State of the Progam

Get ready for some MACtion
eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Re: State of the Progam

Post by eldonabe » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:41 am

Jack wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:36 am The state of the program is improved w/lots of room for further improvement. turning from that discussion into a referendum on the Head Coach after the best win this program has had in years and after back to back victories is absurd. Try to have a little bit of class. This isn't Texas or Tennessee, we aren't cycling through head coaches every 3-4 years. first of all we can't afford to run the program like that. secondly its a moronic approach to trying to build and establish a fbs program w/continujty which is what Whipple has been doing after what he inherited when he got here 3+ yrs ago. bad play calls are inexcusable as are numerous other mistakes this team makes hence there is lots of room for continued improvement. It has been fun and challenging watching the program slowly improve - we are now much much better than 3 yrs ago. that is progress. not sure why some folks can't see that. we are going to be ranked higher than we have been in a long time, the team is improved and better than its been in a long time... so now lets fire the coach and start from scratch... .... lol makes no sense at all...
While you may be right in the end you are not being completely objective either.

"bad play calls are inexcusable as are numerous other mistakes this team makes hence there is lots of room for continued improvement."

It is hard to play the "what if" game; however, many, if not most here will say that the play calling has been questionable (to be very very kind). This has been a criticism of Whip since he came back and it persists still today. He very likely cost them 2 wins so far this season (Hawaii being a glaring example) and nearly cost them another one this past weekend too.

The "Ockham's Razor" approach was lost on Whip years ago. The only one he is fooling with this dumb play calling is his his offense.

Whip may be good a building a program but I agree that if he is unwilling to take on an OC he should not be the HC any longer.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:47 am

If we had a solid option for replacing Whipple, I'd be on board because I think he is a bad head coach. But god know who would replace him so I guess we'll have to wait and see how the rest of the season plays out. Like someone just mentioned, we need a proven OC to run the offense whether Whipple is gone or back next year.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:08 am

There may not be a solid option to replace Whip, which makes it difficult for the AD to insist upon an OC. If I was Ryan, I would strongly suggest that he consider one. If Whip doesn't take the hint, get the search committee started.

UMWally1832
Freshman

Post by UMWally1832 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:51 am

It's not about the AD suggesting it, it's about the AD funding it.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:09 am

Our offensive coordinator next year? http://www.gazettenet.com/Former-UMass- ... r-13583760
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:41 am

I think it would be a really good move. He runs the same scheme and it would be someone to focus solely on the offense while Whip can be more of a CEO with input.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:47 am

Whipple likes to remind us about what he did before coming back to UMass. Can't remember the last time he didn't mention his NFL career.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:48 pm

At this point - I think that Whipple deserves 1 more year with this squad. Of course, my opinion can change after our remaining 3 games.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:07 pm

I hate to put it so simply, but I think this is the week that determines his fate. Win and he stays, lose and there's no question he's out. It is tough to overlook the start to the season but the way they've looked since the double bye is encouraging and I hate myself for typing this sentence.

The one caveat being if somebody becomes available that Bamford really wants and he can get - Whip is out.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:32 pm

MJatUM wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:07 pm I hate to put it so simply, but I think this is the week that determines his fate. Win and he stays, lose and there's no question he's out. It is tough to overlook the start to the season but the way they've looked since the double bye is encouraging and I hate myself for typing this sentence.

The one caveat being if somebody becomes available that Bamford really wants and he can get - Whip is out.
Not sure I agree - there is a lot of dead money on the books next year. I think there has been enough (bad play calling aside) on the field to let him finish. A lack of an agreement before spring training will pretty much put Whip on a "Bowl or Bust" program next year. A lame duck situation is not great for recruiting, but extending a guy so you can fire him 6 months later makes no sense either....

Where the speculation should start and end is what is done about an OC. If this is forced upon Whip - I say that is your next HC, if Whip owns it and is given the hiring call then it is still Whips job to lose next year.

Crank
Senior

Post by Crank » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:38 pm

^I agree with Eldon to a point...if he loses to a .500 FCS Maine team at Fenway Park I can't imagine him surviving that.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:00 am

MJatUM wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:07 pm I hate to put it so simply, but I think this is the week that determines his fate. Win and he stays, lose and there's no question he's out. It is tough to overlook the start to the season but the way they've looked since the double bye is encouraging and I hate myself for typing this sentence.

Another moronic comment from a fan who ignores reality on multiple levels. NEWSFLASH: Whipple inherited a dumpster fire and has built a competitive team that won two straight and then went on the road to Mississippi State and came close to defeating a more talented top 20 team. Oh and he just inked another 3 star recruit. The notion that anybody would be calling for the Coach to be fired under such circumstances is utterly hilarious and it highlights just how dumb some of you actually are when it comes to understanding what is entailed in building a competitive FBS program from the ashes that he inherited from Morris/Molnar & McCutcheon. Breaking News: This is not the University of Texas. We are not cycling through coaches every 3-4 years. Whipple is the best Head Coach this program has ever had. He is the only Head Coach who has won a National Championship here and he has this team improving every single week....Do any of you supposed coaching experts even go to the games??? . and yet we still see posts like this from chuckleheads who fundamentally have no understanding of where this program is coming from and zero appreciation for the improvement and player development that has occurred under Coach Whipple. You guys are a joke who have no clue what you are talking about..... We will beat Maine this weekend....but it has nothing to do with Coach Whipple being on the hot seat.... Goodness gracious you guys are insufferably foolish.... GO UMASS !!!! :D

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:17 am

^ Sorry didn't realize we had Bear Bryant among our posters here. Go fist yourself, pal.

Come coach at UMass, where losing to Hawaii and a brand spanking new FBS team in their first FBS game every in Coastal Carolina will be completely overlooked as long as you can cover against SEC teams. Give me a break. I very clearly said in my post I am encouraged the way the team has looked over the past few weeks - that doesn't mean all is forgotten and forgiven for absolutely throwing up on yourself to start the season. Maybe if you can look at this season objectively and not let the National Championship from 20 years ago cloud your judgment you will maybe see that things are not all hunky dory in the 413. My favorite part of your post was asking if people actually watch the games. It is in watching the games that it really magnifies the problem, the box scores make the team look better than the product we've actually seen. Again, this is all pre the double bye which I said THEY WAY THEY'VE PLAYED SINCE THEN IS ENCOURAGING. Moron.
Last edited by MJatUM on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

gosox22
Junior

Post by gosox22 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:23 am

^ You can find me quoted somewhere on this board saying there is a 0% chance Whipple returns next season. I said that I think maybe 5 weeks ago when we couldn't beat the worst teams in the country.

I've changed my tune. With the wins over GA Southern and App State, and then the scare we put into Miss St, I think you have to give Whip another year. It feels like we are finally starting to turn the corner. I think that if Ford played that game on Saturday, we might be basking in the glory of an epic upset.

That said, we CAN NOT lose to Maine on Saturday. That would erase all of the goodwill this team has built up the past 3 weeks. In fact, we really need to steamroll them to really keep the momentum going, in my opinion. See you all there Saturday! Go U!

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:58 am

MJatUM wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:17 am ^ Sorry didn't realize we had Bear Bryant among our posters here. Go fist yourself, pal.
Jack has argued with a LOT of people over the years but I don't think he's ever elicited a response like that! :o :shock: