State of the Progam

Get ready for some MACtion
km109
Senior

Re: State of the Progam

Post by km109 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:46 pm

Word from Fight Massachusetts on Twitter is that it was $400K+. Can't blame him for turning that down.
https://twitter.com/FightMA247/status/1 ... 8175984640

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:54 pm

km109 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:46 pm Word from Fight Massachusetts on Twitter is that it was $400K+. Can't blame him for turning that down.
https://twitter.com/FightMA247/status/1 ... 8175984640
Wow, coach on the worst defense in the history of FBS football with DBs that couldn't tackle and be out of position from the beginning to end of the season. I have a feeling BC is in for a rough time!

pk77
Sophomore

Post by pk77 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:44 am

I am a liitle late in my response to Mr Bamfords email that tells us why he thinks he has done such a great job as AD.

He is an idiot !!! I could give a shit about GPA . we are talking football, I want to win at all costs, we have lost for too long. Yea GPA was up because all the good players left the program and there was less players. What a cover up. I don't care about what they give back to the community.. give back to the community by winning games. Give me a break , he believes he has done a great job because he met three of his four objectives, with out putting a weight on each objective.

His number one objective is winning games and that should be the most important and it should be the most heavily weighed objective. Plus if these are his 5 year objectives why is he talking just about 2019 GPA average ( were the other years bad !!)

It also sounds that community service was not good until this last year, per his own words in his letter, so if these are his 5 year objectives, why does he get an "A" for a grade just because one of the 5 years was good. This objective is important but my no means should it be weighed any where near as much as putting a good team on the field".

Interesting how Mr Carvel has putting a good team on the ice as his #1 priority:

The following is from Carvy's weekly email update. Pretty impressive:

"We never forget that hockey is just part of what we do and that to be the Gold Standard Program on campus there are three parts to it. First is being successful on the ice. Second and is giving back to the community and third is success in the classroom. I am extremely proud to announce that the team's cumulative GPA for the fall semester was 3.65!!!!! Now that's Gold Standard all day long!"

R&G
Junior

Post by R&G » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:20 am

^ This is a joke, right?

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:45 am

R&G wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:20 am ^ This is a joke, right?

I suspect not...
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:22 am

It is up to the University to educate the player; Carvel is correct, his number one priority is to put a winning team on the ice.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:14 pm

I get that some people didn’t love or even like Bamford’s email. But to hate it outright seems very strange to me.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:55 pm

Quann wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:14 pm I get that some people didn’t love or even like Bamford’s email. But to hate it outright seems very strange to me.

It has nothing to do with the email... it's hate for the person in the position. Those posts seem to be a bit more subtle than the hate McCall gets, but they exist. I haven't figured out if it's simply due to the DK stuff, or the football situation, or a bit from column A and a bit from column B... but it exists.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:40 pm

To get a solid view of Mr. pk77, sign in and search on his page of recent (12-18 months) posts. It seems that everything and anything in the UMass section of his world is a disaster. No one escapes. Life is too short!
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:09 pm

It’s great to have good students and solid character people in the program.
However if the results are 1-11 and big time blowouts, all the posturing by Bamford will not register.
Results matter.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:24 pm

vanmeter wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:09 pm It’s great to have good students and solid character people in the program.
However if the results are 1-11 and big time blowouts, all the posturing by Bamford will not register.
Results matter.
Well, considering we’ve not won with borderline students (not all, but the APR sucked), might as well try getting smart kids. (Tongue in cheek)

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:26 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:24 pm
vanmeter wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:09 pm It’s great to have good students and solid character people in the program.
Results matter.
Well, considering we’ve not won with borderline students (not all, but the APR sucked), might as well try getting smart kids. (Tongue in cheek)
This is all a smoke screen by Bamford to cover up the poor on the field performance of the team. He's been here for five years and NOW is pushing the APR and community service.

pk77
Sophomore

Post by pk77 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:43 pm

The point I was trying to make is that in Mr Bamfords email he is trying to tell you that he has done a great job, by meeting 4 out 5 objectives and based on how he lists them he feels that they all have equal weight.
They should not have equal weight. The most important one as an AD should be putting a winning team on the field. There are others that matter, but none should be any more important than winning. Winning will solve a lot of other problems.
I am so surprised that people are backing him in his self rating.
Also in regards to point that I appear to post negative messages over the last couple of years........what am I suppose to be happy about the direction of our football team or the performance of the football and basketball teams over the last few years. I am or I should say was a previous season ticket holder to both , I want the teams to win and I don't want my AD telling me he has done a great job when he hasn't !!

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:39 am

pk77 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:43 pm The point I was trying to make is that in Mr Bamfords email he is trying to tell you that he has done a great job, by meeting 4 out 5 objectives and based on how he lists them he feels that they all have equal weight.
They should not have equal weight. The most important one as an AD should be putting a winning team on the field. There are others that matter, but none should be any more important than winning. Winning will solve a lot of other problems.
I am so surprised that people are backing him in his self rating.
Also in regards to point that I appear to post negative messages over the last couple of years........what am I suppose to be happy about the direction of our football team or the performance of the football and basketball teams over the last few years. I am or I should say was a previous season ticket holder to both , I want the teams to win and I don't want my AD telling me he has done a great job when he hasn't !!
It is so hard to rate success failure at this point.... RB inherited a real dumpster fire - I am not sure who can argue against that.

I would say that the first half of the solution was addressed pretty well, he cleaned house of all the coaching dead wood. For that decision he gets an A.

The money is another thing. IMO the hoop and hockey facilities are great and on par with a lot of P5's, but the football is a near impossible nut to crack. The bubble helps in the short term, but IMO that is lipstick on a pig.

The final piece is who he has hired. That is where the rubber meets the road. Clearly he knocked it out of the park with Carvel. Women's hoop suddenly looks like it may be taking oxygen again. Men's hoop - I have my reservations still, but the current and near future roster looks like it may be a return to respectability at the very least.

That leaves football. This was and is the most damaged and the hardest one to deal with. Again, facilities are part of it, the lack of conference hurts too - but what is the answer to that, short of the AAC right now? The AAC clearly wants nothing to do with Umass - they don't win, they have lousy facilities and not enough money. We are clearly not going to follow the UConn model of deficit spending in the hopes of attracting a conference - and I applaud them for that approach. You simply cannot replace the HC every 2 years - Umass will NEVER win more that 2-4 games a year using that approach.

The jury really is out on Bell...... it is a jumbalaya of bad. Young players, over matched at the skill positions, stubborn coaching/strategy (which may or may not prove correct - but we won't know for at least 2 more years). Never mind that lack of real fan base for college football in the region and the previously mention facilities shortcomings.

IMO football will never be that good here, if Umass can win 6 games a year down the road, that would be nirvana... that is a sad outlook and probably unacceptable for most, but it is also the reality of the current state of the program.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:01 pm

If Appalachian State and Liberty can succeed in FBS Football, there is no reason why we cannot.

Football and Men's Basketball are, by far, the most important sports in college athletics and we are no better now, if not worse, 5 years into Bamford's tenure. Rest assured that if he was doing a very good job, he wouldn't still be at Umass.