State of the Progam

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
TruBluMaroon
Senior
Posts: 1853
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:25 am

Re: State of the Progam

Post by TruBluMaroon » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:53 pm

UMassfan_19 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:13 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:56 am
This type of recruiting suggests they are trying to find a diamond in the rough... and that's concerning to me.
It also balances the qb room as he is a juco. They have the freshman from lawerence academy and are heavily recruiting another freshman qb from long island
Why don’t they recruit multiple LB’s and DB’s.... at least they can play more than one at a time...at least the ones that can tackle.

UMassfan_19
Junior
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: State of the Progam

Post by UMassfan_19 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:21 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:53 pm
UMassfan_19 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:13 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:56 am
This type of recruiting suggests they are trying to find a diamond in the rough... and that's concerning to me.
It also balances the qb room as he is a juco. They have the freshman from lawerence academy and are heavily recruiting another freshman qb from long island
Why don’t they recruit multiple LB’s and DB’s.... at least they can play more than one at a time...at least the ones that can tackle.
We have multiple dB and linebackers committed. Majority of our commited players are on the defensive side of the ball.

User avatar
Old Cage
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5759
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:49 pm
Location: The Eastern Provinces

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Old Cage » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:21 pm

econalum wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:22 am
Wow - seems like the 'close' rate for even FCS type talent is headed downward. JUCO's the only answer?
Does a JUCO who enters for this second semester count against our recruiting class limit?
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: State of the Progam

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:53 am

Old Cage wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:21 pm
econalum wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:22 am
Wow - seems like the 'close' rate for even FCS type talent is headed downward. JUCO's the only answer?
Does a JUCO who enters for this second semester count against our recruiting class limit?
Depends when they enter. Early sometimes count towards previous year. There is a cap of five I believe for this retro assignment. You’d have to have five open scholarships as well, which we did.

User avatar
Old Cage
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5759
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:49 pm
Location: The Eastern Provinces

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Old Cage » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:03 am

Here's a must read on football yes or no. Surprisingly, it was a free read for me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/spor ... stern.html

Not my reason for posting, but one section about Northeastern argues against the theory that football helps with enrollment numbers or college ranking for D1 schools.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

User avatar
MassMan06
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3161
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:59 am
Location: Eastern MA

Re: State of the Progam

Post by MassMan06 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:59 am

Old Cage wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:03 am
Here's a must read on football yes or no. Surprisingly, it was a free read for me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/spor ... stern.html

Not my reason for posting, but one section about Northeastern argues against the theory that football helps with enrollment numbers or college ranking for D1 schools.
Incredibly anecdotal. Not sure many rational people would argue that an FCS school with an average attendance of 1,500 wouldn't miss their football program.

Jack
Senior
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Jack » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:50 pm

Old Cage wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:03 am
Here's a must read on football yes or no. Surprisingly, it was a free read for me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/spor ... stern.html

Not my reason for posting, but one section about Northeastern argues against the theory that football helps with enrollment numbers or college ranking for D1 schools.

Thanks for posting a totally useless and poorly anecdotal article that has no bearing whatsoever on the University of Massachusetts or the State of the UMASS Football Program. Moreover its from the NYT which continues to lose credibility on a weekly basis. Please delete and try to stay on topic.... thanks !!

stevemaz
Junior
Posts: 582
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:23 am

Re: State of the Progam

Post by stevemaz » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:28 am

National Champs 2034!

User avatar
Old Cage
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5759
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:49 pm
Location: The Eastern Provinces

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Old Cage » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:28 am

Jack wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:50 pm
Thanks for posting a totally useless and poorly anecdotal article that has no bearing whatsoever on the University of Massachusetts or the State of the UMASS Football Program. Moreover its from the NYT which continues to lose credibility on a weekly basis. Please delete and try to stay on topic.... thanks !!
Jack and Maz - I'm glad that you guys and a few others are around to defend the minority position. I really am.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Jack
Senior
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Jack » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:04 am

Old Cage wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:28 am
Jack and Maz - I'm glad that you guys and a few others are around to defend the minority position. I really am.
OC I'm not even sure you know what the hell you are talking about. I'm around to call you out for making idiotic posts that are totally off the thread topic which is "State of the Program" Let me help you out OC - State of the Program would include: we just had the best early signing day in program history and we also just completed $18M in upgrades including the completion of the $5.6M Practice Bubble and Turf field .....posting an absurdly dumb article from the NYT about northeastern's defunct program has nothing to do with UMass Football. LOL !!!!! Get with the program OC. :D :D :D

User avatar
Old Cage
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5759
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:49 pm
Location: The Eastern Provinces

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Old Cage » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:07 am

^ Very strange. I'm guessing that #1 on most alums' list concerning the "state of the program" is whether it will survive, which you don't seem to even consider. To me, your view, taken in a much broader context than of a single message board, certainly is currently the minority view.

I hope it survives, and I hope it thrives, but after nine (!) seasons of stumbling around in the wilderness, it's easy to see why the less dedicated fan or the alum on the street is wondering.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Jack
Senior
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Jack » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:57 pm

Old Cage wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:07 am
^ Very strange. I'm guessing that #1 on most alums' list concerning the "state of the program" is whether it will survive, which you don't seem to even consider. To me, your view, taken in a much broader context than of a single message board, certainly is currently the minority view.

I hope it survives, and I hope it thrives, but after nine (!) seasons of stumbling around in the wilderness, it's easy to see why the less dedicated fan or the alum on the street is wondering.
Dear OC you seem to be operating under a very warped perspective. There is absolutely no issue at all as to the "survival" of UMASS Football. UMASS is continuously investing in and improving the Football program. Posting an absurd article from the NYT about Northeastern football has no bearing whatsoever on UMASS Football. Kindly be guided accordingly...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PintOGuinness
Junior
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:11 am
Contact:

Re: State of the Progam

Post by PintOGuinness » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:06 am

Thanks OC for posting this article. I certainly thought it was very relatable to us - esp the paragraph about UConn football.
Word to your motha!

User avatar
Steve81
Senior
Posts: 1558
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: North Quabbin Region

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Steve81 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:02 pm

PintOGuinness wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:06 am
Thanks OC for posting this article. I certainly thought it was very relatable to us - esp the paragraph about UConn football.
idk, but don't think we will be invited to the Big East anytime soon or build a new stadium over 30 miles from campus.

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: State of the Progam

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:48 pm

Steve81 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:02 pm
PintOGuinness wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:06 am
Thanks OC for posting this article. I certainly thought it was very relatable to us - esp the paragraph about UConn football.
idk, but don't think we will be invited to the Big East anytime soon or build a new stadium over 30 miles from campus.
UConn football is the road map for us to NOT follow. They are now following our lead by going IND. Getting games on campus is a must. I had a few UConn fans at homecoming who said they were going to come back to McGuirk next year for a couple of games just because the atmosphere was better than UConn. I was totally surprised because I don’t believe the hype from the AD about attendance and attracting fans, etc. However, he may be on to something. People enjoy most everything about going to games in Amherst except the game. If the games become good, watch out.

Post Reply