What do you want from the 2019 season

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
eldonabe
Hall of Fame

What do you want from the 2019 season

Post by eldonabe » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:50 am

What do you all want to see from this season regarding the football program. It is very open ended and it is subject to each of your own interpretation as to what the question is asking for.....

I have a pretty simple list:

1. A semblance of organization/structure - IMO Whip seemed to be inconsistent far too often. That is not the same as unpredictable.... I constantly got the feeling that Whip was "throwing something against the wall to see if it would stick"....

2. (A Major injury not withstanding) ... I want to see some solid progress from start to finish this season

3. I have ZERO win total expectations ..... I just want to see them competitive every week - no blow out losses.

To me, I want this season to be a table setter for Bell - get his system in place, get a year under every underclassmen's belt to get with the program and set his culture.

OH and I want them to beat UConn :wink: !
In Matt McCall I trust!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: What do you want from the 2019 season

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:11 am

Same page here. No win expectations. I could easily see us winning 0 as much as I could 4-5. I hope to see the team play hard each game and show improvement across the board as the season goes on. Show that they are competing every down regardless of the score.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

km109
Junior

Post by km109 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:17 am

Pretty comfortable with your wish list. Will add a few.

1. High level of effort every time out. Particularly play hard right to the end of the 1st half.

2. Have what seems to have been an excellent off season in strength and conditioning translate to the field. Critical for both the OL and DL.

3. Finish off what seems to be an exceptional start to recruiting for 2020. Keep high majors from poaching too many recruits (no way we won't lose someone) and round out the class in the Fall and Winter.
Last edited by km109 on Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:06 pm

km109 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:17 am
Pretty comfortable with your wish list. Will add a few.

1. High level of effort every time out. Particularly play hard right to the end of the 1st half.

2. Translate what seems to have been an excellent off season in strength and conditioning translate to the field. Critical for both the OL and DL.

3. Finish off what seems to be an exceptional start to recruiting for 2020. Keep high majors from poaching too many recruits (no way we won't lose someone) and round out the class in the Fall and Winter.
I forgot about this one.....

Recruiting seems to have gotten off to a good start with coach Bell. I would love to see him have this next recruiting class in the upper half of the rankings - top 65. I know it is just a paper ranking, but perception is reality for everyone from fans to coaches to other recruits....

Umass is not landing 4 & 5 star recruits... but if we can get some really solid 3 star kids that would translate into a real plan to get Umass out of the 100+ rankings in the polls and to that elusive and magical .500 record sooner than later.

Nobody here (except stevemaz) has any delusions of grandeur of 11 win seasons and a ranked program, and most are pretty realistic about any kind of P5 chance right now either.

Lets just get some solid footing over the next 4-5 years, maybe get into a bowl game during that window and find our niche` in the FBS world.
In Matt McCall I trust!

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:05 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:11 am
I hope to see the team play hard each game and show improvement across the board as the season goes on. Show that they are competing every down regardless of the score.
This is pretty much where I am. Coach Bell has talked about intensity a lot, particularly on defense. I want to see that intensity, regardless of the score. One thing I'm hoping to avoid are those the Jekyll and Hyde games where we actually run up a lead in the first half, then get cocky, lazy, lose focus (take your pick) and usually wind up losing. You have to bring that intensity consistently and not let your foot off the snake. And you have to bring it when you're getting creamed, and I think we will get creamed a few times this year, sorry to say.

I think transitioning to a new system is going to be rough at first, so I'm obviously hoping to see improvement in execution over the course of the season. Overall I agree with most here, this is year one of laying groundwork for Coach Bell and a new group of guys. Wins and losses are less important than being competitive, which could mean keeping it close, or keeping it intense if it isn't close.

I am looking forward to it. I feel we finally have the coach that can legitimately move us forward. I hope I'm proven right in a few years, and that we see glimmers of a hopeful future over the course of this season.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:53 pm

Would love to see a versatile scoring offense, but I'd really love to see the defense come together and eventually become a tough, shutdown unit like UMass used to be known for. Really impressed with the new staff and think good things will happen
The E sho, best show in town

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:35 pm

I'd like to see greatly improved clock management and in-game adjustments. I couldn't stand watching our HC staring at a clipboard with a bewildered look on his face. (and we saw that look a lot) As for wins/losses, some of you seem to be "ok" with the look of steady progress while continuing to lose. I'd like to see 4 wins minimum to show we're moving forward. I've had it with losing and 2 and 3 win seasons.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:07 am

1. Fewer dumb penalties in critical situations
2. Fewer mental mistakes in general (missed assignments, etc.)
3. Playing hard all game, every game.
4. Feeling that we have a well prepared and well coached team as the season progresses. I expect some growing pains early.

I don't expect a lot of wins given that we lost so much talent from last year's squad. I hate the term "rebuilding" but that's what we have with so many new faces both on the field and on the sidelines.

Next year, when someone posts "What do you want from the 2020 season?" I think there will be a different vibe.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:27 am

No double tight formations with a fullback dive on 3rd and 8.. too much too ask?? oh and not alternating QB's when a guy leads you down for a score. Although she is a great person, I would like to see Jen Brodeur less than 20 times a game which I think goes back to conditioning.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:39 am

^

Oye, the stupid revolving quarterback thing... I forgot about that!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Quann
Senior

Post by Quann » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:33 pm

If you see any of my posts from the past two seasons, I HATE the stupid two headed QB alternating system. Hopefully Walt never decides to do that. If we don’t get more than 0 wins this seasons, I’ll be pretty bummed.

jpatsfan
Junior

Post by jpatsfan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:02 pm

Simple....want them to smack those posers from Storrs. ConnU looking awful tonight in a dog fight leading 10-0 against Wagner.... :D :D :D :D :D

jpatsfan
Junior

Post by jpatsfan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:06 pm

Whoops ConnU throws a pick 6 now only up 3 to FCS Wagner. This season is already off to a great start and UMass has not played a down!!!!!

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:53 am

Admittedly I don’t follow football as closely as I do hoops but what I want see is the team not follow the script of teams past...jump out to an early lead and then get buried.

Unfortunately that’s exactly what happened last night. :(
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving