Hall of Fame

Re: U-Con

Post by 69MG » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:29 pm

Joe
‏@jpl04002
43m43 minutes ago
More
Replying to @C_Michael_Money
It doesn’t even bother me, honestly. This was the first UConn game I’ve watched since week 2. The teams were evenly matched in terms of talent, but UMass coached better and wanted it more.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:34 pm

It’s an especially nice win for UMass because it’s UConn’s homecoming! 8)
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

daveyboy
Freshman

Post by daveyboy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:54 pm

Nice win because it was vs an AAC team.It s in our best interest to have an improved UConn program to provide some relevant competition

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:08 pm

Whipple’s a lame duck at this point. He’s just coaching out his final days. Nothing will change that.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:26 pm

Stnwaller wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:58 pm Hey Jack you have mentioned the Band performing to the away side a couple of times now . I’m pretty sure it’s not there decision to play to the away side . If I’m wrong maybe someone else can chime in but as for the reasons this is how I understand it . When we went division 1 the athletic director thought it would be a good idea to move the home side to were it is now so the stands would look fuller on tv. He gave the season ticket holders the option to stay where they were or move to the “ new “ home side , most wanted to stay partly because of the sun in your face in the afternoon and for other reasons. the season ticket holders asked if the band could play to the “old home “ aka the away side since most of the faithful fans, which a lot are band parents were on that side. So the band obliged and has done so for at least the last 3 years cause that’s how long I have had season tickets . Like I said that’s what I was told maybe someone else has more details.
But like previous posts about the game it’s always sweet beating UCONN !!!!
The first year back at mcGuirk the band played to the new home side with a. Tune or two to the old side. Then year two switched it to facing the press box. My wife, a band alum, not happy. The band should play to the home fans. It's stupid to play to the press box, but I guess they are playing to the chancellor.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:46 pm

Hey Stnwaller, I'm a STH for decades. A longtime supporter of UMMB. UMASS home side was the West Stands from 1965 until 2011 - and for the entire career of the late great amazing George Parks (RIP) who built the UMMB into a National Powerhouse. Under Parks the UMMB became integral to the success of UMASS football and the UMass Football Gameday experience - Parks always had his UMMB rocking the halftime for the UMASS fans - sometimes it was the highlight of the game for the UMass fans.

2014 our last AD (McCutcheon) moved back to McGuirk and switches the Home side to the East stands for TV purposes. So we trusted the AD and buy ST on the UMASS side just as we always have so we can support the team and be near UMMB and presumably get to see the great halftime show. But I think in 2015 the UMMB suddenly starts playing with their backs to us. So the AD wants us to sit on the East Home Side and then the UMMB turns their backs on us. Totally moronic and really not good for the GameDay Experience and the bond between the Band and the Home fans.. I mean George Parks would have never tolerated the UMMB turning their backs on us. The UMMB should be playing to entertain the home side fans - not w/their backs to us. So Yes I will be commenting on that. And BTW a lot of people especially UMMB alums feel the same way that I do. So Lets Go UMASS and lets get this straightened out. :D

As JSF points out above - the UMMB should not just play for the Chancellor and the fatcats in the suites. If the UMMB is going to play to the East Stands then flip the Home side back to where it was for 46 + years.

Most Importantly - UMASS beat ukon and all the Whipple detractors can shut up for 1 week at least b/c Whipple totally outcoached Randy Edsall this afternoon in East Hartford. Big Win !!!
Last edited by Jack on Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:02 pm

So much fun reading the UCon message board! Makes the UMass ones look tame. Makes me hate them as much as the old days when there was a real rivalry.

https://the-boneyard.com/forums/uconn-football.2/

Stnwaller
Sophomore

Post by Stnwaller » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:28 pm

Jack My only point was I think the ad told the band what side to play to and I don’t think they will be changing back . There’s plenty of good seats available , come on back and I’ll buy you a beer 😊🍺Go UMASS

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:55 pm

And my point is that the UMMB should play to the UM Home Side fans regardless of what the AD says and the AD should reconsider his dumb decision if in fact it was his dumb decision for the UMMB to ignore the home side fans.

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:32 pm

So we beat our ancient rival to salvage something out of this miserable season, and we're still talking about which side the band plays to? OMG. :shock:

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:48 am

DrG wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:32 pm So we beat our ancient rival to salvage something out of this miserable season, and we're still talking about which side the band plays to? OMG. :shock:
Yes. Let's get our act together and start supporting our program. We have an opportunity to have our best season since 2011. How about actually having the band play to our fans ? Is that seriously too much to ask ????? :shock:

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:33 am

Good to win but anybody watching that games knows the final should have been closer to 45-17. Whip is terrible and I am actually pulling for losses the next two weeks just to make sure we move on from him.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:50 am

Berkman wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:35 am
Old Cage wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:22 am
Berkman wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:56 am Anyone know how to watch the game on ESPNU? I went to sign in and it asked for my provider and I put down SPECTRUM and got a message that I can't connect through SPECTRUM.
B - ESPNU is a cable channel on your tv. Probably part of a sports package that you did or did not buy.
Spectrum don't offer it here.
I guess they change offerings when you get away from the coast. :?
I was in Pawleys Island yesterday and watched the game on ESPNU. It was part of the sports package offered by SPECTRUM.

And, let me add, it was a little chilly for this time of year but... IT WAS A FANTASTIC AFTERNOON OF TELEVISION VIEWING :!:

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:51 am

Jack wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:55 pm And my point is that the UMMB should play to the UM Home Side fans regardless of what the AD says and the AD should reconsider his dumb decision if in fact it was his dumb decision for the UMMB to ignore the home side fans.
I know that this is getting painful, but....Each game there are many more people sitting on the press box side than on your "home side." Therefore, I humbly suggest, that in practice the band is currently playing to my real home side.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:07 am

stevemaz wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:33 am Good to win but anybody watching that games knows the final should have been closer to 45-17. Whip is terrible and I am actually pulling for losses the next two weeks just to make sure we move on from him.
I'm pulling for program changing wins over the next three weeks and seeing Whipple retire on a good note.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass