FIRE WALT BELL!

Get ready for some MACtion
Quann
Hall of Fame

Re: FIRE WALT BELL!

Post by Quann » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:37 pm

Shank is such a lazy hack of a sports “journalist.” I thought Beetle was ready to kill him last week when he was complaining about the “the taxpayers funding this mess of a football program” while on zo&bettrand. Typical elitist Globie dink that goes for the easy clicks. I really can’t stand him.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:58 pm

It was so botched, I'm just starting to wonder if it can be turned around. I was completely sold on the FBS idea back in 2012. Performance center went up, new press box, now the video board. Unfortunately none of that has translated into anything close to competitive football. Eight years of this has me a lot less enthusiastic about the whole thing. 1-11 is nothing to get excited about. It is an embarrassment and the university has NEVER gone full tilt with this move starting with the stadium issue. It was always "let's see how little we can do and little we can spend and still make this move". Eight years later you see where that thinking has gotten us. Worst (FBS) team in all of college football, and in reality worse than many in FCS.

jpatsfan
Junior

Post by jpatsfan » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:26 pm

UMass is at a cross roads. You can not be a two buck chuck FBS program. You are either all in or not at all.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:37 pm

I posted this on September 15 after the Charlotte loss (0-3). I called Bell Molnar 2.0 and was admonished by the other board. I predicted 0-12 but Akron was a high school team. We are worse than all FBS, almost all FCS, most D2 and some D3 teams. The coach is so damn stubborn with that stupid hurry up offense its ridiculous. I get it, we are down to 50 or 60 kids: run the damn ball and try to take as much time off the clock each and every down. Brito is a tiny player who is NOT a FBS QB. He's not Kyler Murray. If Bell is still HC after next season, then just shut down the damn program. We can't go 1-11 again next season, that would make 4 1-11 seasons in 9 years. Unfortunately, we have 30 jobs to give out each season and nobody is going to kill that golden goose. RUN THE BALL, the defense is gassed after the 1st quarter.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:48 pm

McKinney wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:16 pm I understand the NCAA is pretty lax with the 15,000 attendance rule, but y'all I don't see how they'd grant waivers to three schools with football stadiums well below 15k in capacity. (UNH 11k, Maine 10k, URI 6.5k) In addition to those three, while Holy Cross meets the capacity requirements I don't think they'd be ready from a press box perspective (but they probably have the money to address this).

To my knowledge, none of those schools have expressed any intent on transitioning to FBS.

UMass' transition to FBS cost over $52M in capital expenditures ($34.5M on the FPC and press box, $17.5M on the video board, ADA, and bubble). And UMass hasn't even addressed the capacity of the stadium itself. Are these schools that have smaller enrollments, smaller endowments, fewer alumni, smaller state budgets, etc. ready to make that kind of commitment?

As I said I'd far rather some of our old FCS foes to move up to FBS than UMass move down to FCS, but I don't think it's going to be easy.
$50M for a f-ing joke of a program!!!! If I wasn't an alum, I'd be pissed but Mass. is such a corrupt totally blue state with scandals in state gov't, I can't get excited. State police, state lab scandal, etc. With 30 jobs allotted to the football team, no one is going to pull the plug on it.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:57 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:29 pm
photoman wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:15 pm Not sure how you can say this wasn't a brutally honest assessment. This was the most mishandled "move up" any of us have ever seen. I've grown tired of hearing how well get some great recruits because they'll be offered playing time. Blah blah blah....
So you think we should move back down? That is the assessment being made in the article. I Don’t agree with that. Yes the move was botched, but it was and is the right move.
We're not moving back to FCS. We're not Idaho. We're the 4th richest state in the US, not the 41st.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:01 pm

econalum wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:51 am
78 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:12 am While big boy football has been an unmitigated disaster, dropping the sport would be nearly impossible. It would cause significant issues re: title IX, and the school would have to add several male sports or cut some women sports in order to stay in compliance. It’s could be done, but it wouldn’t be easy.
So, it frees up 20 schollies or so, assuming we drop to FCS. that would allow us to add men's sports, or fully fund schollies in sports such as baseball or soccer that are under-resourced. Seems easy.
It doesn't work that way: Idaho dropped to FCS and they DID NOT add sports. 78 is right, it would screw up the entire athletic department. BU, Northeastern, Hofstra, etc dropped football and sports were not added.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:09 pm

Used to be VOR wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:51 pm Just a question for the group.

Is there anything that could ever convince certain members of this board that getting out of FBS football would be the right move?

I am honestly curious.
Dropping the sport or dropping back down to FCS would make sense if the administration didn't want a USNWR #64 univ and #24 public university. If we want to get into the AAU, then you don't drop the sport. If you want to be URI, then drop the sport. Anyone who says UMass would have over 42,000 applications as a FCS or no football school is just totally wrong. Don't tell me it's a coincidence that applications doubled when we went FBS. You can't buy the exposure FBS football gives you. Yes, we suck, and I'll be honest: we probably will always be pretty bad (not like this season) but maybe 3 or 4 wins, tops.

MassMan06
Hall of Fame

Post by MassMan06 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:02 am

ZooMass84 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:09 pm Anyone who says UMass would have over 42,000 applications as a FCS or no football school is just totally wrong. Don't tell me it's a coincidence that applications doubled when we went FBS.
Over what time period was that jump?

daveyboy
Freshman

Post by daveyboy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:25 am

Umass has spent 10 seasons getting kicked around in every way possible.The jump in apps is due to financial pressures
in parents,students and the college debt accrued. UMass offers
a very good to exclent education with much for much less.
F

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:52 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:09 pm
Used to be VOR wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:51 pm Just a question for the group.

Is there anything that could ever convince certain members of this board that getting out of FBS football would be the right move?

I am honestly curious.
Dropping the sport or dropping back down to FCS would make sense if the administration didn't want a USNWR #64 univ and #24 public university. If we want to get into the AAU, then you don't drop the sport. If you want to be URI, then drop the sport. Anyone who says UMass would have over 42,000 applications as a FCS or no football school is just totally wrong. Don't tell me it's a coincidence that applications doubled when we went FBS. You can't buy the exposure FBS football gives you. Yes, we suck, and I'll be honest: we probably will always be pretty bad (not like this season) but maybe 3 or 4 wins, tops.
A Correlation that has no causal link. Rankings are based on everything BUT athletic success.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:22 pm

I've posted the data before, but I am too lazy and not interested enough to go and find it again. UMass has seen a steady increase in applicants on an annual basis. There is zero relationship between UMass playing FBS football and applicants to the school. NONE!
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:24 am

2022.. 10-0 heading into College Station.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:26 am

I could be off by a year and it may be 2023.. 8-1 heading into Happy Valley

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:56 pm

The announcers for the game said they talked to Bell and he said that it would take him 4 years to have his own players. Don't know if he will last that long.