2018 Season

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
minutefanjsf
Senior

Re: 2018 Season

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:39 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:29 pm
MJatUM wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:27 pm Maybe it has to do with a buyout clause. There's a bazillion different reasons it could be getting held up - little to none are we entitled to.
Well, technically, we are entitled to it because this is a state school. But that's not really at all why I am asking about this.

With that said, contract extensions are typically quick and easy. It's still baffling that we're almost 4 months from when they said they would give him an extension to this point of still not having an extension in place. I'm sure this is not lost on recruits as well.
My guess is recruits were informed and it will only matter if what comes out is different than what they were sold/told. I think the are some unique aspects that probably slowed it down, but will blame UMass and Massachusetts bureaucracy for the slow down. My guess is Christmas also played a role, too. But, we should know already, I agree.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:29 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:29 pm
Well, technically, we are entitled to it because this is a state school. But that's not really at all why I am asking about this.

With that said, contract extensions are typically quick and easy. It's still baffling that we're almost 4 months from when they said they would give him an extension to this point of still not having an extension in place. I'm sure this is not lost on recruits as well.
Technically, citizens are NOT entitled to public contract negotiation information in Massachusetts. Releasing sensitive information about an ongoing negotiation is illegal (Mass General Laws Chapter 150E) and could be detrimental to one or both parties. There’s a reason why state and local CBA negotiations are private and discussed only in executive session of public bodies (MGL 30A). Obviously the result of the negotiations (the contracts) are public. Notice how vague Bamford kept his statement. He did that for a reason.

I do agree with your sentiment, though. This should have been settled a while ago. I wonder what’s up. I really do hope it’s just minor details at this point. I don’t want UMass to pull a “McCutcheon” and find a new coach in the early summertime like they did with hockey.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:31 pm

I have no idea if this has anything to do with the contract negotiations, but in my opinion the jury is still out on Whipple. On the one hand, we passed some nice milestones, but we also blew a lot of opportunities, including an 0-6 start and a bad loss to Coastal Carolina, which falls on the coach. Does Bamford really want to commit to a big contract extension without seeing how next year goes?

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:06 am

UMass02 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:29 pm

Technically, citizens are NOT entitled to public contract negotiation information in Massachusetts. Releasing sensitive information about an ongoing negotiation is illegal (Mass General Laws Chapter 150E) and could be detrimental to one or both parties. There’s a reason why state and local CBA negotiations are private and discussed only in executive session of public bodies (MGL 30A). Obviously the result of the negotiations (the contracts) are public. Notice how vague Bamford kept his statement. He did that for a reason.

I do agree with your sentiment, though. This should have been settled a while ago. I wonder what’s up. I really do hope it’s just minor details at this point. I don’t want UMass to pull a “McCutcheon” and find a new coach in the early summertime like they did with hockey.

I don't want to know anything about the negotiations... that isn't at all what I meant by my statement. I'm aware of the laws here regarding such. We're dealing with that with the police chief in town right now. We're entitled to the details once it is done and there is no reason this should have taken 4 fucking months... that's the point. And Bamford could have easily said "we are still negotiating" multiple times without breaking the law or putting either party at a disadvantage.

The concern I have is what DEM points to... there jury was still out. Something just feels wrong.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:02 am

Well, Coach Whipple is scheduled to attend a UMass Athletics Night at the UMass Club on April 25 along with Bamford and Coaches McCall, McMahon and Weinberg, so I take that as a positive sign that nothing is amiss.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:17 am

^

He is still under contract, so I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be there.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

JBUMass2011
Sophomore

Post by JBUMass2011 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 pm

I’m with IV and DEM on this one. The jury is def still out and something just doesn’t feel right about all this.

Is it a tough job with a crap stadium and prob not the easiest to recruit? Yea. Does not being in an area with rich football talent and playing an Indy schedule make it tough? Yeah sure. But you can’t play with every SEC team you play and suck ass Vs Coastal and ODU. You can’t beat BYU on the road blow winnable games for years. You can’t lose games for 4 years cause your kicker sucks.

I want him to be very successful and program to be awesome but if it wasn’t for Pinkham and improvements made once he came on, I wouldn’t have 1 ounce of confidence in this team. Most of that is because I don’t trust whipple and don’t think he’s very good. The offense is loaded with talent and it’s time to win. I don’t think he should be back but I get why he was. Can’t risk the growth we took and losing players. He really needs to win this year. 6 wins = must

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:06 pm

JBUMass2011 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 pm I’m with IV and DEM on this one. The jury is def still out and something just doesn’t feel right about all this.

Is it a tough job with a crap stadium and prob not the easiest to recruit? Yea. Does not being in an area with rich football talent and playing an Indy schedule make it tough? Yeah sure. But you can’t play with every SEC team you play and suck ass Vs Coastal and ODU. You can’t beat BYU on the road blow winnable games for years. You can’t lose games for 4 years cause your kicker sucks.

I want him to be very successful and program to be awesome but if it wasn’t for Pinkham and improvements made once he came on, I wouldn’t have 1 ounce of confidence in this team. Most of that is because I don’t trust whipple and don’t think he’s very good. The offense is loaded with talent and it’s time to win. I don’t think he should be back but I get why he was. Can’t risk the growth we took and losing players. He really needs to win this year. 6 wins = must
Maybe Pinkhams role is part of the negotiation. Maybe he is more than a D coordinator. I would love to know. Hopefully we will know the contract soon.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:26 am

JBUMass2011 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 pm

Congratulations for the single most idiotic and ignorant post in quite some time. Well done !!

JBUMass2011
Sophomore

Post by JBUMass2011 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:32 am

Defend Whipple then Jack. Sorry I want him to be good but unfortunately he hasn’t been.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:27 am

Jack wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:26 am
JBUMass2011 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 pm

Congratulations for the single most idiotic and ignorant post in quite some time. Well done !!
The torch has been passed! Thanks for taking it JB

JBUMass2011
Sophomore

Post by JBUMass2011 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:37 am

Anytime MJatUM lol that’s what I’m here for. Apparently Pinkham did nothing and whipple has done great game in and game out. I should have full faith we can beat Coastal this year and for that I’m sorry

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:04 pm

JBUMass2011 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:37 am Anytime MJatUM lol that’s what I’m here for. Apparently Pinkham did nothing and whipple has done great game in and game out. I should have full faith we can beat Coastal this year and for that I’m sorry
¿dOn'T u KnO hE w0n Us tHe NaTiOnAl cHaMpîoñShIp tWeNtY yEaRs aGo? :lol:
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:14 pm

McKinney wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:04 pm
JBUMass2011 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:37 am Anytime MJatUM lol that’s what I’m here for. Apparently Pinkham did nothing and whipple has done great game in and game out. I should have full faith we can beat Coastal this year and for that I’m sorry
¿dOn'T u KnO hE w0n Us tHe NaTiOnAl cHaMpîoñShIp tWeNtY yEaRs aGo? :lol:
Fancy font work there! :mrgreen: :?

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:30 am

That's like 3 Spongebob memes ago McKinney!