State of the Progam

Get ready for some MACtion
stevemaz
Senior

State of the Progam

Post by stevemaz » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:47 am

Yes I know I am about to get carried away again, but obviously we all have to feel good about yesterday. The goal this year was to go bowling and that is not going to happen which is disappointing because it is fairly obvious that the record should be better than 2-6. I think we are headed for 3-9(3-8), but have two other chances at BYU and at FIU (if that game happens), especially if Ford can play. A secondary goal was to stabilize the program by improving its competitiveness, which quietly has happened. For me, I want to see the team be at the point where they are favored vs just about all teams from CUSA, MAC, and Sun Belt and I think that is well on its way to becoming the reality. Next year, at Ga Southern, at FIU, Charlotte, at Ohio, Coastal Car, and Liberty all should be games where UMass just goes out and wins putting them in a bowl. Next Year, I want 7-5 or better.

As far as Whip goes? On one hand, he blew it bigtime with in game management and play calling, but on the other, the team has showed resilience and enough talent to the point where they could have won every game this year. Whip gets credit for the latter. I have no insight as to what Bamford is thinking, but based on his comments at half time, I suspect Whip is back. My only hope is that Bamford requires the hiring of an OC as I just don't think Whip can handle overseeing game management while worrying about play calling at this level.

Next year is huge for the program, especially since they missed an enormous opportunity this year to begin to build a fan base. Yesterday was a great fall football day and the stadium could have been 18K+ watching a 5-2 team reach bowl eligibility. Beyond, the goal is to continue to build to where UMass is on par or better than most Mountain West and AAC schools. There is no reason why UMass cannot be among the best G5's in the near future. In fact, the 2019 schedule looks like it will include no games vs powerhouse programs.. sure at Northwestern should be tough game, at Rutgers could be too and certainly BYU at home may as well but 2019 can be a year that puts the Minutemen on the map

B1G 2024, New stadium 2025, National Champs 2034!

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Rolling Ridge » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:19 am

If we think our record should be better than 2-6, what is the reason for being 2-6? Either the players aren't that good, or the coaching staff isn't getting the most out of them.

Personally, I think it's the latter. I sensed from the first game this season that the team was not well prepared. I think we lack direction and discipline, and that really hasn't changed much during our stint at FBS under two coaches. I don't think the team's fundamentals are that good, and you're just not going to win a lot of games with poor fundamentals. Our wins have come against one dreadful team and one team that may be good, but probably didn't have their best game. If these continue to be the only kinds of games we can win, we won't win many games.

Whipple has definitely done some good things with recruiting and program morale. But this is still not a very good football team. Something has to change for us to take the next step. I'd totally support getting an OC and don't understand why we don't have one now. But if Whipple returns next season, particularly with no OC, I see no reason not to expect the same basic results we're seeing this season, and have seen for the past few seasons. This is why I didn't believe the hoo-ha and predicted this team would go 3-9 this year. Something would have to change substantially for me to move significantly from that number for next season.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:32 am

I would not bring the coach back without an OC.

AlPatino
Junior

Post by AlPatino » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:24 am

stevemaz wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:47 am

B1G 2024, New stadium 2025, National Champs 2034!
And I was wondering what I was going to do on my 80th birthday!!! Now I know!!! Nice win. Go UMass!!!
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:28 am

stevemaz wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:32 am I would not bring the coach back without an OC.
Neither would I. I guess we'll see what happens.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:32 am

First of all, anybody who thought this team was going to suddenly go from winning 2 games against Wagner and FIU to suddenly being bowl eligible was completely delusional and I stated so at the beginning of this season. A lot of fans seem to have incredibly unrealistic expectations based on God knows what. My expectation was that we would see continued improvement and development of the Oline and the DLine and as the lines go so goes the football team. We have pretty much seen exactly that.

Secondly, Here is the State of the Program: Vastly Improved over where it was 3+ yrs ago when Whipple inherited the dumpster fire left by Morris/Molnar and McCutcheon.

Anybody calling for Whipple to be removed after rebuilding the program to the point where we just defeated the top team in the SBC is frankly a completely and laughably clueless football fan.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:28 am

Jack wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:32 am First of all, anybody who thought this team was going to suddenly go from winning 2 games against Wagner and FIU to suddenly being bowl eligible was completely delusional and I stated so at the beginning of this season. A lot of fans seem to have incredibly unrealistic expectations based on God knows what. My expectation was that we would see continued improvement and development of the Oline and the DLine and as the lines go so goes the football team. We have pretty much seen exactly that.

Secondly, Here is the State of the Program: Vastly Improved over where it was 3+ yrs ago when Whipple inherited the dumpster fire left by Morris/Molnar and McCutcheon.

Anybody calling for Whipple to be removed after rebuilding the program to the point where we just defeated the top team in the SBC is frankly a completely and laughably clueless football fan.
In a vacuum beating App State looks great. Problem is we lost to Hawaii, OD and CC this season as well. Its as if every year under Whip we have started over from scratch to show some improvement as the season progresses. Each season has been the same under him. Also, the team overcame some atrocious play calling by Whip yesterday (and every game). We were bigger and stronger then App State. Why in hell throw a wide receiver double pass with a true freshmen when all you need is a yard? He wants to razzle dazzle all the time. So, the best win FBS occurred yesterday, and we probably wouldn’t have a had a shot at a game like that 4 years ago. But, aside from the Maine loss, CC is arguably the worst loss in the FBS era. The freak two week bye this year has been a godsend, but why did it take half a season to get guys ready to play. We don’t beat the teams we should under Whip consistently.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:15 pm

At the beginning of the season I felt if the team won 4 games and improvement was apparent the coach should come back, I still feel this way today.

My concern is, Whip is still putting this team in bad spots almost weekly through bad decisions. He needs an OC so he can focus on the overall performance and development of the program. I like Whip, I would love to see him be successful here but he has to make better decisions, trust the players he brought here. These are good hardworking kids with ability, put them in position to succeed and they will get it done, stop trying to come up with "gimmicks" to win football games.

We clearly have much better talent to day than before Whip so he's getting it done in recruiting, let's hope he learned from that hideous call late in the 2nd quarter, he did say it was a stupid call after the game so maybe he is realizing it. The drive to tie at the end of regulation was just sound basic football and the result was a field goal to tie. The first and second OT play calling was again sound basic football and led us to the W.

So I'm with the hire an O Coordinator crowd.

P.S. God Bless Logan Laurent!

MajBugman
Senior

Post by MajBugman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:24 pm

At the beginning of the year the team was learning a new defensive scheme. They were thinking instead of reacting and weren't playing fast. They have improved as they year has gone on. On top of that Laurent was injured and couldn't kick field goals which also cost them.

The team has improved over the season. I think last year was a disaster because they scheduled too many payday games and just plain got beat up. The upperclassmen were too small and the underclassmen were too young.

I know I am making a lot of excuses but I am in no hurry to see Whip go.
Raise the bar, do the minimum.

UMWally1832
Freshman

Post by UMWally1832 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:28 pm

Lack of OC is budget driven. By not paying an OC, Whip is able to spread the available salary budget around to fewer coaches so everyone gets a little more. Simple math.

Once the team gets cooking a little more there will be booster funding for coaching staff.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:33 pm

UMWally1832 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:28 pm Lack of OC is budget driven. By not paying an OC, Whip is able to spread the available salary budget around to fewer coaches so everyone gets a little more. Simple math.

Once the team gets cooking a little more there will be booster funding for coaching staff.
Simple math......if Whip gets fired, all of the coaches lose their jobs and their pay......Hire an OC!!

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:22 am

Budget has nothing to do with no OC.. do you know how little $200K-$250K is?

It was completely reasonable to think a bowl was possible, especially with how easy the schedule turned out to be. Hawaii was a toss up but playing at home should have been enough and UMass is better than ODU and CC (they gagged on those two). 5-4 with Maine to go would be looking good right now.. The season is a disappointment, but I would not call it a failure if they find a way to go 4-7 or 5-7.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:25 am

ESPN power rankings as us at 106.. ahead of Hawaii, ODU, and CC making those three losses tougher to swallow.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:36 am

The state of the program is improved w/lots of room for further improvement. turning from that discussion into a referendum on the Head Coach after the best win this program has had in years and after back to back victories is absurd. Try to have a little bit of class. This isn't Texas or Tennessee, we aren't cycling through head coaches every 3-4 years. first of all we can't afford to run the program like that. secondly its a moronic approach to trying to build and establish a fbs program w/continujty which is what Whipple has been doing after what he inherited when he got here 3+ yrs ago. bad play calls are inexcusable as are numerous other mistakes this team makes hence there is lots of room for continued improvement. It has been fun and challenging watching the program slowly improve - we are now much much better than 3 yrs ago. that is progress. not sure why some folks can't see that. we are going to be ranked higher than we have been in a long time, the team is improved and better than its been in a long time... so now lets fire the coach and start from scratch... .... lol makes no sense at all...

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:20 am

I think he deserves to stay if he is willing to accept that it makes sense to hand over the play calling.