Game # 11: BYU

Whip'ing the program back into shape.
baseline47
Senior

Re: Game # 11: BYU

Post by baseline47 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:42 pm

It was a great win! BYU had just beat UNLV, were 4 pt favorites, and had home field advantage with over 50,000 fans cheering them on.

Last year BYU embarrassed UMass, 51 - 9. Oddly enough, hat loss may have helped us. Revenge is a dish best served cold! UMass had a year to ruminate on that humiliating beat down. My only regret is that our offense don't score a lot more. Been nice to hang a 40 point loss on them.
"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:54 pm

baseline47 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:42 pm
It was a great win! BYU had just beat UNLV, were 4 pt favorites, and had home field advantage with over 50,000 fans cheering them on.

Last year BYU embarrassed UMass, 51 - 9. Oddly enough, hat loss may have helped us. Revenge is a dish best served cold! UMass had a year to ruminate on that humiliating beat down. My only regret is that our offense don't score a lot more. Been nice to hang a 40 point loss on them.
They moved the ball enough to score, just couldn’t move it far enough. Dropping a few on the ground didn’t help....glad we fell on all of those. Indeed a great win.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:05 pm

Not a big deal, but people keep saying BYU beat UNLV. They beat Nevada, a totally different school. Just sayin'.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

mdogt12
Hall of Fame

Post by mdogt12 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:20 pm

BYU had just beat UNLV 31-21. UNLV is 5-6 though.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:38 pm

^
My error. Thanks for the correction!

McKinney
Junior

Post by McKinney » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:56 pm

78 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:05 pm
Not a big deal, but people keep saying BYU beat UNLV. They beat Nevada, a totally different school. Just sayin'.
Um, no they beat UNLV 31-21 on 11/10/2017. http://www.espn.com/college-football/ga ... =400945299
Ryan McKinney - Class of 2019 - @mckinney2019

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:58 pm

McKinney wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:56 pm
78 wrote:
Um, no they beat UNLV 31-21 on 11/10/2017. http://www.espn.com/college-football/ga ... =400945299
If you read the post above yours you would see I acknowledged my error.

McKinney
Junior

Post by McKinney » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:45 pm

78 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:58 pm
McKinney wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:56 pm
78 wrote:
If you read the post above yours you would see I acknowledged my error.
Yup. Sorry, my bad.
Ryan McKinney - Class of 2019 - @mckinney2019

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:09 am

minutefanjsf wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:09 pm
There are still far too many mistakes being made that are attributed to coaching. For example, we never let the play clock or game clock run down to the last second on at least two punts when we were trying to kill clock. The interception by Hayes in the end zone should have been knocked down. It was 4th down and picking it off lost us at least 15 yards in field position.
Running the clock down before punts is certainly a worthy gripe but when it comes to intercepting the ball vs knocking it down I would rather ensure the turnover by intercepting. Knocking away a high pass is not very natural and leaves more room for error IMO. Certainly in a perfect world you would knock it down but I'm not going to hold that one against them.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:55 am

^ Yeah, there is a lot more pressing things to get corrected than the int, like the poor kickoff/punt coverage. It's a good thing Laurent (our MVP this year hands down) had touchbacks on every kick b/c I could see some big yardage we would've given up rather than giving them the ball on the 25!

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:27 pm

MJatUM wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:09 am
minutefanjsf wrote:
There are still far too many mistakes being made that are attributed to coaching. For example, we never let the play clock or game clock run down to the last second on at least two punts when we were trying to kill clock. The interception by Hayes in the end zone should have been knocked down. It was 4th down and picking it off lost us at least 15 yards in field position.
Running the clock down before punts is certainly a worthy gripe but when it comes to intercepting the ball vs knocking it down I would rather ensure the turnover by intercepting. Knocking away a high pass is not very natural and leaves more room for error IMO. Certainly in a perfect world you would knock it down but I'm not going to hold that one against them.
I agree that the kicking and other special issues are a bigger issue, but still hold that the coaches should have reminded Hayes and the others that if a hail Mary or end zone pass comes in to knock it down. I get that this was a tipped/dropped ball, and to react on it and knock it down was not in his head.

JD14
Freshman

Post by JD14 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:39 pm

This win is huge enough that when I tell non-fans that UMass beat BYU, they react in surprise and say 'Wow!'

