Sports Psychic: The switch will be flipped next year?

Get ready for some MACtion
stevemaz
Senior

Sports Psychic: The switch will be flipped next year?

Post by stevemaz » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:09 am

Timing is always the hardest part for us mentally talented individuals, but I believe there Is a strong chance the switch will indeed be flipped next year. Sure we may still only win 4 games next year, maybe 5, and maybe even 6, but the record wont matter next year because everything changes. The offense begins to be a 40+ pt machine and the defense begins to find a way to hold teams to 31. Now for the bombshell

2021: 8 or 9 wins in our non P5 games
2022: 10-0 as we head into College Station vs an A&M team in the midst of a sub 500 year.

KEEP THE FAITH BOYS AND GIRLS

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Re: Sports Psychic: The switch will be flipped next year?

Post by Floyd » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:20 am

stevemaz wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:09 am the defense begins to find a way to hold teams to 31.
If they need to "find a way" to "hold" teams to 31, we're in trouble
Time to Win

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:14 am

not in today's college football.. more possessions per team these days.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:50 pm

Stevemaz, can I have some of your MDMA stash? 😁

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:45 pm

stevemaz wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:09 am Timing is always the hardest part for us mentally talented individuals, but I believe there Is a strong chance the switch will indeed be flipped next year. Sure we may still only win 4 games next year, maybe 5, and maybe even 6, but the record wont matter next year because everything changes. The offense begins to be a 40+ pt machine and the defense begins to find a way to hold teams to 31. Now for the bombshell

2021: 8 or 9 wins in our non P5 games
2022: 10-0 as we head into College Station vs an A&M team in the midst of a sub 500 year.

KEEP THE FAITH BOYS AND GIRLS
You are totally psychotic and are beyond clueless. We possibly could go 0-12 or 1-11 next year. Even SUNY Albany will beat us.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:50 pm

Maybe the switch will flip that tells Bell when you have zero defense, you do everything you can to keep them off the field. Oh, let's hurry up, go 3 and out, and get that D back out there. :roll:

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:39 am

^
Normally, I would agree with you on this point, but because this year doesn't matter, the head coach is better off implementing his system. Now, if we had a shot at 6 wins then structure things to give yourself the best chance to get those 6.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:23 am

Well, with the number of guys heading for the door, I'd say getting embarrassed most every week is a current problem, with future "ass biting" potential. If you are a recruit, why would you want to come to UMass?

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:42 am

Roadtrip wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:23 amIf you are a recruit, why would you want to come to UMass?
Because UMass is a fantastic school where you can get a great education, which is what most of the kids should be aiming for with their scholarship opportunities. Also because it's unlikely that you'll sit for three years behind others in your position, that you'll get playing time in your first or second year.

This is not the first time UMass football has been lousy, and with the right coach and recruiting staff we've been able to eventually attract good talent and compete. The hockey team was perennially lousy until we got the right coach. You can argue basketball has suffered the same fate. Why would any recruits in those sports have ever wanted to come to UMass? It takes the right coach. The question comes down to Bell and his ability to recruit and retain players.

Yeah, we've lost some players. I'm not sure how many of those were his recruits, I haven't tracked it that closely, but I sense not many. I'm definitely watching what happens to our group of current commits which I see as key to our future and the key indicator for now of Bell's performance. If he can't get good talent in the door, then we assuredly have a problem. We'll have to wait and see on that, but for now it looks like a pretty good group of kids, so clearly UMass can attract talent. Whether he can coach them and retain the players he selected down the road is a question I'll worry about at that point.

Either way, I certainly do not think any switch is going to get flipped next season. It will take more than one offseason to fix this defense unless we make a serious push for some JuCo talent. Even then, I still see this as being at minimum a two year process. As miserable as it is, I think we just need to be patient and hope Bell is the right guy. But if he's not, I'm not throwing in the towel, because I'd still believe UMass Football could find success under the right leader.