2018 Season

Whip'ing the program back into shape.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: 2018 Season

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:03 am

I just hope to see continued improvement off of what we saw in the 2nd half of the 2017 season. Wins will come if that occurs, and if we finally catch a few breaks as the season goes on.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:15 am

MJatUM wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:00 am
Oh no here we go again.... I'll be happy if we sniff .500 (for the first time EVER in our FBS days) - bowl participation will be gravy. I would think if we're eligible we'd get in one of them.
I'm not going down that rabbit hole. Just pointing out IF we got a record that was bowl eligible, we are still looking in from the outside, due to our independence and the novelty of our membership in FBS. I really just want to see good football, and see them play the way we ended 2017 not the way we started it.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:29 am

minutefanjsf wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:15 am
MJatUM wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:00 am
Oh no here we go again.... I'll be happy if we sniff .500 (for the first time EVER in our FBS days) - bowl participation will be gravy. I would think if we're eligible we'd get in one of them.
I'm not going down that rabbit hole. Just pointing out IF we got a record that was bowl eligible, we are still looking in from the outside, due to our independence and the novelty of our membership in FBS. I really just want to see good football, and see them play the way we ended 2017 not the way we started it.
I would love to be forced to have to argue about this. Lets get to that spot first, then we can worry about being snubbed - OK?
In Matt McCall I trust!

McKinney
Junior

Post by McKinney » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:15 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:03 am
I just hope to see continued improvement off of what we saw in the 2nd half of the 2017 season. Wins will come if that occurs, and if we finally catch a few breaks as the season goes on.
I'd hate for what happened in 2015 (promising offseason following an 0-6 start and 3-3 finish in 2014) to happen again. NEED, NEED, NEED bowl eligibility this season.
Ryan McKinney - Class of 2019 - @mckinney2019

stevemaz
Junior

Post by stevemaz » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:53 pm

what the hell

Duq W
at BC L
at Ga Sthrn W
at FIU W.. they got lucky this year
Charlotte W
at Ohio L
S Fla L but close
CC W
at UCONN W 77-7
Liberty W
BYU L
GA L

7-5 but I'm not guaranteeing a bowl game

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:09 pm

stevemaz wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:53 pm
what the hell

Duq W
at BC L
at Ga Sthrn W
at FIU W.. they got lucky this year
Charlotte W
at Ohio L
S Fla L but close
CC W
at UCONN W 77-7
Liberty W
BYU L
GA L

7-5 but I'm not guaranteeing a bowl game
I agree with 7-5, but think we win at BC and lose to GS. And no bowl, I agree.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:08 am

7-5 we get a bowl, 6-6 is questionable.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:25 am

Steve81 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:34 pm
Notice a few things.

Parking for season ticket holders, the complimentary lot is now 22 or south loop (your preference) instead of 11. Lot 11 will now cost an additional donation to the minuteman club, same as premium parking $50. Additional season parking passes for lot 22 or south loop is $25.

Personally have no problem with paying $350 for two season tickets with a parking upgrade and $25 each Putnam Suite upgrade for the BYU game.
The additional $500 donation to qualify for the Hunt Hospitality Suite is something that is understandable and in line with the Court Club.
Snail mail letters were sent out earlier this week to folks that didn’t immediately respond to the email.

The only element that was really surprising to me in the renewal was parking. I can understand the increase in the parking fee for “premium” spaces. Going from $0 to $25 to $50 (to whatever) over a multi year span is easier for the average fan to swallow than going from $0 to a high fee in one year. What’s perplexing is roping in the yellow lot as premium parking. The parking lot was half-full for most games last season. I don’t understand why the school decided to charge for that lot. Makes little sense to alienate the handful of fans who buy season tickets, especially some of our more “seasoned” supporters who may not be able to walk from green lot.

I wonder if the school will reconsider student tailgating next to the stadium. I knew that in past years most students left the tailgate before the start of the game. It was always on the periphery of the tailgate scene and not largely noticeable to the other fans tailgating closer to the stadium. This year with the move to yellow lot, not only was it noticeable, but it was embarrassing to witness. The reading of the police dispersal order and the consequental march of the drunken student brigade was obvious last season where it wasn’t in years past. In addition, they occasionally interfered with tailgates of season ticket holders (we had one student walk through our tailgate, rip open our garbage bag, and trash our tailgate area, forcing us to clean up after him). Clearly most of the students are NOT going to games. Why punish the other paying fans with their antics? Let’s move their tailgate back closer to Southwest so that their march doesn’t interfere with the other fans, especially if UMass is asking fans to pay extra money to park in yellow lot next to their tailgate and witness their behavior firsthand.

Frankly, I still disagree with the school’s policy of charging walkups for parking and gouging walkups on ticket prices. It’s meant to encourage advance purchases and artificially increase the value of a season ticket. The folks from Aspire don’t understand our local fan base. Besides a few die hards, the local fan base is very fickle and bandwagonish. Policies like this might work at big boy football schools but alienate what few locals care to see the Minutemen.

rsox1221
Senior

Post by rsox1221 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:52 pm

UMass02 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:25 am
Steve81 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:34 pm
Notice a few things.

Parking for season ticket holders, the complimentary lot is now 22 or south loop (your preference) instead of 11. Lot 11 will now cost an additional donation to the minuteman club, same as premium parking $50. Additional season parking passes for lot 22 or south loop is $25.

Personally have no problem with paying $350 for two season tickets with a parking upgrade and $25 each Putnam Suite upgrade for the BYU game.
The additional $500 donation to qualify for the Hunt Hospitality Suite is something that is understandable and in line with the Court Club.
Snail mail letters were sent out earlier this week to folks that didn’t immediately respond to the email.

The only element that was really surprising to me in the renewal was parking. I can understand the increase in the parking fee for “premium” spaces. Going from $0 to $25 to $50 (to whatever) over a multi year span is easier for the average fan to swallow than going from $0 to a high fee in one year. What’s perplexing is roping in the yellow lot as premium parking. The parking lot was half-full for most games last season. I don’t understand why the school decided to charge for that lot. Makes little sense to alienate the handful of fans who buy season tickets, especially some of our more “seasoned” supporters who may not be able to walk from green lot.

I wonder if the school will reconsider student tailgating next to the stadium. I knew that in past years most students left the tailgate before the start of the game. It was always on the periphery of the tailgate scene and not largely noticeable to the other fans tailgating closer to the stadium. This year with the move to yellow lot, not only was it noticeable, but it was embarrassing to witness. The reading of the police dispersal order and the consequental march of the drunken student brigade was obvious last season where it wasn’t in years past. In addition, they occasionally interfered with tailgates of season ticket holders (we had one student walk through our tailgate, rip open our garbage bag, and trash our tailgate area, forcing us to clean up after him). Clearly most of the students are NOT going to games. Why punish the other paying fans with their antics? Let’s move their tailgate back closer to Southwest so that their march doesn’t interfere with the other fans, especially if UMass is asking fans to pay extra money to park in yellow lot next to their tailgate and witness their behavior firsthand.

Frankly, I still disagree with the school’s policy of charging walkups for parking and gouging walkups on ticket prices. It’s meant to encourage advance purchases and artificially increase the value of a season ticket. The folks from Aspire don’t understand our local fan base. Besides a few die hards, the local fan base is very fickle and bandwagonish. Policies like this might work at big boy football schools but alienate what few locals care to see the Minutemen.
--Making Lot 11 into a premium spot isn't all that surprising. To me I was surprised it took this long. They are arguably the best spaces to have, and those usually incur a premium to own.

The school is actively looking at both Lot 11 and the grass parking and trying to streamline the process for people. There were a lot of folks who purchased greenspace parking last year that did not utilize it at all. There really isn't a reason to have a grass spot if you don't plan on tailgating with it. So they are reviewing all their accounts to see who may have had a grass spot that didn't use it and are trying to gently convince those folks to get their spot in Lot 11 instead. I'm sure there are people who bought those spots specifically so that they could give an extra $50 to the school in donation as an additional form of support. This way, they can do the same thing but park in Lot 11 instead, which works better for those folks who don't plan on getting to the game early.

By doing that you'll end up getting more people in Lot 11, eliminating the "half full" problem that many people made mention of over the past year. You'll also ideally get only people that want to use all four hours of tailgating time on the grass, which would condense those STHs and create a much better atmosphere there.

--Charging extra for day-of-game walk-ups is par for the course everywhere. Everywhere. UMass can't afford to NOT do that; it's an extra source of revenue and it keeps up with the Joneses. That's the way it is.

--The students in Lot 11 is a two-fold situation. One, it gets them physically closer to the game so that when their tailgate is over, there is an increased chance they'll actually get them through the gates. If they get them inside the stadium, even for a second, they count in attendance figures, and of course the idea is that they might actually like what they see and come back.

Primarily however their new location is part of a directive from the school administration and the UMPD to control them. Unfortunately at UMass the athletic department isn't the group deciding primarily how their game days are run, which is not the case at most other schools, particularly the "big boy" football schools. The school and the PD want to limit student drinking, so they put the kids in a "controlled" environment and then shut them down before the game even starts. I'm not sure if anything will be able to change that situation, which is really unfortunate.

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:25 pm

It was clear to me that Lot 11 was only sold to be half full. There was a built in buffer zone between the STH and the students. SJG$ and others asked directly and were told this wasn’t the case. The entire middle section of lot 11 was empty. About 6 rows of parking. They have gone back and forth with charging for yellow lot over the 19 seasons I’ve had tickets. The only thing that got me was the idea that you could donate $50 and possibly not get a spot in yellow lot. I’ve been reassured that I should be good with keeping my spots in lot 11 by the athletic department, but i can’t imagine the response by people who will donate and still not get a spot. I get that other schools charge big bucks for prime tailgating spots, but to charge and then have the possibility of being relegated to the lot where complimentary parking is would piss me off. They worded it wrong and could make it better by providing more spaces that hopefully will allow anyone who pays a spot in the lot s/he wants. Or at least take a section of lot 22 closest to the stadium and reserve it for people who donate. Give them different passes.

McKinney
Junior

Post by McKinney » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:53 pm

rsox1221 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:52 pm
Primarily however their new location is part of a directive from the school administration and the UMPD to control them. Unfortunately at UMass the athletic department isn't the group deciding primarily how their game days are run, which is not the case at most other schools, particularly the "big boy" football schools. The school and the PD want to limit student drinking, so they put the kids in a "controlled" environment and then shut them down before the game even starts. I'm not sure if anything will be able to change that situation, which is really unfortunate.
Why not allow them to tailgate until the end of the first quarter or the first time UMass puts points on the board, whichever comes first. By doing this you'd eliminate those actually going to the game from having to see the Mass Exodus :wink: and in the case where UMass puts up points it's a signal that the game is competitive and/or UMass is winning, which might drive a higher percentage of students through the gates.

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:07 pm

McKinney wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:53 pm
rsox1221 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:52 pm
Why not allow them to tailgate until the end of the first quarter or the first time UMass puts points on the board, whichever comes first. By doing this you'd eliminate those actually going to the game from having to see the Mass Exodus :wink: and in the case where UMass puts up points it's a signal that the game is competitive and/or UMass is winning, which might drive a higher percentage of students through the gates.
You make too much sense. Send that idea to AD. I like the first score idea with maximum of one quarter. Only down side is the idiots who will root against the Minutemen, so they can stay longer. So, maybe half a quarter? No matter what the score is? I think students should be in the stadium tailgating on the west side of the stadium behind the press box. Right now students have to stop about fifteen minutes before kick off right? Do you think if the team was winning students would come in?

Steve81
Senior

Post by Steve81 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:16 pm

To be fair regarding the green spaces, it was new last year. Purchased one for a friend because they said Lot 11 was sold out and the green spaces where the closest to Lot 11. But that friend took a hobby job up in Maine as a train conductor and can only go to late season games (Last year was Fenway and this year Gillette). A Georgia Southern message board guy did use the space for his game. My preference would be the green space lots but will have to see. Could end up in lot 11 depending what everyone else does. We do tailgating the allotted time. :D

McKinney
Junior

Post by McKinney » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:07 pm

minutefanjsf wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:07 pm
You make too much sense. Send that idea to AD. I like the first score idea with maximum of one quarter. Only down side is the idiots who will root against the Minutemen, so they can stay longer. So, maybe half a quarter? No matter what the score is? I think students should be in the stadium tailgating on the west side of the stadium behind the press box. Right now students have to stop about fifteen minutes before kick off right? Do you think if the team was winning students would come in?
You're always going to have idiots. There's nothing you can do about that except create a winning culture such that attending the game is preferred over an extended tailgate. But yes you're right, the tailgate is shut down before kick off. I do believe more students would come in if the team was winning. Largely we're no different than our fanbase in that regard. People want to see wins, not just being "competitive". That should be evident as we were in every game this year (save for maybe FIU) and yet we barely had an average of over 10,000 and our highest attended games (Maine and Hawaii) occured where it would have been logistically most difficult for students to attend.

I estimate that there are 3,445 student seats at McGuirk (excluding the band). If UMass consistently wins I don't think it's unreasonable to assume ~11% of students would show up.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:29 pm

Season tickets renewed! Can't wait for the fall to get here.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades