Game # 11: BYU

Whip'ing the program back into shape.
Jack
Senior
Posts: 1035
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Game # 11: BYU

Post by Jack » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:07 am

minutefanjsf wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:12 pm
KahunaK wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:04 pm
Hey didn't UMASS win the game.....against a major opponent.....a big BCS win...after so many losses. We all should be dancing in the streets. Forget about how it happened...UMASS won! YAHOO!
That's how I started on this thread, then I made a comment that obviously struck a nerve with a douchebag. I am sorry the thread degenerated. There were others who criticized Whipple, etc. I guess the nerve I struck with one dude was part of his central nervous system, because he lost it. This was a great win. Loved it all the way. Hope they learn from it, to get better, and also get to cherish it for the extra week due to the bye.

The thread did not degenerate at all - we were discussing the football game on the football game thread. For some reason you have decided to complain about coaching "mistakes" and I disagreed with your opinion and I stated the reasons why I disagreed. Rather than having a civil discussion you have now pathetically decided to start calling people names like "douchebag" what are you like 12 yrs old? Insulting people on a message board.... you must be a real tough hombre. Feel free to send me a PM tough guy.

Jack
Senior
Posts: 1035
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Game # 11: BYU

Post by Jack » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:10 am

minutefanjsf wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:13 pm
Please learn to read. I was not talking about the last punt. I have written that three fucking times. You have serious reading comprehension issues. I was referring to the two punts earlier in the quarter. One of which was poorly executed as it netted -1 yard.
Please learn to read Mr. potty mouth - I was not responding to you. Maybe instead of personally attacking people from behind your keyboard you might want to limit yourself to just talking about football and not taking everything so damned personally. In other words try being nicer and just talking about the game. If you think there were coaching mistakes or execution mistakes - Great - lets talk about them. On the other hand if you want to personally attack me - send me a PM and I will give you a chance to do so up close and personal.

User avatar
e_parade
Sophomore
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:15 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Game # 11: BYU

Post by e_parade » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:04 am

Jack wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:30 pm
e_parade wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:59 am
Yes they do. They tell the players "Don't hike the ball until there's less than 5 seconds on the play clock" and then that's what happens. When you're in the lead and it's less than a single score difference you coach your players to use up as much clock as possible. BYU was definitely getting the ball back and a single drive could finish it, so every last second of runoff counts.

Is it the biggest thing? No. But it's definitely a thing that people can rightly complain about.
People who complain about not running down the clock on the last punt are simply wrong to do so.... W/all respect - you are not entitled to just make up your own facts. First of all you have no idea what the coaches told Nick Berus when he should snap the ball to Laurent - so please stop pretending that you know what the coaches instructions were. Secondly BYU called a time out before the last UMass punt of the game - so the clock was stopped and it didn't start until Berus snapped the ball to Laurent. Third the score was 16-3 at that point and a single drive would not have finished anything b/c BYU needed a quick TD - and in fact BYU went on a drive and scored a TD. Fourth the most important thing on that play was making a good snap and getting a deep punt w/o a return - UMass did all of those things - so instead of bitching about nothing - how about recognizing all the things that went well on that play and helped UMass to victory over the Cougars?? I mean seriously why do you feel the need to make up facts and complain about a punt play that was perfectly executed??
I would like to point out that I said literally none of what you just got on my case for. All I did was point out that you were entirely incorrect in your assumption that coaches can't tell players when to snap the ball. It happens all the time. Did it happen here? No idea, but probably not because we didn't see Whipple get on anyone's case about it being snapped when it was.

I also didn't even personally complain about a single thing in that post. I merely pointed out that "it's definitely a thing that people can rightly complain about." - this means that I was pointing out people should have the right to complain about it if they so choose (hint: I did not so choose. I just further explained the situation and why people could complain).


You seriously need to calm down and stop taking things so personally. (didn't realize you said this exact thing to someone else in your last post until I just reread it in the previous posts preview below here) You seem to like to argue, which is fine. But it's also a bit crazy to get so upset over people trying to find areas of improvement on a team that's 4-7.


The fact of the matter is: yes, this is a win, and a good one against a program that's pretty big. Does that mean we should just take it as is and not try to see if there's even more room for improvement? No, but we can still be happy with the result while trying to find other places that can get better.

Online
69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6795
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: Game # 11: BYU

Post by 69MG » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:13 am

I keep hoping that there will be something interesting in this thread so I click on it. What a freakin' creepshow. Jack, just chill out and take a week off from posting.

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1188
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: Game # 11: BYU

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:08 am

This win really sets the table for next year on Veterans Day At Gillette. BYU will come in hungry, hopefully travel well, and it should get our alumni out to see this game as a name brand team we beat this year in a return game. If we stay independent for longer than we want, I hope we can make this into an annual game. Someone posted the ESPN link that lumps the independents into a “league” where it showed we were in first, because none of the other independence played each other and we only played BYU. Who knows maybe if the cards fall right ESPN could do something special around this game...

Jack
Senior
Posts: 1035
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Game # 11: BYU

Post by Jack » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:23 am

e_parade wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:04 am
I would like to point out that I said literally none of what you just got on my case for. All I did was point out that you were entirely incorrect in your assumption that coaches can't tell players when to snap the ball. It happens all the time. Did it happen here? No idea, but probably not because we didn't see Whipple get on anyone's case about it being snapped when it was.

I also didn't even personally complain about a single thing in that post. I merely pointed out that "it's definitely a thing that people can rightly complain about." - this means that I was pointing out people should have the right to complain about it if they so choose (hint: I did not so choose. I just further explained the situation and why people could complain).


You seriously need to calm down and stop taking things so personally. (didn't realize you said this exact thing to someone else in your last post until I just reread it in the previous posts preview below here) You seem to like to argue, which is fine. But it's also a bit crazy to get so upset over people trying to find areas of improvement on a team that's 4-7.


The fact of the matter is: yes, this is a win, and a good one against a program that's pretty big. Does that mean we should just take it as is and not try to see if there's even more room for improvement? No, but we can still be happy with the result while trying to find other places that can get better.
I would like to point out that you are wrong. I never once stated that coaches can't instruct players. Please stop fabricating statements. You are simply making up false statements and attributing them to me. The fact is that Coaches do not snap the football on a punt. The Long snapper performs that function and you literally have no idea what you are talking about when you start making assumptions about what the coaches may or may not have told a player. I further pointed out that your statement contained other factual errors.

I am not taking anything personally... lol. I am correcting your factual errors and I am discussing the game. You are allowed to have your own opinions but you are not allowed to just make up your own facts. If you want to complain - do so based on an accurate statement of facts. Is that too much to ask of you?
Last edited by Jack on Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

78
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7110
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:52 pm
Location: Near Boston

Re: Game # 11: BYU

Post by 78 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:35 am

Jack is such a treasure. He brings the best out of everyone. God love him.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Jack
Senior
Posts: 1035
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Game # 11: BYU

Post by Jack » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:40 am

78 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:35 am
Jack is such a treasure. He brings the best out of everyone. God love him.
God bless you too 78 - Happy Thanksgiving !! Thankfully for you I'm here to insist that folks don't just make up their own facts. Have a great holiday !! :D

User avatar
e_parade
Sophomore
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:15 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Game # 11: BYU

Post by e_parade » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:42 pm

Jack wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:23 am
e_parade wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:04 am
I would like to point out that I said literally none of what you just got on my case for. All I did was point out that you were entirely incorrect in your assumption that coaches can't tell players when to snap the ball. It happens all the time. Did it happen here? No idea, but probably not because we didn't see Whipple get on anyone's case about it being snapped when it was.

I also didn't even personally complain about a single thing in that post. I merely pointed out that "it's definitely a thing that people can rightly complain about." - this means that I was pointing out people should have the right to complain about it if they so choose (hint: I did not so choose. I just further explained the situation and why people could complain).


You seriously need to calm down and stop taking things so personally. (didn't realize you said this exact thing to someone else in your last post until I just reread it in the previous posts preview below here) You seem to like to argue, which is fine. But it's also a bit crazy to get so upset over people trying to find areas of improvement on a team that's 4-7.


The fact of the matter is: yes, this is a win, and a good one against a program that's pretty big. Does that mean we should just take it as is and not try to see if there's even more room for improvement? No, but we can still be happy with the result while trying to find other places that can get better.
I would like to point out that you are wrong. I never once stated that coaches can't instruct players. Please stop fabricating statements. You are simply making up false statements and attributing them to me. The fact is that Coaches do not snap the football on a punt. The Long snapper performs that function and you literally have no idea what you are talking about when you start making assumptions about what the coaches may or may not have told a player. I further pointed out that your statement contained other factual errors.

I am not taking anything personally... lol. I am correcting your factual errors and I am discussing the game. You are allowed to have your own opinions but you are not allowed to just make up your own facts. If you want to complain - do so based on an accurate statement of facts. Is that too much to ask of you?
Your word for word statement was "First of all the coaches do not decide when the long snapper hikes the ball." I was pointing out that's inaccurate. The fact that it doesn't always happen that way (which you are correct about) does not make my statement incorrect that a coach can instruct a player to snap the ball at a certain point. You're being extremely obtuse with this. If a coach makes the decision for the ball to be snapped at a certain point on the play clock, then he will instruct the player to do so. A decision leads to instruction. If the player follows the instruction then the decision was made by the coach.

Let me put it this way: the fact that the coach does not control the actual physical motions of the snapper does not change the fact that a coach instructing a player to snap a ball at a certain point is the coach deciding when the ball gets snapped. If the center does it at a different point then they made a decision on their own and will likely hear from the coach about it. Once again: I am not saying this is what happened during the game. I'm merely pointing out that the coach can, and does, often instruct when things should be done.

If you want to be stupidly pedantic about it, then sure. The coach doesn't decide when the ball is snapped merely for the reason that he doesn't physically control the arms of his center.

If you continue to argue this point based on that extremely weird detail then I'm not sure what to tell you. You might want to seek some professional help if you're unable to concede the single point that "instructing the players" is the same as "making a decision" on something. The coach decides the play, the players have the option to change the call on the field if they so feel, but if they botch it they're going to hear about it and potentially end up benched for their decision.



I'm going to once again point out for a countless time: I did not say that Whipple made any decision about when the ball should be snapped. I just said that coaches have the ability to decide when on the play clock a ball should be snapped.

dennisdent
Junior
Posts: 430
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 7:18 pm
Location: Too close to the Beltway

Re: Game # 11: BYU

Post by dennisdent » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:57 pm

I've written it in the past and I'll say it again--Jack is Dbag troll. I stopped posting on here because of his crazy posts. I wish Mike would suspend or ban him for his constant attacks on other poster views he doesn't like.

User avatar
nighttrain777
Junior
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:20 am
Location: Texas

Re: Game # 11: BYU

Post by nighttrain777 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:12 pm

Just imagine how this thread would be going if we had lost! 8)
'Fight On' You Loyal Sons and Daughters of Metawampe.

Jack
Senior
Posts: 1035
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Game # 11: BYU

Post by Jack » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:58 pm

dennisdent wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:57 pm
I've written it in the past and I'll say it again--Jack is Dbag troll. I stopped posting on here because of his crazy posts. I wish Mike would suspend or ban him for his constant attacks on other poster views he doesn't like.
Excuse me Dennis I have not attacked you. You come on here and the first thing you have to add is personally insult and attack me. I am here to discuss the football game. Comments were made that there were supposedly coaching mistakes in connection with the Hayes Interception and the punt execution. I am interested in discussing that since I actually watch every single game and there are some folks on here who are clearly misinformed when it comes to the games. Instead of making personal attacks perhaps you could actually discuss the game. Which is exactly what I was doing.

