Game # 11: BYU

Get ready for some MACtion
Jack
Senior

Re: Game # 11: BYU

Post by Jack » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:49 am

^ Okay got it. You want to trash the coaches about the ball being snapped on a punt when time on the clock was not an issue and you want to trash the coaches b/c one of our DBs intercepted a ball in the end zone. I don't understand why you would even go there. First of all the coaches do not decide when the long snapper hikes the ball - that is an on field decision so if you have a problem with it you should blame the players not the coaches. Personally I don't think it matters that much and you need to get over it. Secondly, blaming the coaches for a kid intercepting the ball in the end zone is really odd. Coach Costello coaches the DBs if you want to attack Coach Costello because a kid made a key play by picking off the ball to help seal the victory - OK - but its a really odd criticism. Lastly, I wasn't blaming anybody for Tyler Hayes for running out of bounds - I just thought he could have squeezed a few more yards out of the interception return.

Overall I just do not understand whatever your point is here in focussing on what you perceive to be coaching mistakes that are not coaching mistakes. This team makes mistakes - they are college kids and they have been working hard all season to improve and play better football - I don't see the point in criticizing the players or the coaches for an interception and not waiting a bit longer to snap the ball on a punt or two.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:20 am

Jack wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:49 am ^ Okay got it. You want to trash the coaches about the ball being snapped on a punt when time on the clock was not an issue and you want to trash the coaches b/c one of our DBs intercepted a ball in the end zone. I don't understand why you would even go there. First of all the coaches do not decide when the long snapper hikes the ball - that is an on field decision so if you have a problem with it you should blame the players not the coaches. Personally I don't think it matters that much and you need to get over it. Secondly, blaming the coaches for a kid intercepting the ball in the end zone is really odd. Coach Costello coaches the DBs if you want to attack Coach Costello because a kid made a key play by picking off the ball to help seal the victory - OK - but its a really odd criticism. Lastly, I wasn't blaming anybody for Tyler Hayes for running out of bounds - I just thought he could have squeezed a few more yards out of the interception return.

Overall I just do not understand whatever your point is here in focussing on what you perceive to be coaching mistakes that are not coaching mistakes. This team makes mistakes - they are college kids and they have been working hard all season to improve and play better football - I don't see the point in criticizing the players or the coaches for an interception and not waiting a bit longer to snap the ball on a punt or two.

So, all errors and mistakes are on the players? Got it. The coaches have nothing to do with on field performance unless it is a successful play? The coaches have nothing to do with game management either, or teaching the players how to manage the clock or field position. You also do not know how to read passed your nose. You can't see that you criticized the same interception for a reason that makes no sense, at all. I also, admitted that heat of the moment Hayes intercepting the ball was fine. You realize it was fourth down, right? Ideally he would either knock it down or kneel down in the endzone after the interception. And, time on the clock was obviously an issue as we were in our kill the clock mode for the entire fourth quarter, except on special teams. The last punt was after a timeout, so running the play clock down there didn't matter. The two previous punts in the fourth quarter could have taken more than half a minute of the clock, which seemed like the team goal, based on play calling. Yes they are college kids and they mistakes and I am not trashing them or the coaches for the mistakes. I have pointed out things I see as errors, and put that on coaching instead of the kids. Much less so the interception as I have pointed out. It was a great play, in the heat of the moment. I'd bet that during film study coach Costello will talk with the DBs about this play both for going out of bounds and also the idea of knocking it down. See not bashing the coaching.

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:59 am

Jack wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:49 am First of all the coaches do not decide when the long snapper hikes the ball - that is an on field decision so if you have a problem with it you should blame the players not the coaches. Personally I don't think it matters that much and you need to get over it. Secondly, blaming the coaches for a kid intercepting the ball in the end zone is
Yes they do. They tell the players "Don't hike the ball until there's less than 5 seconds on the play clock" and then that's what happens. When you're in the lead and it's less than a single score difference you coach your players to use up as much clock as possible. BYU was definitely getting the ball back and a single drive could finish it, so every last second of runoff counts.

Is it the biggest thing? No. But it's definitely a thing that people can rightly complain about.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:12 am

If we start next season, the way we're finishing this one. I'm very excited for it. That's the thing, our football team looks sluggish and are usually off to a slow start. Whipple has to pick up on McCall's offseason program.

Puffton395
Sophomore

Post by Puffton395 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:28 am

We beat BYU. In Provo. In Football. Get over the minor mistakes and issues that happened within a huge WIN.

In the Mississippi State game, MS was up 7 in the 4th quarter and really could have run down our throats as they showed in the 3rd quarter, but on a 2nd and 1 Dan Mullen called a WR pass. We picked it off, which gave us life late in the 4th quarter. That was a stupid, horrible call made by, one would assume, a top of the line coaching staff.

Bad coaching/plays happen all over the country.
UMass '10 but I run with the '06 class

JD14
Freshman

Post by JD14 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:08 pm

Whipple got a shoutout today in Pat Forde's weekly column: https://sports.yahoo.com/last-bill-snyd ... 31774.html

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:30 pm

e_parade wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:59 am Yes they do. They tell the players "Don't hike the ball until there's less than 5 seconds on the play clock" and then that's what happens. When you're in the lead and it's less than a single score difference you coach your players to use up as much clock as possible. BYU was definitely getting the ball back and a single drive could finish it, so every last second of runoff counts.

Is it the biggest thing? No. But it's definitely a thing that people can rightly complain about.
People who complain about not running down the clock on the last punt are simply wrong to do so.... W/all respect - you are not entitled to just make up your own facts. First of all you have no idea what the coaches told Nick Berus when he should snap the ball to Laurent - so please stop pretending that you know what the coaches instructions were. Secondly BYU called a time out before the last UMass punt of the game - so the clock was stopped and it didn't start until Berus snapped the ball to Laurent. Third the score was 16-3 at that point and a single drive would not have finished anything b/c BYU needed a quick TD - and in fact BYU went on a drive and scored a TD. Fourth the most important thing on that play was making a good snap and getting a deep punt w/o a return - UMass did all of those things - so instead of bitching about nothing - how about recognizing all the things that went well on that play and helped UMass to victory over the Cougars?? I mean seriously why do you feel the need to make up facts and complain about a punt play that was perfectly executed??

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:51 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:20 am So, all errors and mistakes are on the players? Got it. The coaches have nothing to do with on field performance unless it is a successful play? The coaches have nothing to do with game management either, or teaching the players how to manage the clock or field position.
No you don't got it. You apparently have no idea what you are talking about and you are more interested in trashing the coaches on the team then you are with paying attention to what is actually going on in the game or to what people are stating. I never stated that all mistakes are on the players. So stop pretending otherwise. If you knew something about football you would definitely know that players definitely make mistakes and so do coaches.

minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:20 amYou also do not know how to read passed your nose. You can't see that you criticized the same interception for a reason that makes no sense, at all.
Wrong. I did not criticize the interception. I stated that I wished Hayes had not run out of bounds after he intercepted the ball and advanced it to the 23 yd line. The interception was great.

minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:20 amYou realize it was fourth down, right? Ideally he would either knock it down or kneel down in the endzone after the interception.
Yes we all know what down it was. Ideally Hayes would have returned the interception for a pick six. Knocking it down would have been okay - Intercepting the ball was not a player mistake nor was it a coaching mistake. It was a nice play. Returning the ball to the 23 and running out of bounds was okay but I would have liked to have seen Hayes stay in bounds there - however it wasn't necessarily a mistake to run out of bounds.
minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:20 amThe two previous punts in the fourth quarter could have taken more than half a minute of the clock, which seemed like the team goal, based on play calling.
On a punt play the most important thing is not running a little bit of clock - it is executing a good snap and a good punt. complaining about Nick Berus not running the play clock down before he snapped it seems incredibly picayune.
minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:20 amYes they are college kids and they mistakes and I am not trashing them or the coaches for the mistakes.
I disagree i read your comments as being lame quibbling attacks on the coaches. in particular Coach Costello and Coach Michaels.
minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:20 amI have pointed out things I see as errors, and put that on coaching instead of the kids.
Yes you certainly have and I find your criticisms to be ridiculous. So I am pointing that out to you.
minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:20 amMuch less so the interception as I have pointed out. It was a great play, in the heat of the moment. I'd bet that during film study coach Costello will talk with the DBs about this play both for going out of bounds and also the idea of knocking it down. See not bashing the coaching.
Coach Costello may well do that - an opportunity to discuss situational awareness and ball security. But that doesn't mean the interception and run out to the 23 was a coaching mistake. Players make plays. Hayes made a great play and he could have taken the knee but he didn't and he made a great play. I just found your critique to be a bit over the top in light of the big picture here which is that this was the best UMass victory since moving up to FBS.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:04 pm

Hey didn't UMASS win the game.....against a major opponent.....a big BCS win...after so many losses. We all should be dancing in the streets. Forget about how it happened...UMASS won! YAHOO!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:13 pm

Jack wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:30 pm
e_parade wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:59 am Yes they do. They tell the players "Don't hike the ball until there's less than 5 seconds on the play clock" and then that's what happens. When you're in the lead and it's less than a single score difference you coach your players to use up as much clock as possible. BYU was definitely getting the ball back and a single drive could finish it, so every last second of runoff counts.

People who complain about not running down the clock on the last punt are simply wrong to do so.... W/all respect - you are not entitled to just make up your own facts. First of all you have no idea what the coaches told Nick Berus when he should snap the ball to Laurent - so please stop pretending that you know what the coaches instructions were. Secondly BYU called a time out before the last UMass punt of the game - so the clock was stopped and it didn't start until Berus snapped the ball to Laurent. Third the score was 16-3 at that point and a single drive would not have finished anything b/c BYU needed a quick TD - and in fact BYU went on a drive and scored a TD. Fourth the most important thing on that play was making a good snap and getting a deep punt w/o a return - UMass did all of those things - so instead of bitching about nothing - how about recognizing all the things that went well on that play and helped UMass to victory over the Cougars?? I mean seriously why do you feel the need to make up facts and complain about a punt play that was perfectly executed??
Please learn to read. I was not talking about the last punt. I have written that three fucking times. You have serious reading comprehension issues. I was referring to the two punts earlier in the quarter. One of which was poorly executed as it netted -1 yard.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:13 pmWhen you're in the lead and it's less than a single score difference you coach your players to use up as much clock as possible. BYU was definitely getting the ball back and a single drive could finish it, so every last second of runoff counts.
minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:13 pm Please learn to read. I was not talking about the last punt. I have written that three fucking times. You have serious reading comprehension issues. I was referring to the two punts earlier in the quarter. One of which was poorly executed as it netted -1 yard.
You're wrong. UMass led 16-3 in the 4th quarter during both of the earlier punts which were at 11:55 and 8:31. So neither of those situations involved "less than a single score difference" as you have claimed. Unless there is a 13 point play in college football that I am not aware of. So before you pretend to get on your high horse and falsely accuse anybody else of having a reading comprehension problem you should probably consider checking yourself. I am trying to be polite and respectful of you. But you are simply wrong. Happy Thanksgiving.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:54 pm

Jack wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:13 pmWhen you're in the lead and it's less than a single score difference you coach your players to use up as much clock as possible. BYU was definitely getting the ball back and a single drive could finish it, so every last second of runoff counts.
minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:13 pm Please learn to read. I was not talking about the last punt. I have written that three fucking times. You have serious reading comprehension issues. I was referring to the two punts earlier in the quarter. One of which was poorly executed as it netted -1 yard.
You're wrong. UMass led 16-3 in the 4th quarter during both of the earlier punts which were at 11:55 and 8:31. So neither of those situations involved "less than a single score difference" as you have claimed. Unless there is a 13 point play in college football that I am not aware of. So before you pretend to get on your high horse and falsely accuse anybody else of having a reading comprehension problem you should probably consider checking yourself. I am trying to be polite and respectful of you. But you are simply wrong. Happy Thanksgiving.
You're anything but respectful. You're also good at taking quotes from multiple posts out of context to create your own story. But happy thanksgiving to you to.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:00 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:54 pm
Jack wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 pm
You're anything but respectful. You're also good at taking quotes from multiple posts out of context to create your own story. But happy thanksgiving to you to.
You'll notice I didn't author the quote about the single drive, etc. that you attributed to me.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:04 pm

Jack wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:30 pm

You see Jack this is where you quoted e-parade who made the quote, that yes, you then attributed to me, thus showing your reading comprehension issue.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:12 pm

KahunaK wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:04 pm Hey didn't UMASS win the game.....against a major opponent.....a big BCS win...after so many losses. We all should be dancing in the streets. Forget about how it happened...UMASS won! YAHOO!
That's how I started on this thread, then I made a comment that obviously struck a nerve with a douchebag. I am sorry the thread degenerated. There were others who criticized Whipple, etc. I guess the nerve I struck with one dude was part of his central nervous system, because he lost it. This was a great win. Loved it all the way. Hope they learn from it, to get better, and also get to cherish it for the extra week due to the bye.