State of the Progam

Get ready for some MACtion
Hall of Fame

Re: State of the Progam

Post by 78 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:20 am

It's good to see that the more things change the more they stay the same...Jack remains the most insufferable dick on this forum. Congratulations, Jack!
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:41 am

Jack wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:00 am
MJatUM wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:07 pm I hate to put it so simply, but I think this is the week that determines his fate. Win and he stays, lose and there's no question he's out. It is tough to overlook the start to the season but the way they've looked since the double bye is encouraging and I hate myself for typing this sentence.

The one caveat being if somebody becomes available that Bamford really wants and he can get - Whip is out.
Another moronic comment from a fan who ignores reality on multiple levels. NEWSFLASH: Whipple inherited a dumpster fire and has built a competitive team that won two straight and then went on the road to Mississippi State and came close to defeating a more talented top 20 team. Oh and he just inked another 3 star recruit. The notion that anybody would be calling for the Coach to be fired under such circumstances is utterly hilarious and it highlights just how dumb some of you actually are when it comes to understanding what is entailed in building a competitive FBS program from the ashes that he inherited from Morris/Molnar & McCutcheon. Breaking News: This is not the University of Texas. We are not cycling through coaches every 3-4 years. Whipple is the best Head Coach this program has ever had. He is the only Head Coach who has won a National Championship here and he has this team improving every single week....Do any of you supposed coaching experts even go to the games??? . and yet we still see posts like this from chuckleheads who fundamentally have no understanding of where this program is coming from and zero appreciation for the improvement and player development that has occurred under Coach Whipple. You guys are a joke who have no clue what you are talking about..... We will beat Maine this weekend....but it has nothing to do with Coach Whipple being on the hot seat.... Goodness gracious you guys are insufferably foolish.... GO UMASS !!!! :D
Don Brown has the best record as HC at UMass. He didn't win championship, but he got to one. He also is one of the main reasons the 1998 team won it all. BTW, FIU and GASO are not Texas either, and they fired their coaches for losing too much. The players have improved and developed for sure under Whipple. The problem is he has found ways to undermine that development by mismanaging games and calling ridiculous plays at times that baffle not only the fans, but the color commentators on our own radio show. Double pass on 3 and 1. Seemingly killing the clock against Miss ST then inexplicably stopping the clock at the end of the first half. Are two that come to mind. The deep ball to Isabella against MSST, when only needed inches, even though it worked, was stupid. Yes, Whipple has seen the program come back to life under his tutelage, but he is not the best coach we've had and he is not infallible.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:54 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:41 am
Jack wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:00 am
MJatUM wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:07 pm I hate to put it so simply, but I think this is the week that determines his fate. Win and he stays, lose and there's no question he's out. It is tough to overlook the start to the season but the way they've looked since the double bye is encouraging and I hate myself for typing this sentence.

The one caveat being if somebody becomes available that Bamford really wants and he can get - Whip is out.
Another moronic comment from a fan who ignores reality on multiple levels. NEWSFLASH: Whipple inherited a dumpster fire and has built a competitive team that won two straight and then went on the road to Mississippi State and came close to defeating a more talented top 20 team. Oh and he just inked another 3 star recruit. The notion that anybody would be calling for the Coach to be fired under such circumstances is utterly hilarious and it highlights just how dumb some of you actually are when it comes to understanding what is entailed in building a competitive FBS program from the ashes that he inherited from Morris/Molnar & McCutcheon. Breaking News: This is not the University of Texas. We are not cycling through coaches every 3-4 years. Whipple is the best Head Coach this program has ever had. He is the only Head Coach who has won a National Championship here and he has this team improving every single week....Do any of you supposed coaching experts even go to the games??? . and yet we still see posts like this from chuckleheads who fundamentally have no understanding of where this program is coming from and zero appreciation for the improvement and player development that has occurred under Coach Whipple. You guys are a joke who have no clue what you are talking about..... We will beat Maine this weekend....but it has nothing to do with Coach Whipple being on the hot seat.... Goodness gracious you guys are insufferably foolish.... GO UMASS !!!! :D
Don Brown has the best record as HC at UMass. He didn't win championship, but he got to one. He also is one of the main reasons the 1998 team won it all. BTW, FIU and GASO are not Texas either, and they fired their coaches for losing too much. The players have improved and developed for sure under Whipple. The problem is he has found ways to undermine that development by mismanaging games and calling ridiculous plays at times that baffle not only the fans, but the color commentators on our own radio show. Double pass on 3 and 1. Seemingly killing the clock against Miss ST then inexplicably stopping the clock at the end of the first half. Are two that come to mind. The deep ball to Isabella against MSST, when only needed inches, even though it worked, was stupid. Yes, Whipple has seen the program come back to life under his tutelage, but he is not the best coach we've had and he is not infallible.
Hawaii included some head scratching play calling in the 4th quarter too.

Trickeration only works when it doesn't trickerate your own team...... :oops:

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:44 pm

I'm firmly in the Don Brown camp for the best coach we ever had.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:19 am

e_parade wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:44 pm I'm firmly in the Don Brown camp for the best coach we ever had.
I can see why you think so. Don Brown is a damn good coach (also a great person if you get to know him) but he never won a national championship as head coach and he also didn't inherit the 2-9 mike hodges mess that Whip did in 1998 or the 1-11 mccutcheon/molnar mess that Whip inherited in 2014. Don Brown inherited Whip's team.

But the point is that Don Brown is not coming back here to be the HC - so get over it. We are freaking lucky as hell to have Mark Whipple who has dramatically improved this football program and yet we still have imbeciles like 78 spouting off gibberish and nonsense about wanting to fire the best HC we've ever had and the guy who has taken this program from being a FBS doormat to being competitive FBS team.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:53 am

Jack wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:19 am
e_parade wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:44 pm I'm firmly in the Don Brown camp for the best coach we ever had.
I can see why you think so. Don Brown is a damn good coach (also a great person if you get to know him) but he never won a national championship as head coach and he also didn't inherit the 2-9 mike hodges mess that Whip did in 1998 or the 1-11 mccutcheon/molnar mess that Whip inherited in 2014. Don Brown inherited Whip's team.

But the point is that Don Brown is not coming back here to be the HC - so get over it. We are freaking lucky as hell to have Mark Whipple who has dramatically improved this football program and yet we still have imbeciles like 78 spouting off gibberish and nonsense about wanting to fire the best HC we've ever had and the guy who has taken this program from being a FBS doormat to being competitive FBS team.
So, when Whip won 3 games in year three or four of his first go around, with his players?......agree to disagree. Don Brown never had a losing season.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:56 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:53 am

So, when Whip won 3 games in year three or four of his first go around, with his players?......agree to disagree. Don Brown never had a losing season.
Also, I wasn't implying that DB was coming here to coach again. That wasn't part of the discussion. Whipple has done well at getting us competitive. No one is arguing for Molnar to come back. You can't think whip hasn't made some errors and can not improve.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:09 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:56 am Also, I wasn't implying that DB was coming here to coach again. That wasn't part of the discussion. Whipple has done well at getting us competitive. No one is arguing for Molnar to come back. You can't think whip hasn't made some errors and can not improve.
Whipple has done well in rebuilding the program, recruiting and developing some continuity. It is a work in progress for sure. But some of the football geniuses on the board are advocating firing the coach who has actually improved the program and is the best HC we have had. DB is not coming here unless the program suddenly decides to start paying the head coach 7 figures. If we have that budget let me know. Right now we are frankly blessed to have an improving football program under Whip.

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Not sure what you think I need to get over here. I merely stated that I believe Don Brown to be the best coach we ever had. In the past I've made it abundantly clear that I'm aware we're not getting him. We missed out on that chance and now he's onto the biggest programs out there.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:59 am

Found on the FB blog - Decision on Whipple to be made after the season:

http://www.gazettenet.com/UMass-facing- ... e-13722766

GuntherSAM
Sophomore

Post by GuntherSAM » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:53 am

Those last paragraphs indicate that given our late finish in the schedule should Bamford fire Whipple at the end of the season then UMass might be at a disadvantage when it comes to hiring a new coach. I assume we would be competing with those same schools. I wonder how much a factor, if at all, this will play into Bamford's decision?

jpatsfan
Junior

Post by jpatsfan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:05 pm

Honestly, I do not see Whipple going after this year, especially if they can get another win. The team has made progress since the two week bye which really helped out a lot. What will be needed is an offensive coordinator who has the independent control to call plays. Whipple needs to focus on the big picture as HC. Long term, we desperately need a conference. FBS Independence is a pain in the ass. Between the BS with streaming our home games and playing a national schedule, it does not provide us a chance to cultivate stable rivalries which could draw fans.

