Assistant Coaching Staff

Get ready for some MACtion
McKinney
Senior

Re: Assistant Coaching Staff

Post by McKinney » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:31 am

aubahi wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:34 am If true, AAR is both a huge coup, and maybe a disappointment. He's young and inexperienced. He's been a college coach for one year, the corners coach at MD, and the corners didn't have a great year. I have no idea if he'll be able to make halftime adjustments.

But he's also one of the most well respected, well connected coaches and recruiters in the DMV. He would have easily been the best recruiter on staff the last few years. I don't know about his coaching, but he'll absolutely raise the talent level at UMass.
Maryland did lead the country in interceptions per opponent pass attempt. 18 interceptions.
Last edited by McKinney on Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:32 am

STATS coming to the rescue!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:18 pm

The hire of Aazaar Abdul-Rahim is getting a lot of buzz between high school athletes in the recruiting world, that is definitely a good thing. Sounds like he is well respected among his peers.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:08 pm

^ I agree. He sounds like a valuable hire. Let's hope he can convert some of these offers into commits. I'll take 15% and be more than happy.

aubahi

Post by aubahi » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:02 am

McKinney wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:31 am
Maryland did lead the country in interceptions per opponent pass attempt. 18 interceptions.
Yes, but how about you and innverisions use "STATS" and tell me how many of those came from the position group he coached. Answer: not many.
RaVon Davis had 3, Tino Ellis had 1.

Look, I think AAR is going to raise the talent level, but I, along with none of you, know how he's going to be as a DC, and I think it's naive to say that he was a particularly effective position coach the last few years.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:05 am

^ Unless the cornerbacks were so good that that not many pass attempts came their way.

I'm too lazy to research much, but here is one tidbit: https://247sports.com/college/maryland/ ... 121372573/

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:51 am

Rookie HC selects a Rookie DC ... this should be interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing the program continue to improve under Coach Bell and hopefully Coach Rahim will bring us a bevy of talented defenders in short order.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:01 pm

aubahi wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:02 am Look, I think AAR is going to raise the talent level, but I, along with none of you, know how he's going to be as a DC, and I think it's naive to say that he was a particularly effective position coach the last few years.
That's fair and I'd agree. But in your previous post, you seemed to have far more negative views of him being young and inexperienced. He is inexperienced. This is his first coordinator role after all. But I'd give him a bit more credit than saying he has one year in college.

He has three as a position coach: two as DB coach and an additional year with a "focus on CBs". He also has two years in college (albeit not as a position coach) as a defensive analyst and assistant director of player personnel. His high school football experience is also impressive. How many people can claim they've built a powerhouse from scratch? That experience may not directly translate to college, but it shouldn't be dismissed outright either. The guy is 42 years old and has 14 years of coaching experience.

To your point, we won't know how Rahim is as a coordinator until next fall. Until then, I'm going to hope for the best.

aubahi

Post by aubahi » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:44 pm

Yeah, that was my mistake saying it was his first year, for some reason I had it in my head this was year 1.

I'm on board with the hire. I think in 2-3 years he and Walt Bell and whomever else will have their recruits in place enough to out talent the teams on the schedule. I'm just... not negative, but tempering expectations. His corners were objectively not good this year. For someone who created and ran his own cornerback skills camps, and was/is a renowned for his ability to teach that position, the last years results were underwhelming. He made FCA a powerhouse because he out recruited other places.

Again, I have no idea how he'll be as a DC, and I'm happy he's here, but reading on this board for years how you're mad that coaches dont make adequate halftime adjustments, I dont know that this is the hire for you. His recruiting will excite you though. He's offered almost every unsigned or uncommitted in the DMV area for 2019 and 2020, including some unsigned MD kids that he was the primary recruiter for.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:42 pm

Theres a reason there is a co-dc who has been a dc before.. I think he is there to be 100% a mentor and guide him along.

Old-School
Junior

Post by Old-School » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:17 pm

In my opinion in order for him to come here we needed to make it worth his while. So for us to get a recruiter like him we needed to give him a promotion. If he's that good he won't be here long.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:01 pm

As long as he is here long enough to establish a decent defense that someone else can pick up and carry on. Lets not put ourselves that far ahead.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:27 pm

Theres a lot of youth on that DL - it will be very interesting to see whether Coach Rahim can develop the players who we already have in the program while also recruiting to upgrade the talent level. If he does a great job he'll likely get poached - that's how it works.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:06 pm

TheInsider wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:42 pm Theres a reason there is a co-dc who has been a dc before.. I think he is there to be 100% a mentor and guide him along.
Not really a pet peeve, but I do appreciate the English language and don’t get it when academic institutions butcher it. You can’t have a Defensive Coordinator and a Co-Defensive Coordinator. You can’t have a single “Co”: so UM must think a lot of Walt Bell if they are not holding him to the basic rules of English!!

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:20 pm

^ It's just one of those football-isms. Some teams have a co-coordinator and a full-blown coordinator. Some teams have two co-coordinators. Not sure why we don't see titles like "Vice Coordinator" or "Assistant Coordinator".