This program turned a corner after 0-6. The defense has been completely revamped. Hard to think that this is nearly the same team as last year!

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:46 pm

minutefanjsf wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:27 pm
MJatUM wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:09 am
minutefanjsf wrote:
I agree that the kicking and other special issues are a bigger issue, but still hold that the coaches should have reminded Hayes and the others that if a hail Mary or end zone pass comes in to knock it down. I get that this was a tipped/dropped ball, and to react on it and knock it down was not in his head.
*special teams

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:47 pm

minutefanjsf wrote:
Have you coached a high school or college football team before? The reason I am asking is that the coaching"mistakes" that you complain about are not really even mistakes, much less obvious coaching errors.

On the Hayes interception - intercepting that ball was a great play - knocking it down would be fine, but it wasn't a "mistake" for Tyler Hayes to intercept the ball and advance in the opposite direction. And it certainly wasn't a coaching mistake. If you want to trash Coach Costello for that play I'd say you are kind of nuts. Last time I checked, before becoming a coach - Steve Costello was one helluva a DB in his own right. So Hayes returned the ball to the 21 - running out of bounds which I would have preferred that he not done - but it still not a mistake worth griping about.

As for the 4th Q Punt that you were apparently upset about - BYU called a timeout before Laurent's punt which stopped the clock at 2;28. Then Logan drilled a 50yd punt which left BYU at its own 13. Good punt. UMass up 16-3 w/2:21 on the clock and BYU needing to drive 87 yards for a TD which they did using 1:43 to do so.

It was a big win for the UMass program - A huge win. Instead of searching for mistakes (which were not even really mistakes) maybe just maybe you could congratulate the players and coaches on a nice win. How about supporting the team? I guess that would be too difficult? :shock:

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:53 pm

Jack wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:47 pm
minutefanjsf wrote:
Have you coached a high school or college football team before? The reason I am asking is that the coaching"mistakes" that you complain about are not really even mistakes, much less obvious coaching errors.

On the Hayes interception - intercepting that ball was a great play - knocking it down would be fine, but it wasn't a "mistake" for Tyler Hayes to intercept the ball and advance in the opposite direction. And it certainly wasn't a coaching mistake. If you want to trash Coach Costello for that play I'd say you are kind of nuts. Last time I checked, before becoming a coach - Steve Costello was one helluva a DB in his own right. So Hayes returned the ball to the 21 - running out of bounds which I would have preferred that he not done - but it still not a mistake worth griping about.

As for the 4th Q Punt that you were apparently upset about - BYU called a timeout before Laurent's punt which stopped the clock at 2;28. Then Logan drilled a 50yd punt which left BYU at its own 13. Good punt. UMass up 16-3 w/2:21 on the clock and BYU needing to drive 87 yards for a TD which they did using 1:43 to do so.

It was a big win for the UMass program - A huge win. Instead of searching for mistakes (which were not even really mistakes) maybe just maybe you could congratulate the players and coaches on a nice win. How about supporting the team? I guess that would be too difficult? :shock:
I commended the team for the win. I also have supported this team more than most on this board by attending every home game for 19 years and never leaving early as well as bringing hundreds of kids to games in groups. I did not trash coach Costello. That was your interpretation. The two punts prior to the last were the punts I was referring to. We were in a grind it out conservative use the clock from the beginning of the fourth quarter. The first two punts, one of which resulted in negative net yardage, of that quarter were snapped with lots of time on the play clock and a live game clock. Even though every play the offense ran in the series ran the play clock down and took no risks, the punt plays did not. On the interception just like you didn't like an aspect of the play neither did I. I chalked it up to coaching since it was a situational play where it was fourth down and the defender was in the endzone. You thought running out of bounds was an error and blame the player for the error. Even though situationally it is not an error, since the clock stops on change of possession. I guess only you are allowed to point out things you didn't like and only attribute the error to the player. As to my coaching experience, I have not coached football at the Either of those levels, but have coached younger, and I coach other HS sports. Practicing end of game and other unique situations is a common. So, Hayes either caught the ball as a reflex, which obviuosly was not on coaching, or hadn't been reminded or coached that a ball being thrown to the endzone should be knocked down. My initial feeling was not being reminded or coached, and then I commented that I could see how it was a reflex, and yes it was a great catch. Mi just wish he didn't make it.