State of the Progam

Get ready for some MACtion
Sheck
Hall of Fame

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Sheck » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:11 pm

One thing Charlotte was willing to do that UMass was not: leave the A10 for the betterment of their football program.
#maction 🚩#flagship

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:59 pm

Eh... honestly we knew before today that the team is really bad. Maybe it’s cause I didn’t watch (family obligations thankfully) but this loss changes nothing IMO. Too bad it isn’t a video game would be nice to simulate through the season at this point and see what happens next year ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:31 pm

Sheck wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:11 pm One thing Charlotte was willing to do that UMass was not: leave the A10 for the betterment of their football program.
Agreed, but I still don't want to be in the MAC. Conference USA isn't much better, but it's a much more natural fit for Charlotte than the MAC is for UMass.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:53 am

I'm not as clued in on the football program as I am basketball so excuse the question, but is there a good chance a lot of our good recruits decommit with the way things are going? I've read a bit about how Bell has put together the best recruiting class in UMASS history for next year, but I feel like decomittments are a lot more common in football than basketball. Anyone have a strong opinion on this? Or is it simply a wait and pray type situation?

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:16 am

Worcester_To_Amherst wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:53 am Or is it simply a wait and pray type situation?
That about sums it up for the football program in general. We knew this year could be bad, but I didn't think it would be this bad. Play the young guys to see if we have anybody that can help next year and hope this recruiting class sticks and is as good as advertised.

Carl Spackler
Junior

Post by Carl Spackler » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:18 am

Worcester_To_Amherst wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:53 am I'm not as clued in on the football program as I am basketball so excuse the question, but is there a good chance a lot of our good recruits decommit with the way things are going? I've read a bit about how Bell has put together the best recruiting class in UMASS history for next year, but I feel like decomittments are a lot more common in football than basketball. Anyone have a strong opinion on this? Or is it simply a wait and pray type situation?
That has to be a legitimate concern...if this class of verbal commitments is as good as we’ve been led to believe then I’m sure other coaches are lurking like vultures....and I can’t blame them, it’s a cut throat business.

On another note, and I preface this by saying it’s 3 games into the Bell era and we need to give him time. A coaching staff has many jobs, recruiting talent, retaining talent, developing talent, creating a “culture”, installing offenses and defenses, game planning, adjusting to the oppositions wrinkles and schemes etc, etc...I get frustrated by all the talk that Bell needs time to bring in his players, “the cupboard was left bare”, we (the 27 people that actually give a damn) have been regurgitating this idea for 7 consecutive years. Molnar had to clean up from the Morris administration, then Whipple had to fix Molnar’s ineptitude, now Bell has to rebuild from Whipple’s shortcomings. Bell lost talent....it’s called graduation, every school graduates players (or uses up their eligibility). We have lost collectively 145 to 58, we’ve been embarrassed by 2 mediocre FBS schools - Rutgers lost 30-0 to Iowa the following week, Charlotte beat FCS Garner Webb (gave up 28 points) and then lost to App St giving up 56 and we got trucked at home to FCS Southern Illinois. I’m not all that concerned with the record but more so the manner in which we’ve come to 0-3....penalties, which shows lack of discipline and attention to detail, opponents breaking off huge plays, we’ve already allowed 6 TD plays greater than 40 yards in 3 games, this points to defensive confusion which circles back to discipline and attention to detail.
I did not expect a Bowl appearance this season. I did not expect a winning record. I did expect a disciplined, organized and highly motivated football team.....we should be competitive with the 3 teams we’ve played and we have not, this lies squarely on Walt Bell.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:12 am

Losing recruits is always a concern. We'll find out how good of a recruiter Bell is based on how many stick around.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:40 am

IMO, it's the worst team since they've moved up and I can't tell if it's more the players or coaching but against Charlotte it looked like they had 9 guys on defense. Beyond the bad tackling they just don't seemed prepared for schemes. It's like they've never seen a counter run before?

gr8won
Junior

Post by gr8won » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:24 am

Impending disaster says ESPN
Any publicity is good publicity right?
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ssion=true

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:52 am

An honest and accurate assessment. Can't expect ESPN to be signing our praises!

EDIT: Singing
Last edited by InnervisionsUMASS on Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:07 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:52 am An honest and accurate assessment. Can't expect ESPN to be signing our praises!
That would tick off Sign Man. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:10 pm

What Bell needs to do is to select one or two of the best Freshman QB's and let them get the experience the rest of the season. This season looks like a lost cause so go with a young QB and work on the future.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:11 pm

69MG wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:07 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:52 am An honest and accurate assessment. Can't expect ESPN to be signing our praises!
HA!

Whoops... singing!

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:30 pm

Well the AAC is the preference, would be happy to ok with CUSA or MAC.

Being independent is not the only issue, but it's so easy to sway recruits.

Other recruiters will mention we did not have a conference or conference championship potential, an IPF, but one is finally being built, or performance has not been good for nearly a decade, no bowl agreements and one of the lowest stipends dollar amount among FBS universities. Nobody talks about how low our stipends are, but sure other recruiters mention how low ours is.

We had ONE year of a recruiting class in the top 100. People say it normally takes 6-8 years to be good in FBS, if you were not a top FCS team going in. Because it takes time and it's not the first few years that good recruits start coming in large numbers, but takes time that start showing pay dirt. That one year was Whipple’s first year and we had an impressive schedule with the last game in Hawaii.

That all went south after being independent and our performance only reached 4 wins one year. Recruiting is the life blood of any program. We can sell the university, the coaching staff, but it does not seem enough to overcome the other obstacles. If we are in a conference we can more easily sell the university and coaching staff to the other teams in the conference and the recruits are comparing apples to apples. We still have 4 games to schedule BC a P5, UConn, a regional FBS game, a regional FCS game and a pay dirt game if needed.

Being independent is not the sole issue, but it’s a significant issue. Tired of banging my head against the wall and probably go on too much about with these posts.

However, nobody answered the question in the Charlotte game thread. If basketball was independent for the past 3-4 years would we have the same quality of recruits coming in. Of course playing a national schedule. Noting basketball has a larger percentage of OOC games so more opportunities to supplement the schedule with desirable games.
Go UMass!!

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:47 pm

69MG wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:07 pm
But, in the world of SM thinking,
were we playing Central Fungus State
the scoreboard would be
Minutemen 0 - Mushrooms 0
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!