McKinney
Junior
Posts: 502
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Re: Game # 11: BYU

Post by McKinney » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:11 pm

Jack wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:58 pm
dennisdent wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:57 pm
I've written it in the past and I'll say it again--Jack is Dbag troll. I stopped posting on here because of his crazy posts. I wish Mike would suspend or ban him for his constant attacks on other poster views he doesn't like.
Excuse me Dennis I have not attacked you. You come on here and the first thing you have to add is personally insult and attack me. I am here to discuss the football game. Comments were made that there were supposedly coaching mistakes in connection with the Hayes Interception and the punt execution. I am interested in discussing that since I actually watch every single game and there are some folks on here who are clearly misinformed when it comes to the games. Instead of making personal attacks perhaps you could actually discuss the game. Which is exactly what I was doing.
Being argumentative is probably one of my worst flaws, but c'mon man let it go. This thread is being spammed with he-said, she-said crap. It doesn't matter whether the mistakes were on the coaches or the players, if mistakes were made it's the responsibility of both of them to learn from those actions.
Ryan McKinney - Class of 2019 - @mckinney2019

Jack
Senior
Posts: 1035
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Game # 11: BYU

Post by Jack » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:19 pm

e_parade wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:42 pm
Your word for word statement was "First of all the coaches do not decide when the long snapper hikes the ball." I was pointing out that's inaccurate. The fact that it doesn't always happen that way (which you are correct about) does not make my statement incorrect that a coach can instruct a player to snap the ball at a certain point. You're being extremely obtuse with this. If a coach makes the decision for the ball to be snapped at a certain point on the play clock, then he will instruct the player to do so. A decision leads to instruction. If the player follows the instruction then the decision was made by the coach.

Let me put it this way: the fact that the coach does not control the actual physical motions of the snapper does not change the fact that a coach instructing a player to snap a ball at a certain point is the coach deciding when the ball gets snapped. If the center does it at a different point then they made a decision on their own and will likely hear from the coach about it. Once again: I am not saying this is what happened during the game. I'm merely pointing out that the coach can, and does, often instruct when things should be done.

If you want to be stupidly pedantic about it, then sure. The coach doesn't decide when the ball is snapped merely for the reason that he doesn't physically control the arms of his center.

If you continue to argue this point based on that extremely weird detail then I'm not sure what to tell you. You might want to seek some professional help if you're unable to concede the single point that "instructing the players" is the same as "making a decision" on something. The coach decides the play, the players have the option to change the call on the field if they so feel, but if they botch it they're going to hear about it and potentially end up benched for their decision.

I'm going to once again point out for a countless time: I did not say that Whipple made any decision about when the ball should be snapped. I just said that coaches have the ability to decide when on the play clock a ball should be snapped.
Look I know exactly what I stated and I know exactly what i am talking about. Your point was that a a failure to run a few seconds off the clock during a punt early in the 4th Q was a coaching mistake. I disagree with you. By the way this is not about Coach Whip he is not the special teams coordinator. What you fail to understand - perhaps because you have not played or coached on special teams is that is that the Special Teams Coach is not deciding when to snap the ball. Especially when you are the visiting team in a loud environment the Long Snapper snaps the ball when the punter is ready and the team is set to properly execute the punt. The fact that you think the Special Teams Coordinator should have instructed the long snapper to wait longer is your opinion and it is the opinion of somebody who doesn’t seem to understand how punts are executed or what a coaching mistake is. So you are entitled to have that opinion you simply happpen to be totally incorrect and you don’t seem to appreciate that I am not being pedantic at all - I am simply telling you the truth which is that Coaches do not decide or determine when the long snapper snaps the ball to the punter.

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1188
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: Game # 11: BYU

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:13 pm

I am sorry I participated in the inane discussion. I feel I like quoting the judge in the academic decathlon Billy Madison took part in. I really am sorry.

Post Reply