State of the Progam

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
User avatar
econalum
Senior
Posts: 1878
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:31 am
Location: Acton, MA

Re: State of the Progam

Post by econalum » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:19 pm

Good for Isabella, but 1 success says nothing.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

dennisdent
Junior
Posts: 736
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 7:18 pm
Location: Too close to the Beltway

Re: State of the Progam

Post by dennisdent » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:47 pm

Steve81 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:02 pm
dennisdent wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:54 pm
Steve81 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:38 pm


Wow, we had someone in the top 700.
Click on any Massachusetts and show all the salaries and goes back to 2012 or so.
Which is ahead of a lot of coaches from P5 teams! Only 25k more than the Massachusetts governor... :roll:
How many of those P5 assistants are head or co defensive or offensive assistants, not much. You are too close to the beltway. Tell me that it's their salaries where they make their real money. They all have the power of their office. What happens to those guys/gals campaign war chest when they are done or in congress where they made insider trading legal for themselves.

Don't give me the crap about what a public office people make compare to coaches make. Like comparing CEO, CIO etc to coaches.(Apples and oranges, the don't compare.)

You did notice Pinkham got 220k and more some years.
I don't work in politics but served in the Army for many years--175k is what a flag officer makes, not a 35 year old co-defensive coordinator on the worst defense in the country.

The salaries are totally out of control for FBS coaches!

dennisdent
Junior
Posts: 736
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 7:18 pm
Location: Too close to the Beltway

Re: State of the Progam

Post by dennisdent » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:12 pm

78 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:28 pm
This article nails the current state of the program -
https://commonwealthmagazine.org/educat ... ig-losses/
I agree. Max Page was told to shut up from what I heard from some very influential sources.

photoman
Senior
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:25 pm
Location: Attleboro

Re: State of the Progam

Post by photoman » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:28 pm

econalum wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:19 pm
Good for Isabella, but 1 success says nothing.
Since we're not talking about golf or tennis, it's team results that matter. We've had a number of "individual" football players who've made a name for themselves and done quite well. (and that's fantastic) but I'd rather see the team with a winning record than reading how some individual is on a "watch list" for some kind of obscure award. In case you haven't picked up on it, I'm just sick of seeing this team losing, not being competitive and being a freak'n mess.

User avatar
econalum
Senior
Posts: 1878
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:31 am
Location: Acton, MA

Re: State of the Progam

Post by econalum » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:41 pm

Agree with photoman.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: State of the Progam

Post by minutefanjsf » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:28 pm

The individual star doing well later was the MO of the previous regimes. They were hoping that we could gain traction recruiting wise that way. It didn’t work. Let’s hope the new plan works.

TruBluMaroon
Senior
Posts: 1889
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:25 am

Re: State of the Progam

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:32 am

Following the news of scholarship offers, I see a lot of
“ First FBS offer”, taking pride in the fact that UM sees something that others don’t and they will be able to play at this level, when we really need players to excel at this level. So, obviously, I’d like to see more recruits that everyone knows can play at this level and our staff of high quality recruiters can convince them to come here instead of other FBS programs. Play right away, contribute and then dominate as they advance.

This staff’s expertise is supposedly recruiting, which is good, as it is appears to not be strategy nor player development.

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: State of the Progam

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:47 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:32 am
Following the news of scholarship offers, I see a lot of
“ First FBS offer”, taking pride in the fact that UM sees something that others don’t and they will be able to play at this level, when we really need players to excel at this level. So, obviously, I’d like to see more recruits that everyone knows can play at this level and our staff of high quality recruiters can convince them to come here instead of other FBS programs. Play right away, contribute and then dominate as they advance.

This staff’s expertise is supposedly recruiting, which is good, as it is appears to not be strategy nor player development.
We have no way to tell if they develop players, yet. Strategy for sure sucked this year though.

User avatar
Rolling Ridge
Junior
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:17 pm

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Rolling Ridge » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:22 pm

I agree with the comment at the end. Nobody would even be talking about this if the team was winning, or even substantially more competitive. I'm sorry, but $4 million dollars is hardly "bleeding red ink" or an "enormous sum of money" for an institution of UMass' size (Hoagland should be ashamed of himself). Plus, we'd be in that soup or worse if we stayed FCS.

I'm not saying the transition hasn't been painful, far more painful than I'd anticipated. But the idea that this is somehow dragging the University down financially and is "unsustainable" is hogwash.

I hope Bell is successful. If he isn't, I hope we find a coach who can be successful. I don't want to see UMass not offer football, and I don't think going back to FCS is a realistic option. But I think a long-view is needed, not letting this period of admittedly disastrous results sway us from the idea that something better is possible that actually will contribute meaningfully to campus life and UMass' reputation and visibility. And in the meantime, this is small-potatoes in terms of the University's financial picture. This article just seems to be trying to whoop up outrage over something that just isn't that big a deal. IMO.

vanmeter
Senior
Posts: 1937
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:12 pm

Re: State of the Progam

Post by vanmeter » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:43 pm

There is no reason that we should be this bad. Liberty college is in a Bowl game in their second year of FBS. What we need is a good coach. While I am not giving up yet on Walt Bell yet, this year was certainly about as bad as it gets.
I contacted Bamford and when I told him that 3 or 4 wins next year was reasonable goal, he told me to manage my expectations. My take is that he is comfortable with 1 win and laughingstock program again next year. Perhaps someday Bamford will have to answer for his hiring miscues.

TruBluMaroon
Senior
Posts: 1889
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:25 am

Re: State of the Progam

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:46 pm

minutefanjsf wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:47 pm
TruBluMaroon wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:32 am
Following the news of scholarship offers, I see a lot of
“ First FBS offer”, taking pride in the fact that UM sees something that others don’t and they will be able to play at this level, when we really need players to excel at this level. So, obviously, I’d like to see more recruits that everyone knows can play at this level and our staff of high quality recruiters can convince them to come here instead of other FBS programs. Play right away, contribute and then dominate as they advance.

This staff’s expertise is supposedly recruiting, which is good, as it is appears to not be strategy nor player development.
We have no way to tell if they develop players, yet. Strategy for sure sucked this year though.
Well, the players that couldn’t tackle at the beginning of the season, couldn’t tackle at the end of the season. Guessing they could’t tackle in Spring, or Pre-season, either, so they should have shown some improvement.

User avatar
Quann
Senior
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:17 pm
Location: Start Line, MA

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Quann » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:18 am

vanmeter wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:43 pm
There is no reason that we should be this bad. Liberty college is in a Bowl game in their second year of FBS. What we need is a good coach. While I am not giving up yet on Walt Bell yet, this year was certainly about as bad as it gets.
I contacted Bamford and when I told him that 3 or 4 wins next year was reasonable goal, he told me to manage my expectations. My take is that he is comfortable with 1 win and laughingstock program again next year. Perhaps someday Bamford will have to answer for his hiring miscues.
That is one sad response from Bamford. If we can’t expect 3 or 4 wins minimum per year, it’s time for a new AD.

dennisdent
Junior
Posts: 736
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 7:18 pm
Location: Too close to the Beltway

Re: State of the Progam

Post by dennisdent » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:00 am

Quann wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:18 am
vanmeter wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:43 pm
There is no reason that we should be this bad. Liberty college is in a Bowl game in their second year of FBS. What we need is a good coach. While I am not giving up yet on Walt Bell yet, this year was certainly about as bad as it gets.
I contacted Bamford and when I told him that 3 or 4 wins next year was reasonable goal, he told me to manage my expectations. My take is that he is comfortable with 1 win and laughingstock program again next year. Perhaps someday Bamford will have to answer for his hiring miscues.
That is one sad response from Bamford. If we can’t expect 3 or 4 wins minimum per year, it’s time for a new AD.

Totally agree! This is what I have been saying since Bamford came out with the 4 - 5 year plan. UMass is not a re- start program like UAB was but has FBS recruited players on the team and one of the easier schedules in FBS football. We still haven't heard why Bell kept playing Brito when it was obvious he's not an FBS level QB, or ran the hurry (not up) offensive when so much of the defense was injured/quit/young.

I wouldn't feel so down on the program if I saw ANYTHING positive from the season but the team was terrible from the start to the finish. Bell looked clueless on the sideline--like he wanted to be somewhere else then coaching UMass football. I want all UMass coaches to succeed but I have seen so many, from Coach McPherson on and the team never looked this poorly coached (CM's team even better).
Last edited by dennisdent on Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: State of the Progam

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:13 am

TruBluMaroon wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:46 pm
minutefanjsf wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:47 pm
TruBluMaroon wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:32 am
Following the news of scholarship offers, I see a lot of
“ First FBS offer”, taking pride in the fact that UM sees something that others don’t and they will be able to play at this level, when we really need players to excel at this level. So, obviously, I’d like to see more recruits that everyone knows can play at this level and our staff of high quality recruiters can convince them to come here instead of other FBS programs. Play right away, contribute and then dominate as they advance.

This staff’s expertise is supposedly recruiting, which is good, as it is appears to not be strategy nor player development.
We have no way to tell if they develop players, yet. Strategy for sure sucked this year though.
Well, the players that couldn’t tackle at the beginning of the season, couldn’t tackle at the end of the season. Guessing they could’t tackle in Spring, or Pre-season, either, so they should have shown some improvement.
Developing players is usually measured over years not a season. Yes, hopefully the team develops and executes better as a season progresses, but that is not the same as developing players IMO. Practices during the season tend to focus more on game planning and fine tuning the team concepts. Sure players get reps at their positions and instruction on techniques, etc. Offseason and camp are where the development work is focused.

78
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8078
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:52 pm
Location: Near Boston

Re: State of the Progam

Post by 78 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:03 am

TruBluMaroon wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:32 am
Following the news of scholarship offers, I see a lot of
“ First FBS offer”, taking pride in the fact that UM sees something that others don’t and they will be able to play at this level, when we really need players to excel at this level. So, obviously, I’d like to see more recruits that everyone knows can play at this level and our staff of high quality recruiters can convince them to come here instead of other FBS programs. Play right away, contribute and then dominate as they advance.

This staff’s expertise is supposedly recruiting, which is good, as it is appears to not be strategy nor player development.
Looking at the last two QBs we offered, it appears neither has another FBS 𝐎𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫, and one of them appears to have FCS and D2/3 interest.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Post Reply