UConn to Big East 2020

Get ready for some MACtion
jpatsfan
Junior

UConn to Big East 2020

Post by jpatsfan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:28 am

Looks like this is going down. Not sure of the impact to UMass. AAC will bot allow UConn to stay as football only member.

Ramster

Re: UConn to Big East 2020

Post by Ramster » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:33 am

Could umass take UConn’s spot in the AAC?

jpatsfan
Junior

Post by jpatsfan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:44 am

This is where that whole stadium issue comes back to bite us in the butt. Doubtful they go with us. Word is they are looking at Army which would make them the exclusive home of the Army Navy game. UConn is expected to go Indy so not all bad news.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:54 am

If the AAC won't take UConn football, they're not touching us with a ten-foot pole. Sounds like independence is the most likely situation.

Maybe UMass and UConn football to the MAC with the same conditions as the Temple and UMass deal?
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:37 am

NO MAC! !

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:14 pm

^ "NO MAC!" . . . unless it's with cheese!

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:28 pm

UConn being a fellow indy would help with scheduling. Should be on the schedule every year now as the last game of the season.
#maction 🚩#flagship

jpatsfan
Junior

Post by jpatsfan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:38 pm

UConn going Indy is a huge plus for both schools....well more for us than them. The only way I see us even in AAC consideration is the following. We must leverage Gillette for the short term and financially commit to our on campis stadium expanding to 35-40K range. Our basketball facilities are at par if not top half for AAC. The rest of our facilities for the olympic sports are also really solid.

It would also help if Army turns them down. It will not be ODU or ASU because there is no expansion in media market. So UMass could make a play for pitching on keeping the AAC in New England and grabbing the Boston market.

It will not be an MWC team because geographically it will not make any sense. UMass solves the problem of football and basketball. Helps keep Temple and Cindy involved but we have to get out of the mediocre rut we are in. Honestly, the Walt Bell hiring and recent additions to the stadium plus the temporary bubble behind our stadium are now looming large.

The AAC either sees the long term value or they don't.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:06 pm

One of my many predictions coming true at long last. I totally expect UMass to join the Big East.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:24 pm

stevemaz wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:06 pm One of my many predictions coming true at long last. I totally expect UMass to join the Big East.
:lol: :roll: :lol:
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:19 pm

Boston/New England is a big TV market for pro sports, local college interest is limited.

What evidence is there that college or even UMass TV games draw? My guess, a .2 rating at best. I do not see UMass at all in 2018, see below.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/colleg ... v-ratings/

Face it, while many of us UMies enjoy watching UMass FB in person or TV, UMass FB has no credibility in audience TV draw.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

jpatsfan
Junior

Post by jpatsfan » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:02 am

econalum wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:19 pm Boston/New England is a big TV market for pro sports, local college interest is limited.

What evidence is there that college or even UMass TV games draw? My guess, a .2 rating at best. I do not see UMass at all in 2018, see below.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/colleg ... v-ratings/

Face it, while many of us UMies enjoy watching UMass FB in person or TV, UMass FB has no credibility in audience TV draw.
I am not ignorant to the fact that we are what we are. I still feel however if given the chance, with a successful program we can draw. The AAC is not going to come calling. Are only options with FBS football are 1) continue as an Indy, 2) form a national alliance with other indy's for scheduling and streaming of games, or 3) find other football partners and form a football only conference.

Crank
Senior

Post by Crank » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:02 am

Keep in mind the options available to the AAC-either a split arrangement with Army football only along with a non-football school or the remaining c-USA/MAC detritus. If ESPN has a say in this (which I think they will with the new media rights contract they just signed), who among what’s available has a worthwhile market to offer? Not to mention most of the c-usa options are mediocre academic institutions which is something university presidents care about. It’s going to be interesting to see what happens.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:04 pm

I’m not a huge college football guy so my thoughts aren’t very well educated but I want to weigh in here.

I want UMass football to succeed. I’m just not sure it can. I understand what having a successful football program can do for an institution or at least what they say it can. I just am not sure we will ever have that kind of success given the current landscape.

I also think getting to a bowl game matters more to some folks than it does to me. For me it doesn’t mean all that much unless it’s one of the better bowls which are clearly beyond our reach at the moment. Going 7-5 and getting a bid to the Preparation H Bowl in Akron, OH wouldn’t mean a ton to me. Progress I guess, which is something.

Could things change? Sure. Could getting into a conference like the AAC be a first step in that change? Sure. I don’t think we will get invited but I hope I’m wrong.

I say all this while recognizing I don’t have the same connection to the football team that I do basketball.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:21 pm

Jackson96 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:04 pm I also think getting to a bowl game matters more to some folks than it does to me. For me it doesn’t mean all that much unless it’s one of the better bowls which are clearly beyond our reach at the moment.
The good news is that the AAC has some pretty strong bowl ties as far as G5 conferences go.
Jackson96 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:04 pm Going 7-5 and getting a bid to the Preparation H Bowl in Akron, OH wouldn’t mean a ton to me. Progress I guess, which is something.
Just making a bowl, in general, is probably close to an equivalent accomplishment for UMass as making the NIT.

Duke fans wouldn't be happy about making the NIT. Alabama fans wouldn't happy about making a no-name bowl. UMass fans would probably feel pretty good about either of those postseason appearances. It's all relative.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass