FIRE WALT BELL!

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
PreecherJenkins
Senior

Re: FIRE WALT BELL!

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:00 pm

has he been fired yet?

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:08 pm

It won't happen for at least 2 more years so you have to be patient.

Steve81
Senior

Post by Steve81 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:38 pm

I'll keep the faith as he does have a depleted roster. Someone, that I trust, said we only had 45 players suiting up for today's game. Yesterday a huge Arkansas State fan says he has faith in Walt Bell and the early signing period blows up a first year coach that initial season. Hockey and basketball have both shown great strides in year three. Bell has not been here a year yet. That said don't know about the assistance and some tweaks their maybe needed if there is not improvement next year.

dennisdent
Junior

Post by dennisdent » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:56 pm

Steve81 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:38 pm
I'll keep the faith as he does have a depleted roster. Someone, that I trust, said we only had 45 players suiting up for today's game. Yesterday a huge Arkansas State fan says he has faith in Walt Bell and the early signing period blows up a first year coach that initial season. Hockey and basketball have both shown great strides in year three. Bell has not been here a year yet. That said don't know about the assistance and some tweaks their maybe needed if there is not improvement next year.
"Tweaks"! :lol: Have a bridge to Northampton to sell to you--PM me. :wink:

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:51 pm

Bell needs at least one more year. If it’s the same shit at the end of next season with no improvement can him like Molnar.

Also would be interested to know what the selling point is for this coaching position. Old stadium, small fan base, small budget, no conference, in an area where high school football is not important so harder to recruit. I guess the bubble and the secondary bowl tie ins are an added bonus they didn’t have the last time the search was going on.

One conceivable way this works IMO is if they get lucky and hire a young guy who turns out to be great. That’s gonna take growing pains at the coaching position. Firing a young guy after 12 games would be counter to what the hope presumably was when he was hired.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

kd68
Junior

Post by kd68 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:25 pm

Was listening to game,(also, the Virginia basketball game) on Sirius while traveling.. The BYU announcers could not understand why we used a hurry up offense. Said something liked it looked like our plan was to get the ball back to BYU ASAP.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:53 pm

kd68 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:25 pm
Was listening to game,(also, the Virginia basketball game) on Sirius while traveling.. The BYU announcers could not understand why we used a hurry up offense. Said something liked it looked like our plan was to get the ball back to BYU ASAP.
That’s a question a lot of us have been asking the entire season. It’s mind-boggling.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

ZooMass84
Sophomore

Post by ZooMass84 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:33 pm

jjmc85 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:51 pm
Bell needs at least one more year. If it’s the same shit at the end of next season with no improvement can him like Molnar.

Also would be interested to know what the selling point is for this coaching position. Old stadium, small fan base, small budget, no conference, in an area where high school football is not important so harder to recruit. I guess the bubble and the secondary bowl tie ins are an added bonus they didn’t have the last time the search was going on.

One conceivable way this works IMO is if they get lucky and hire a young guy who turns out to be great. That’s gonna take growing pains at the coaching position. Firing a young guy after 12 games would be counter to what the hope presumably was when he was hired.
I called him Molnar 2.0 after the SIU game. He's actually worse than Molnar. Good chance we go 1-11 or 0-12 next year and then he SHOULD be fired but probably take 2 more years. Why did he punt on 4th and 4 at the end of the 3rd quarter? We were already down by 39 points.

ZooMass84
Sophomore

Post by ZooMass84 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:35 pm

78 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:53 pm
kd68 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:25 pm
That’s a question a lot of us have been asking the entire season. It’s mind-boggling.
2 mind-boggling things: Brito playing QB & the hurry up offense

stevemaz
Junior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:54 am

I have no issues with running hurry up offense as that is going to be our system going forward. Now if we actually a had to chance to win the game then I would slow it down. As for Brito, he is over his head at this level. We need a grad transfer QB who can run and one young guy to take the reigns in two years (I have no idea if the kid from Lawrence Academy fits this bill or not)

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:29 am

jjmc85 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:51 pm

We had a guy like that interested when we moved up, Neal Brown. Let’s hope we can find another candidate like that.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:22 am

Was Curtis hurt? He's a senior, right? Thought he and West would split time in this game for their last game, especially for a chance to play against a good program
The E sho, best show in town

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:42 am

Floyd wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:22 am
Was Curtis hurt? He's a senior, right? Thought he and West would split time in this game for their last game, especially for a chance to play against a good program
Curtis was relegated to third string and essentially not in the plans. He did not even participate in senior day activities.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:37 am

That is sad.

SJGMoney
Junior

Post by SJGMoney » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:44 am

That's the CULTURE that Walt Bell is building. Playing guys at QB who are not the best player at that position and running guys off the team. Playing to lose by constantlu running the ball on 3rd and long and then punting, not going for it on 4th and short when trailing big, not giving any young QBs a chance when his picks fail miserably, having the worst tackling and least physical team in the history of the game all while keeping his hair perfectly in place.

Only thing to do is cancel your season tickets and not support this inept, disgraceful culture.
UMass '87