Fire the OC

Get ready for some MACtion
MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Re: Fire the OC

Post by MJatUM » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:14 am

I don't read anything into those comments at all. What's he supposed to say that Whip sucks and he's gone at the end of the season?

As for Liam Coen. Hard pass. Not that I don't think he could be a good HC - I'm just not up for bringing in another guy that fans look upon fondly to tarnish that memory (a la DK & Whip). Whoever comes in after this season is going to be inheriting a certified dumpster fire. I would love nothing more than taking a shot on someone looking to get back into the college coaching and use UMass as 2 or 3 year stepping stone. Al Golden isn't a bad idea. I would love either Greg Schiano or Bo Pelini but I think both of those guys are going to be getting better jobs than UMass - maybe even in this same offseason.

A couple other random names I wouldn't mind giving a look to:
Gary Andersen - Was the DC and AC at Utah when they finished #2 in '08. Had a pretty good couple years at Wisconsin but left there for personal reasons to go to Oregon State, where he also left after last season to go back to Utah. Not sure what his deal is.
Bret Bielma - Not sure what he's up to these days. Also not sure how much I like him. Seems like a much better recruiter than actual game day coach - I don't love those guys. Big name though.
Mike Stoops - Brother of the great Bob (OU) and rising Mark (UK). Good bloodline with HC experience at Arizona. Has been the DC at Oklahoma since 2012 so not sure how "gettable" he is.

Also no idea how well any of these guys recruit, particularly in the northeast. Just kind of giving examples of the type of guy I'm looking at. This is hands down the most important hire Bamford will have had to make in his time here. The program needs a shot in the arm. I'm not sure it can survive getting one or two wins the next couple of years in a row. 2018 is already a wash. 2019 by default will more or less be a wash with a new coach. 2020 could make or break the entire program.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:38 am

photoman wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:13 am Disclaimer at the end of the article said this Bamford interview took place BEFORE the FIU game.
First, what else could he say? No AD is going to go on record saying "I'm going to fire the HC if we don't win next week". The fact that the interview was prior to the FIU debacle matters a little, not a lot. His tone would probably have been a bit less supportive but not totally negative.

While RB has never fired a coach in mid-season, I could see it happening if we continue to get blown out by lesser teams and he gets the sense that Whip has lost the respect of the team. That's a tough call.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:46 am

69MG wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:38 am
photoman wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:13 am Disclaimer at the end of the article said this Bamford interview took place BEFORE the FIU game.
First, what else could he say? No AD is going to go on record saying "I'm going to fire the HC if we don't win next week". The fact that the interview was prior to the FIU debacle matters a little, not a lot. His tone would probably have been a bit less supportive but not totally negative.

While RB has never fired a coach in mid-season, I could see it happening if we continue to get blown out by lesser teams and he gets the sense that Whip has lost the respect of the team. That's a tough call.
Agree he wouldn't say what's really on his mind.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:50 am

The only way Whip doesn't finish the season is if he loses the team. I suppose maybe he leaves before the bowl game to prepare for his new job at Michigan... oh wait never mind :twisted:.

Seriously though.... RB is not dropping him and my guess is he will let Whip make it to December 1st for the whole pension thing, if Whip is still the HC on December 5th however, many would be surprised by that...

Crank
Senior

Post by Crank » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:55 am

The most important/telling parts of the Bamford quotes are these:

" I tried to build this schedule in a way where we could go out and really figure out if we could acquit ourselves and get ourselves prepared to be a bowl eligible team”
"I think we’re going to have a level of success this year that we can point to and be proud of, I really do. I think there’s plenty of runway ahead of us. We’ve got talent on this roster"

What these say to me is that RB had/has expectations for success THIS season. He set up the schedule for success and believes the talent is on the roster for success to happen. I can't see any way Whipple survives a losing season and these statements sound like he'd be open to a mid-season change if he thinks the season could be salvaged (assuming the Admin would allow for a change of course).

Dickie Dunn
Junior

Post by Dickie Dunn » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:56 pm

A "winning" season most likely was based on a win at FIU. That loss changes the whole tone of the conversation, never mind how it developed.

Now you're likely looking at needing at least a win against Ohio, and taking care of business in the other four games that UMass "should" win (Charlotte, Coastal, UConn, Liberty). Of course, given UMass "should" have beaten FIU, none of those are gimmes either.

Lose any of those, and now you're looking at needing somehow to beat USF, BYU or Georgia (!).

That's how big of a loss FIU was in the grand scheme of things.
I wrote this ... it's gotta be true.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:14 pm

Given our performance to date, except for Duquesne, how do we get to 'should win'. It is quickly turning into 'must win', and we cannot afford to be complacent, especially on D end of things.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:03 pm

I was told that anything less than 6 wins and Whip is done.. makes sense with all the preseason bowl talk.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:33 am

TheInsider wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:03 pm I was told that anything less than 6 wins and Whip is done.. makes sense with all the preseason bowl talk.

This information is accurate as of August.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:22 pm

ESPN gives Whipple a 4% chance of being fired during or following this season. :lol: :shock:
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ness-index
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:57 pm

Anyone else think that bowl game or not Whip might be gone this year?

If they don't make a bowl game I think he'll be canned. If they do make a bowl game I think he might retire. Yes? No?
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:55 pm

If he gets 6 wins I think he’ll be back next season.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:22 am

McKinney wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:57 pm Anyone else think that bowl game or not Whip might be gone this year?

If they don't make a bowl game I think he'll be canned. If they do make a bowl game I think he might retire. Yes? No?
Bowl eligible (6 or more wins) and he is retained. Huge distinction between that and "bowl game" as we don't know if we'd even get a sniff at a bowl game since we are an independent.

Whether he walks on his own after winning 6 or more games is a whole different discussion.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:10 am

It has always been a "bowl eligible" or bust season for Whip in my (and I think many others) mind. Honestly, even with six I think I'm done. Time to cut the cord and move on. I've seen and heard enough bull crap these last several seasons that any "big" wins - even the impossible @ UGA - would just be pulling the wool over our eyes.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:29 pm

MJatUM wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:10 am It has always been a "bowl eligible" or bust season for Whip in my (and I think many others) mind. Honestly, even with six I think I'm done. Time to cut the cord and move on. I've seen and heard enough bull crap these last several seasons that any "big" wins - even the impossible @ UGA - would just be pulling the wool over our eyes.
That’s insane talk right there. If we can beat UGA there has been no wool pulled over anyone’s eyes. Now it won’t happen, but if it did wow.