Head coaching options

Get ready for some MACtion
PreecherJenkins
Senior

Re: Head coaching options

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:22 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:42 pm
PreecherJenkins wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:35 pmJay Paterno coaching us would be the biggest mistake this university could make. not worth a call, not worth anything.

May I ask why? Serious question as I don't know much about him other than the last name, which may very well be your reason.
of course you may ask why, very nice of you to ask :)

couple reasons,

1. I do not think he is a very good football coach, he was the "passing game coordinator and QB coach at Penn State. I do not think of exciting offensive and excellent QB play when I think Penn State football during the era of Jay Paterno. He has not coached in what 6 seasons, does he still have relevant recruiting contacts, coaches who will work for him, a scheme that works in 2019?

2. There are many people, right or wrong, that when you bring up the name Paterno it brings up extreme point of view. UMass needs to have a "quiet" hire on the national stage. All the sudden you you get people who hear the name and emotions come up, then the globe is running a piece of the on the trainwreck that is UMass football and you are getting attention from places that right now they cannot afford to have.

I would rather have a coach come in, maybe who is a little bland like a David Cutliff, Paul Johnson, who simply put their nose to the ground and wins football games. This needs to be less about a cheerleader/salesman and more about a guy who can come in quietly and win football games quickly.

Its year what 9 of Big Boy football, you had the salesman coach who couldn't sell a heater to an Eskimo, the savior coach who could not adjust to the new game, go find someone who will win games and not worry about twitter and snapface...
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:49 am

PreecherJenkins wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:22 am

of course you may ask why, very nice of you to ask :)

Appreciate the insight and can't say I disagree with the point of view. Thanks!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:36 am

An email just received from Ryan:

Dear Gridiron Members,

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving season.

I've received some feedback and questions over the last week from many of you, the public, and the media regarding our search process to find the next leader for the UMass Football Program. I wanted to share my thought process with you regarding this very important search.

Prior to my arrival at UMass, the department often employed head coach search committees to assist in the head coach selection process. In my four years in Amherst, we have had a number of coaching searches that have followed this model which included broad participation from campus and community members. Specifically, our men's cross country, field hockey, women's soccer, women's tennis and baseball searches involved interview sessions and ultimately input from a number of constituent groups prior to making a hire. Conversely, when we conducted searches that yielded Greg Carvel (ice hockey), Tory Verdi (women's basketball) and Matt McCall (men's basketball) we limited the people associated with the search to maintain confidentiality and work efficiently through our recruiting efforts, interviews, candidate selection and contract negotiations in a quiet and effective manner.

Based on our success in those searches and some additional reasons listed below, I've chosen to conduct the search process on my own with a small group of people consulting me, all who shall remain anonymous. Ultimately, I will select the next leader for UMass Football and will ask our Chancellor to accept my recommendation when the process nears completion.

Please understand that I value the input I receive daily from people who care about UMass Athletics. I also see value in including people in our selection process for our next head coach but it is not always in the best interest of the process. At our level of Division I athletics, it is taxing to have a well-run confidential search that ensures the right hire and keeps all of our constituents happy. That said, I am pleased that in the last 10 days I have secured feedback from many of you regarding the attributes you desire in our next head coach. This feedback has been crucial as I form the profile for our next head coach. I can't thank those individuals enough for offering their insights and positive encouragement during this process.

I decided to run the basketball, hockey and now football searches with a small group for a number of reasons. First, the confidentiality of the search is vitally important, and the conversations that I have with potential coaches must remain private. For example, I would not have been able to secure Greg Carvel from St. Lawrence without a high-degree of confidentiality during that process. It was important to Greg that his name not become public, and he only had meetings with myself and Chancellor Subbaswamy during his offline visits to Amherst. As a sitting head coach, I wanted to protect him so that if we did not come to terms of employment at UMass, it did not jeopardize Greg at St. Lawrence.

In addition, I need to be extremely nimble during this search process. I've been on/off airplanes a great deal this last week, and will continue to do-so throughout this weekend and possibly in to next week. Because of this, it would be hard to mobilize a multi-person committee to fly across the country recruiting candidates and holding interviews on such short notice. Most of my time meeting with candidates will be outside Western Massachusetts. This is standard practice for a job with this profile and intensified timeline.

Also, with the increase in activity on social media and all the "unnamed" sources willing to share information, whether accurate or not, I felt it would be best taking the sole lead on this search, and not share any details until an agreement is finalized.

I can't give you a specific timeline at this point for when we'll make the hire, just know that I'm working as hard as I can to find the best leader for the UMass Football Program. I want to make all of you that have invested in this program proud of the man we bring to Amherst.

Thank you for your understanding during this pursuit. I look forward to introducing the next coach to you very soon!

Please feel free to share any additional thoughts or feedback with me directly at [email protected].

Thank you, and Go UMass!

Ryan Bamford
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:13 pm

/\

thanks for posting; it certainly provides a clear picture of the mechanics of the search and the process behind it.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:40 pm

Seems very reasonable. I take it he will not be relying very much on input from UMassHoops.com. :lol:

BUMPA
Sophomore

Post by BUMPA » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:48 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:46 pm
McKinney wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:20 pm
78 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:30 pm Looks like JMU's Mike Houston is taking the Charlotte job...
That really sucks.
Maybe he will pull a Kelsey..... 🤔😳🤒
That was a hot take.

chapter 11
Junior

Post by chapter 11 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:53 pm

or JMU to ECU.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:14 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:36 am An email just received from Ryan:

Just got that and it was the same in his email response on the new coach that I received. Have to give Bamford a lot of credit because he has built a lot of respect from the power players (there are those) within UMass community, from the Chancellor on down. Reading between the lines there are some big money people helping him out with the process. My wife worked for a large booster at a Big 12 school and the power he had with the athletic department totally amazed me. Donate millions to the school and you have the Chancellor/AD on speed dial.

Interesting that he has been on planes--Stats can you track his flights like they do at the big schools (does UMass have a private plane?) :lol:

This message board is read by people in the AD and the local media.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:31 pm

Always impressed with Bamford.

His approach means to me that he is not just looking at unemployed coaches, but currently employed, probably OC or DC looking up to be HC. Could be HC, but that often means payments if they leave their contracted employer early.

The general approach he is using is more and more common in Executive level recruiting for major Universities - small and private, mimicking the private sector.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:07 pm

chapter 11 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:53 pm or JMU to ECU.
Charlotte let it leak out. Dummies.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:56 am

I am confident we will get someone good and be bowl eligible next year.. It all takes off from there

National Champs 2034!

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:42 pm

Just as an FYI, Mike Houston no longer has an offer to coach at Charlotte because he wanted to consider other options:

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticCFB/stat ... 8377194497

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:47 pm

stevemaz wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:56 am I am confident we will get someone good and be bowl eligible next year..

C'mon man.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Can you stop it...

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:57 pm

e_parade wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:42 pm Just as an FYI, Mike Houston no longer has an offer to coach at Charlotte because he wanted to consider other options:

Good example of why Bamford’s strategy is far superior than running an open and more transparent search.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:18 pm

NilesGold wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:57 pm
e_parade wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:42 pm Just as an FYI, Mike Houston no longer has an offer to coach at Charlotte because he wanted to consider other options:

Good example of why Bamford’s strategy is far superior than running an open and more transparent search.
I believe it was this coach who spilled the beans on the search. I would be willing to put a Diet Coke this guy ends up at ECU, sounds like the family is from right around ECU.

Not sure how this makes our AD's strategy so good or bad, I mean he had a coach walk out at the alter and I've heard the reason why and its a doozy!!!
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC