Fire the OC

Get ready for some MACtion
McKinney
Senior

Re: Fire the OC

Post by McKinney » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:57 pm

^ Have to agree. Beating #2 UGA would be absolutely incredible. It might be among the greatest upsets of all time.

I'll even loosen the rope just a notch. If Whipple can find a way to get the first win against a ranked opponent, I'll eat crow. Last year against Mississippi State was certainly the closest they've come since 2010 against Michigan. Maybe they'll get lucky against USF or BYU.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:34 am

McKinney wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:57 pm ^ Have to agree. Beating #2 UGA would be absolutely incredible. It might be among the greatest upsets of all time.

I'll even loosen the rope just a notch. If Whipple can find a way to get the first win against a ranked opponent, I'll eat crow. Last year against Mississippi State was certainly the closest they've come since 2010 against Michigan. Maybe they'll get lucky against USF or BYU.

Hmm, Let's see?

Play 1 - run
Play 2 - run
Play 3 - throw

Wash, rinse, repeat.......

Nope... not happening :oops:

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:35 am

Heeeeeyyyyy

Hoooooooo

The OC's Got-Ta Go!

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:05 am

McKinney wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:57 pm ^ Have to agree. Beating #2 UGA would be absolutely incredible. It might be among the greatest upsets of all time.
It certainly would not be among the greatest upsets of all time. Several ranked teams have been beaten by FCS teams. If you want to put it in the tier below that, then I would agree. It does not belong in the same conversation as App State beating preseason national title contender Michigan in 2007. Even if they were coming off a FCS natty (can't remember who they beat :x ) the previous season.

Either way, I stand by my statement. Whip is what he is. One win where everything comes together does not change years of sloppiness, unpreparedness, poor play calling, ignoring special teams (until very recently) etc etc etc.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:35 am

^ I think one could make the argument that App State was better in 2007 than we are now. At least I wouldn't pass up on JMU/North Dakota State having a fighting chance (if not favored) against us today. If Georgia is still #2 in week 12 that's better than Michigan was at #5 in week 1. I'm not saying it'd be the greatest upset, but I would say it'd be among them. That's just my opinion. Agree to disagree. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's almost not worth debating as the chance of the upset is infinitesimal. Then again, I never thought I'd see the day Army would take #5 Oklahoma to overtime. :shock:
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:02 pm

You're probably right in terms of a talent stand point, but we select few are really the only ones that know that 8) .

You're definitely right in that the chances are infinitesimal.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:56 pm

Old Dominion taking it to Virginia Tech offers a ray of hope for any given Saturday for us. It also sends a wakeup call to every ranked team in the country.