I continue to hope that someday we could see a Northeast or new Eastern base FBS conference. UMass and UNH drew 35K at Gillette as FCS schools. Without a conference we will continue to being doing things the hard way. It would be nice to be able to schedule regionally based schools. I know we need the pay day games against the P5 but we end up getting injured badly in those games screwing the rest of the schedule. The current model is not going to work long term. Its either we make a move in the next 2 years or we have to wait till 2023. In 2023 a lot of the media rights contracts are due up and many believe that is when the next round of crazy realignment will begin.

gosox22
Junior

Post by gosox22 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:56 pm

GuntherSAM wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:53 am Those last paragraphs indicate that given our late finish in the schedule should Bamford fire Whipple at the end of the season then UMass might be at a disadvantage when it comes to hiring a new coach. I assume we would be competing with those same schools. I wonder how much a factor, if at all, this will play into Bamford's decision?
This is a really interesting point that Matty V brings up. I suspect we won't see a decision made until after the season, as Bamford suggests. If after the season is over, someone Bamford really wanted to pursue had already landed somewhere else, that probably factors into a decision to perhaps give Whipple 1 more year. If candidates he has his eye on are still available after the season, that presumably would influence his decision towards letting Whipple go. Either way, I don't think anything happens until after the season is over.

Still think they bring Whipple back while adding an OC. If they win their last two games (or even 1 of their last 2), I would be absolutely stunned if that scenario did not play out.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:13 pm

gosox22 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:56 pm
GuntherSAM wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:53 am Those last paragraphs indicate that given our late finish in the schedule should Bamford fire Whipple at the end of the season then UMass might be at a disadvantage when it comes to hiring a new coach. I assume we would be competing with those same schools. I wonder how much a factor, if at all, this will play into Bamford's decision?
This is a really interesting point that Matty V brings up. I suspect we won't see a decision made until after the season, as Bamford suggests. If after the season is over, someone Bamford really wanted to pursue had already landed somewhere else, that probably factors into a decision to perhaps give Whipple 1 more year. If candidates he has his eye on are still available after the season, that presumably would influence his decision towards letting Whipple go. Either way, I don't think anything happens until after the season is over.

Still think they bring Whipple back while adding an OC. If they win their last two games (or even 1 of their last 2), I would be absolutely stunned if that scenario did not play out.
I think if Bamford is going to fire Whipple, the decision has already been made and he is reaching out to possible replacement candidates already. Bamford announces the decisions after the season but the decision is made long before. IMO, Kellogg was toast about halfway through the season as was the recently departed women's soccer coach.

The recent wins may make it a difficult decision for Bamford. I'm in the camp of- Whipple is a great guy and am glad he took over the program and gave it some stability but his head coaching/OC decisions over the past four years left much to be desired. It seems that he thinks he has much better players than he does and as a result his play calling is curious at best. Also, why is UMASS so lousy in the 3rd quarter???

Another way to look at this is if the team was 0-9 would you fire him? Two years ago I would say no. Now I'd say yes. Also, could you reasonably say that the team this year could have already 5 or 6 wins? Yes again. If UMASS was looking at being bowl eligible we all would be singing his praises. Yet underneath a 0-12 or 7-5 team, is the coaching solid or is it suspect. I say it is suspect regardless of the record. Though I think Pinkham is a gem who needed a few games to get the players clear on his system.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:10 pm

jpatsfan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:05 pm I continue to hope that someday we could see a Northeast or new Eastern base FBS conference. UMass and UNH drew 35K at Gillette as FCS schools.
I agree, I wouldn't mind joining the CAA for a few years if they upgraded to FBS. Hindsight is 20/20, but I wonder where we'd be if we left A10 for Big East with Rutgers and West Virginia in '95.

However, don't take the 35k at Gillette at face value. They got that number for the novelty of playing at Gillette. The previous matchup to the one at Gillette drew 13,108, the one prior to that (at UNH) was 6,231.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass