State of the Progam

Get ready for some MACtion
minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Re: State of the Progam

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:53 am

Bell’s offense is not RPO. IT is spread for sure, but there are no plays that I saw where the QB had to make a decision between throwing or running. They had one read sideline passes and running plays that resembled an option, but the QB never kept the ball, unless of course it was Curtis in the Akron game. I don’t think Bell wants to implement nor has he a true RPO offense, but I’m not sure what he is putting in place for sure, because it looks like a mixture of Molnar’s spread and the pee wee team down the street.

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:12 am

Alex Guerrero, my HERO!!!!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:14 am

Haha that guy is good... very creative!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:30 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:53 am Bell’s offense is not RPO. IT is spread for sure, but there are no plays that I saw where the QB had to make a decision between throwing or running. They had one read sideline passes and running plays that resembled an option, but the QB never kept the ball, unless of course it was Curtis in the Akron game. I don’t think Bell wants to implement nor has he a true RPO offense, but I’m not sure what he is putting in place for sure, because it looks like a mixture of Molnar’s spread and the pee wee team down the street.
Isn't RPO Offense redundant? 8)

The Office of Redundancy Office is calling........

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:48 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:53 am Bell’s offense is not RPO. IT is spread for sure, but there are no plays that I saw where the QB had to make a decision between throwing or running. They had one read sideline passes and running plays that resembled an option, but the QB never kept the ball, unless of course it was Curtis in the Akron game. I don’t think Bell wants to implement nor has he a true RPO offense, but I’m not sure what he is putting in place for sure, because it looks like a mixture of Molnar’s spread and the pee wee team down the street.
My bad, I meant run, pass OPTION out of the spread. Even Hugh Freeze thinks that's what Bell is trying to do: https://www.aseaofred.com/umass-final-t ... rediction/

"The good thing is we will be able to present to our defense exactly what they will see because it’s a mirror image of who we are. It’s identical, same RPOs, same runs, same sets. They may go a little bit more 2-by-2 spread than we do, but that’s typically when they’ve gotten behind a bit. If they can stay in the game, they stay in their comfort zone which is the RPO world.” I saw many plays when the UMass QB faked a hand off and threw the ball. I would think that having the QB run would keep the defense honest...

Bell's QB at ASU ran for over 800 yards and his QB's at Maryland ran a lot. I agree that it was total pee wee this season at UMass

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:37 pm

eldonabe wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:30 am

The O means option in RPO. My point being that the QB this year did not exhibit any decision making talents or even look like he was coached/supposed to make a decision. He either chucked it when he got it, scrambled to chuck it or handed off. Didn’t look like he read anything. So, the formations were spread out, the QB flailed a bit to simulate a pass fake after handing off, and the QB ran the other way to avoid contract after handing off, but he never utilized the option part of the equation.

Jeff90
Junior

Post by Jeff90 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:05 pm

The RPO option offense was exactly what we were running. The (RPO) refers to the quarterback's options meaning he should have 3 choices on every play. Besides lack of talent the offense went no where with Brito because it was only a (PO) offense. Don't want to be mean to the young man but for whatever reason he was unwilling to run ever.
Have to give Bell at least 3 years In my opinion so he can see his recruiting classes advance. Seems to be a pretty good recruiter. I was, however not happy that he tried to force fit the Umass players into his desired system. Every good coach knows you design a system around the talent you have not the other way around. He should have slowly implemented his system as he recruited the talent he felt could support it. 3 years and out if not working.
I have seen Brady Martin Play and commented on the 2020 recruiting discussion. Just one game and he had a bad day with picks so need to keep an open mind. On the positive side, he is very athletic and has a strong arm but also small 5-11 at best. Could be good in time but I don't think he is at the level to take over as a freshman.
Seems to me a lot of the teams we should realistically be competing against seem to get their quarterbacks via transfer from bigger programs. Heard it mentioned a few times watching the games this year. Another poster here said something similar. There are a lot of very good 3rd string quarterbacks out there in the power conferences that keep getting recruited over. that may be looking for a chance to start. Get a transfer.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:06 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:37 pm
eldonabe wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:30 am

The O means option in RPO. My point being that the QB this year did not exhibit any decision making talents or even look like he was coached/supposed to make a decision. He either chucked it when he got it, scrambled to chuck it or handed off. Didn’t look like he read anything. So, the formations were spread out, the QB flailed a bit to simulate a pass fake after handing off, and the QB ran the other way to avoid contract after handing off, but he never utilized the option part of the equation.
100 percent agree with you! When Bell was an O coordinator he had a boss and the D coordinator to deal with so it kept him in line. We saw that as the head coach/defacto O coordinator he was clueless. I think I'll step back and watch what he does in the off-season remedy all the first year mistakes as a head coach. I don't think he's ever had a QB that he recruited as his starting QB until Brito...Hopefully does better this year!

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:08 pm

I thought that Brito did do some runs until he got that concussion. When he came back I don't think that he ran more than one time per game if even that.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:17 pm

Jeff90 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:05 pmGet a transfer.
Yes!!! Get a few transfer QBs. A lot schools are doing that now. Bringing in more than one transfer QB, either grad or regular. Bell most have connections like Whip did to find some that know the RPO offense that can hit the ground RUNNING.
Last edited by dennisdent on Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:31 pm

Funny stuff! So if the other one win teams finish the season with their win being over an FCS team wouldn't UMess drop from number two--wait, who cares :D ! Happy Thanksgiving!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:52 pm

Jeff90 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:05 pm The RPO option offense was exactly what we were running. The (RPO) refers to the quarterback's options meaning he should have 3 choices on every play. Besides lack of talent the offense went no where with Brito because it was only a (PO) offense. Don't want to be mean to the young man but for whatever reason he was unwilling to run ever.
Have to give Bell at least 3 years In my opinion so he can see his recruiting classes advance. Seems to be a pretty good recruiter. I was, however not happy that he tried to force fit the Umass players into his desired system. Every good coach knows you design a system around the talent you have not the other way around. He should have slowly implemented his system as he recruited the talent he felt could support it. 3 years and out if not working.
I have seen Brady Martin Play and commented on the 2020 recruiting discussion. Just one game and he had a bad day with picks so need to keep an open mind. On the positive side, he is very athletic and has a strong arm but also small 5-11 at best. Could be good in time but I don't think he is at the level to take over as a freshman.
Seems to me a lot of the teams we should realistically be competing against seem to get their quarterbacks via transfer from bigger programs. Heard it mentioned a few times watching the games this year. Another poster here said something similar. There are a lot of very good 3rd string quarterbacks out there in the power conferences that keep getting recruited over. that may be looking for a chance to start. Get a transfer.
It may have been what was supposed to happen but as you said the QB made very few decisions. The RPO is a triple threat offense that we limited to at best two threats per play, and the second threat was never used. Our route design and running did not make me believe the tasing option was ever real BTW. Obviously decisions have to be made quickly in a RPO offense when the RPO is on, but it seemed we had many plays where it was clear the option wasn’t the call. It was either a pass or run play. And when the run play was an option play Brito never ran. Also, trying to run a true RPO on every play with Freshmen OL is just plain stupid.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:39 pm

From our old friend Matty V:
UMass football's future seven-figure paydays:
Auburn: $1.9 million
Pittsburgh: $1.3 million
Florida State: $1.5 million
Texas A&M: $1.7 million
Auburn: $1.95 million
Penn State: $1.6 million
Georgia: $1.9 million

https://twitter.com/MattVautour424/stat ... 6320432129

chapter 11
Junior

Post by chapter 11 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:39 am

amazing how much cash those programs own. nice to aspire to such company. like wooderson said in dazed and confused- patience, darling, patience.

enjoy your day.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:28 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:52 pm
Jeff90 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:05 pm The RPO option offense was exactly what we were running. The (RPO) refers to the quarterback's options meaning he should have 3 choices on every play. Besides lack of talent the offense went no where with Brito because it was only a (PO) offense. Don't want to be mean to the young man but for whatever reason he was unwilling to run ever.
It may have been what was supposed to happen but as you said the QB made very few decisions. The RPO is a triple threat offense that we limited to at best two threats per play, and the second threat was never used. Our route design and running did not make me believe the tasing option was ever real BTW. Obviously decisions have to be made quickly in a RPO offense when the RPO is on, but it seemed we had many plays where it was clear the option wasn’t the call. It was either a pass or run play. And when the run play was an option play Brito never ran. Also, trying to run a true RPO on every play with Freshmen OL is just plain stupid.

Actually resembled the C&D more or perhaps the the SC&D.....Chuck and Duck ....Buddy Ryan ( my second mention of him). And Scramble , then Chuck and Duck......although they did have difficulty in the Duck part....
Enjoy your days!