State of the Progam

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
Quann
Senior

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Quann » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:29 pm

As much as we make fun of Storrs, it’s not a bad campus. Hell of a lot better location than the dumpy area around the Rent in East Hartford.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:07 pm

snores is an okay campus ....it just sucks compared to Amherst and the Valley. :D :D

PintOGuinness wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:06 am
Thanks OC for posting this article. I certainly thought it was very relatable to us - esp the paragraph about UConn football.
Then you are utterly clueless. The article had nothing whatsoever to do with UMass Football or the state of the UMass Football Program.

Next up...an article about lessons learned from the long defunct UVM Football program..... so that you and OC can pretend that it has anything to do with UMass Football..... Meanwhile we just completed the indoor practice bubble and brought in a great class of early enrollees...... but by all means lets read an article about northeastern football....and pretend it has anything to do with the State of the UMASS Program...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

We need to be focused 100% in improving the Program and getting a great product on the field in Amherst - not pretending some article about northeastern and ana maria college have anything at all to do with UMass Football.... Wake Up OC Lets try to focus !!!!

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:15 pm

Jack wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:07 pm
PintOGuinness wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:06 am
Thanks OC for posting this article. I certainly thought it was very relatable to us - esp the paragraph about UConn football.
Then you are utterly clueless. The article had nothing whatsoever to do with UMass Football or the state of the UMass Football Program.

Next up...an article about lessons learned from the long defunct UVM Football program..... so that you and OC can pretend that it has anything to do with UMass Football..... Meanwhile we just completed the indoor practice bubble and brought in a great class of early enrollees...... but by all means lets read an article about northeastern football....and pretend it has anything to do with the State of the UMASS Program...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

We need to be focused 100% in improving the Program and getting a great product on the field in Amherst - not pretending some article about northeastern and ana maria college have anything at all to do with UMass Football.... Wake Up OC Lets try to focus !!!!
Hey douchebag, where did I say the article was about UMass as you stupidly imply above? Go back to reading Breitbart.
Word to your motha!

stevemaz
Junior

Post by stevemaz » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:16 am

Happy New Year!.. in 2020 what I believe we will see is a vast improvement on the field (assuming somebody steps up to be a decent QB). Now, since we were so bad in 2019 I don't think it will translate into more than 2 or 3 wins, but maybe a few more close games as well. I also see an even better recruiting class next December (maybe crack top 65). By 1/1/21 we are all going to feel optimistic about the future as the team will be in the mix for a bowl eligibility in 2021 and get there in 2022. This will all be in time for the creation of new conference or with a shift in the AAC regional base. The A10 will be dramatically effected as they will lose the likes of Dayton, St Louis, VCU, UMass, and Rhody (which are the best 5 realignment options in the conference).

Quann
Senior

Post by Quann » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:02 pm

^^^^^
Steve, I’ll be happy with 3 wins and not getting blown out every single week. Long way to get to that point though.

jpatsfan
Junior

Post by jpatsfan » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:30 pm

stevemaz wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:16 am
Happy New Year!.. in 2020 what I believe we will see is a vast improvement on the field (assuming somebody steps up to be a decent QB). Now, since we were so bad in 2019 I don't think it will translate into more than 2 or 3 wins, but maybe a few more close games as well. I also see an even better recruiting class next December (maybe crack top 65). By 1/1/21 we are all going to feel optimistic about the future as the team will be in the mix for a bowl eligibility in 2021 and get there in 2022. This will all be in time for the creation of new conference or with a shift in the AAC regional base. The A10 will be dramatically effected as they will lose the likes of Dayton, St Louis, VCU, UMass, and Rhody (which are the best 5 realignment options in the conference).
Where are those A10 schools going to go?

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:43 pm

jpatsfan wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:30 pm
stevemaz wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:16 am
Where are those A10 schools going to go?
Dayton and St Louis to the BE, I assume. VCU to AAC?

Steve81
Senior

Post by Steve81 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:51 pm

With UConn in the Big East, would say just St. Louis as team #12. The others all have low odds. Perhaps UConn and UMass could do a FB scheduling arrangement for Bowl access staying in the A10. We could get into the AAC. Then would say less likely but possible we could do a FB only with a championship game, again staying with the A10. Even more remote than all the others, on moment, those with weak stomachs turn your head, another G5 conference.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:51 pm

Maybe if we recruit really well, benefit from some great coaching and get a few lucky bounces of the ball we too can play in the Bad Boy Lawnmowers Gasparilla Bowl in front of fewer than 14,000 fans. Is that the goal here?

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:07 pm

photoman wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:51 pm
Maybe if we recruit really well, benefit from some great coaching and get a few lucky bounces of the ball we too can play in the Bad Boy Lawnmowers Gasparilla Bowl in front of fewer than 14,000 fans. Is that the goal here?
I mean, yeah?

Going to a bowl means UMass did well against an FBS schedule. That's the exciting part. Even a low-level bowl is still the culmination of that exciting journey. A reward for a successful season.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:46 pm

^^^
This is correct. It's the ridiculousness of what FBS has become...tens of meaningless bowl games that virtually no one attends. But, if you are going to play FBS football, you aren't in a conference so there's no championship to win, and you are not a P5 school, then getting into one of these bowls has to be the goal.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:57 pm

One problem with most of the bowl games is that it costs the schools to actually play in them.

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:16 pm

Berkman wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:57 pm
One problem with most of the bowl games is that it costs the schools to actually play in them.
Yes. The school has to buy a certain amount of tickets. Hopefully if we make a bowl we will travel and not have the school have to pay.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:06 am

minutefanjsf wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:16 pm
Berkman wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:57 pm
Yes. The school has to buy a certain amount of tickets. Hopefully if we make a bowl we will travel and not have the school have to pay.
Schools pay $50k to play in the CBI. I don't see how that's any different.

Some folks expect their team to make a bowl or make the NCAA Tournament. Some folks look down on the level of the bowl game or the level of the basketball tournament. And then there are teams, like San Jose State, who raise a banner for making the first round of the CBI...

The moral of the story is beggars can't be choosers, I guess?

I look forward to UMass' first bowl game no matter where it might be or who it might be against.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:25 am

^ The Tangerine Bowl and Boardwalk Bowl don't count?