from emotion and the similar things were said about Matt McCall for two straight years. Need to give him 3 years.
Hopefully, then you all can eat your words as this years bb team. If not, I'll smash my maroon glasses.

Then I'll get a new pair of glasses.

PS. Know it is simpler to turnover a 13 player basketball roster, then football. But by year three we should know if things are looking up.
Go UMass!!

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:11 pm

Steve81 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:44 pm Feel most post from emotion and the similar things were said about Matt McCall for two straight years. Need to give him 3 years.
Hopefully, then you all can eat your words as this years bb team. If not, I'll smash my maroon glasses.

PS. Know it is simpler to turnover a 13 player basketball roster, then football. But by year three we should know if things are looking up.
I don't know if there will even be a program for Bell to screw up if we go 1-11 or 0-12 in 2020. In all seriousness, we need 30 scholarship and 30 walk-ons next year. Football is not basketball: we need a full roster; 85 vs. 12 or 13 BB players. The BYU game yesterday was so typical of 2019.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:44 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:11 pm
Steve81 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:44 pm Feel most post from emotion and the similar things were said about Matt McCall for two straight years. Need to give him 3 years.

I don't know if there will even be a program for Bell to screw up if we go 1-11 or 0-12 in 2020. In all seriousness, we need 30 scholarship and 30 walk-ons next year. Football is not basketball: we need a full roster; 85 vs. 12 or 13 BB players. The BYU game yesterday was so typical of 2019.
Come on ZooMass84, UMass basketball total sucked in 80's, just as bad if not worst, if possible, than football. Give it time.
We had 45 dressed players, less than BYU traveling team as one with great knowledge articulated. Give Bell time to recruit a few years.
Go UMass!!

umassfan0299
Junior

Post by umassfan0299 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:04 pm

UMass is currently dead last at FBS in opponents points per game at 52.7. 2nd place is New Mexico St at 40.3. NMSU would need to surrender 189 points in their season finale vs Liberty to surpass UMass. Incredible! All Walt Bell can do is be thankful that BYU took mercy on them after dropping 6 TDs in the second quarter Saturday. What a disaster!

Quite a strong contrast to our old 1-AA Championship foes. Appalachian St is 10-1 with wins over both South Carolina and North Carolina. They have a shot a one of the New Years Six bowls this year and huge financial windfall to the program. The only thing keeping them from an undefeated season this year is a 24-21 loss to 6-5 Georgia Southern, who also has a narrow 35-32 defeat to top 10 Minnesota.

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:14 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:33 pm
I called him Molnar 2.0 after the SIU game. He's actually worse than Molnar. Good chance we go 1-11 or 0-12 next year and then he SHOULD be fired but probably take 2 more years. Why did he punt on 4th and 4 at the end of the 3rd quarter? We were already down by 39 points.
This is a head scratcher. Besides having a senior from MA run out with the state flag before games, which I admit was cool, I challenge anyone to name anything good he did. Was it blowing off the history of the program and dismissing all of it’s accomplishments? Talking about “big boy football” and dismissing all of FCS as inferior while getting his ass kicked by Maine? Was it forcing his starting QB to box and get concussed during winter workouts?

Listen to Doyle in the Curry Hicks Sage podcast talk about how messed up that time period was and all the stuff they were forced to do that no one else did. To be honest, Molnar is probably the worst coach regardless of sport to be employed at UMass. He’s definitely the worst revenue sport coach ever employed at UMass.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:23 am

Steve81 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:44 pm

Come on ZooMass84, UMass basketball total sucked in 80's, just as bad if not worst, if possible, than football. Give it time.
We had 45 dressed players, less than BYU traveling team as one with great knowledge articulated. Give Bell time to recruit a few years.
Since the FACT has been repeated, just wanted to point out that according to the official game participation sheet, UM PLAYED 50 players on Saturday I would guess that not everybody who dressed played, so that 45 dressing number is FALSE.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:55 am

TruBluMaroon wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:23 am
Steve81 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:44 pm

Since the FACT has been repeated, just wanted to point out that according to the official game participation sheet, UM PLAYED 50 players on Saturday I would guess that not everybody who dressed played, so that 45 dressing number is FALSE.
The 45 was dressed scholarship players. Not sure if that changes the numbers or is valid, but it is possible we played some walk ons. I don’t trust a lot of what is coming out of the department right now based on my eyes. But, it is possible that this 45 is accurate when qualified with scholarship players.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:47 pm

Is this guy fired yet? If he does survive the offseason, if he starts Brito 1st game next year we will have no chance. I hate talking bad about our players and don’t know anything about this kid, but he just isn’t a D1 starting QB. Bell’s play calling puts him in a no win situation.

The most points given up by a team ever is another reason to fire him.

The play that got me on the fire Bell bandwagon was the 4th and 19 fake punt from inside the 10 near the end of the 1st half at Army. What are you thinking? Bell’s play calling and decision making is inexcusable.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:13 pm

I am assuming that fake punt was off a read against the defense and it was there if you didn't, you know, have your punter try to complete a 30 yard pass.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:28 pm

MJatUM wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:13 pm I am assuming that fake punt was off a read against the defense and it was there if you didn't, you know, have your punter try to complete a 30 yard pass.
Correction
Actual play was a pass attempt by one of the two (2) blockers in front of the punter; one is a Linebacker and the other is listed as a QB/TE (recruited as QB, switched to TE).......and it wasn't the QB/TE that threw the pass.....

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:44 pm

^ Important correction, thank you.