State of the Progam

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
User avatar
Steve81
Senior
Posts: 1582
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: North Quabbin Region

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Steve81 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:02 am

twitter video link of the IPF being set and inflated.

https://twitter.com/UMassAthletics/stat ... 7567934466

Fly over video:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1187771825536880643

User avatar
UMass02
Senior
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:14 am

Re: State of the Progam

Post by UMass02 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:01 am

2018 UConn Defense:
Passing 282 yds
Rushing 335 yds
Total 617 yds
Scoring 50.4 pts

2019 UMass Defense as of 10/27:
Passing 278 yds (119th in FBS)
Rushing 272 yds (Last)
Total 550 yds (Last)
Scoring 50.2 pts (Last)

Other than rushing yards, this year’s UMass defense looks statistically similar to the infamously bad 2018 UConn defense. I’m already having nightmares about Army’s rushing offense against UMass in their upcoming game. They might hang 600 yds on UMass on Veteran’s Day weekend. Perhaps UMass will wind up matching last year’s UConn defense?! UMass needs to give up an average of 462 rushing yards per game over the end of the season to match UConn’s awful 2018 rushing defense.

User avatar
jjmc85
Senior
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: State of the Progam

Post by jjmc85 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:22 am

There’s nothing positive we can say about this season so far. A part of me thinks Whip was fired one year too earlier, at least for the short term. Not because I think he would have done better, but cause at least then the fanbase would have something to look forward to this offseason.

People in my section have taken to taunting Bell after every play. I don’t think this is Bell’s fault. He inherited a really tough mess. When Whipple was hired I was so excited. You can probably dig up some post from me, whether it be here or the MAC board or some social media platform, where I said “If he can’t do it, no one can.” And he couldn’t do it.

The only possible hope we have is the long term. Hopefully it was the right decision to get rid of Whipple when UMass did. I don’t follow recruiting at all but those who do tell me that the recruiting was really bad and getting worse, especially defensively with Whipple. So the positive is that by not having Whip, we get better recruits a year earlier.

I believe that Bell is better than Molnar but like Molnar he has a lot to learn. Molnar proved he wasn’t going to change over and over again. Hopefully Bell learns from this and figures it out. It’s like we have a freshman head coach. I’m expecting to be blown out every week the rest of the season and hoping next season is a bit better.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Berkman
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5562
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:38 pm
Location: Mooresville, NC
Contact:

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Berkman » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:12 am

What Bell needed to do this year is to play normal FB instead of the hurry up offense and maybe even next year while he builds up the team to play the style he wants to. The rugby punts are atrocious and cost us ground instead of regular punts. The color guy on TV said it looks like they have never heard of coffin corner kicks.

User avatar
MJatUM
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4404
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:46 pm
Location: Attleboro

Re: State of the Progam

Post by MJatUM » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:10 am

Tough to win without a quarterback and this team does NOT have an FBS quarterback on the roster.

User avatar
jjmc85
Senior
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: State of the Progam

Post by jjmc85 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:29 am

Berkman wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:12 am
What Bell needed to do this year is to play normal FB instead of the hurry up offense and maybe even next year while he builds up the team to play the style he wants to. The rugby punts are atrocious and cost us ground instead of regular punts. The color guy on TV said it looks like they have never heard of coffin corner kicks.
I think there’s 0 more wins so far if they abandon the hurry up. At this point, at least they’re practicing the system they want to use for next season so I have no problem with that.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Jack
Senior
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Jack » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:26 pm

jjmc85 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:29 am
I think there’s 0 more wins so far if they abandon the hurry up. At this point, at least they’re practicing the system they want to use for next season so I have no problem with that.
Agreed - Coach Bell decided to implement the hurry up offense w/o the personnel to run the system and he also decided to play as many young guys as possible and it doesn't seem like he is much concerned with winning games as much as he is w/finding out who can play and who wants to play his system. He knows that he will likely have 5 seasons to put his imprint on the program.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4400
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:34 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: State of the Progam

Post by eldonabe » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:33 pm

Jack wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:26 pm
jjmc85 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:29 am
I think there’s 0 more wins so far if they abandon the hurry up. At this point, at least they’re practicing the system they want to use for next season so I have no problem with that.
Agreed - Coach Bell decided to implement the hurry up offense w/o the personnel to run the system and he also decided to play as many young guys as possible and it doesn't seem like he is much concerned with winning games as much as he is w/finding out who can play and who wants to play his system. He knows that he will likely have 5 seasons to put his imprint on the program.
Yup to both of these......
In Matt McCall I trust!

Berkman
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5562
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:38 pm
Location: Mooresville, NC
Contact:

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Berkman » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:07 pm

The only problem is that I don't see that much of a hurry up offense. Many times they actually stand around while someone on the sidelines decides what play to call. We are hurt a lot by running plays on 1st down that don't gain much yardage. Brito is TOO SHORT. Someone said that the redshirt and actual freshmen QB's are pro style QB's but why can't they be coached to be QB's in they style Bell wants to use. At least they would be tall enough to see over the offensive line an rushing linemen or linebackers.

dennisdent
Junior
Posts: 738
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 7:18 pm
Location: Too close to the Beltway

Re: State of the Progam

Post by dennisdent » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:11 pm

What team that is successful right now in college football runs Bell's hurry (nothing "up" about it) offense? By this I mean runs EVERY play fast, not stops and checks the defense--Stats??? None that I've seen this season. UMass will never have the personnel to run this type of offense and defense.

Brito not just too small but too slow and fragile.

User avatar
MJatUM
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4404
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:46 pm
Location: Attleboro

Re: State of the Progam

Post by MJatUM » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:54 am

Not to pile on but my biggest problem with Brito has been his play... I feel like height isn't that much of an issue and he seems perfectly mobile enough for the position. He is a one-read QB. He looks at the defense pre snap and knows where he's going with the ball regardless of coverage. Seriously almost every pass he threw on Saturday was into coverage and at the top of his drop back. I've seen enough from him, let's move on down the line.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4400
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:34 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: State of the Progam

Post by eldonabe » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:08 am

MJatUM wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:54 am
Not to pile on but my biggest problem with Brito has been his play... I feel like height isn't that much of an issue and he seems perfectly mobile enough for the position. He is a one-read QB. He looks at the defense pre snap and knows where he's going with the ball regardless of coverage. Seriously almost every pass he threw on Saturday was into coverage and at the top of his drop back. I've seen enough from him, let's move on down the line.
Doug Flutie 2.0 except he doesn't have the skill, luck, ability, style, or the"it factor"..... But you you know, other than that he is Doug Flutie 2.0....
In Matt McCall I trust!

78
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8078
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:52 pm
Location: Near Boston

Re: State of the Progam

Post by 78 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:01 pm

Remember we talked about being happy provided the team showed improvement as the season progressed? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Berkman
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5562
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:38 pm
Location: Mooresville, NC
Contact:

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Berkman » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:22 pm

^ ^
But Doug Flutie had a good OL to play behind.

classof60
Junior
Posts: 271
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: cape cod

Re: State of the Progam

Post by classof60 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:22 pm

Flutie looks the size of Tacko Fall compared to him

Post Reply